ANNOUNCE libmsgque 3.5, ANNOUNCE (P)rogramming (L)anguage (M)icro(K)ernel 1.0

Dave Searles

Lew said:
Dave Searles said:
Furthermore, there's the matter of practicality: the only sane way to
type an ellipsis at a standard-issue keyboard is to hit the dot key
three times. It's also the only way that will not turn into gobbledygook
for some people when emailed or posted. (Any weird beyond-ascii
character is likely to show up for many people on such media as a box, a
diamond-with-question-mark, a blank, or a plain ordinary question mark.
In this case the latter would be especially bad as the substitution is
likely to substantially alter the meaning of the affected sentence.
Besides, does nobody here remember the disaster that resulted when
people started trying to use the typographically-recommended curly
quotes on usenet? Post after post with unreadable garbage in them like
"don?t" instead of "don't". You still occasionally see posts like that.
Gah! It's nearly as annoying as top-posting, not trimming, and other
variations on the theme of aberrant quoting.)

[personal attack deleted]

It's not the newsreader. It's the systems in between that are liable to
strip everything down to seven bits.

Dave Searles

Tom said:
No, the sane way is to type option-semicolon.

I said "at a standard-issue keyboard". A standard-issue keyboard has
esc, F1 thru F12, Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Pause, `, 0 thru 9, -, =,
~, !, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, ), _, +, backspace, tab, A thru Z, a thru
z, [, ], \, {, }, |, caps lock, ;, ', :, ", enter, left and right shift,
,, ., /, <, >, ?, left and right ctrl, window, left and right alt,
space, menu, arrows, ins, home, page up, del, end, page down, num lock,
numpad /, *, -, +, ., enter, and 0 thru 9.

One semicolon. No "option".

Lars Enderin

Dave said:
Lew said:
Dave Searles said:
[...]

Not very likely nowadays. It's either newsreaders which don't handle
8-bit text correctly, or missing/misleading charset info from the poster
or from some (quoting) newsreader in between.

Mike Amling

RedGrittyBrick said:
Let me direct your attention to

<Recommendations omitted>

OK. Now I'm sitting at my keyboard, and I have no idea how to enter an
ellipsis character. How do you do it, and, if necessary, what's a good
mnemonic for that?

--Mike Amling

Tim Slattery

Mike Amling said:
OK. Now I'm sitting at my keyboard, and I have no idea how to enter an
ellipsis character. How do you do it, and, if necessary, what's a good
mnemonic for that?

The CharacterMap app on my WinXP system says to use Alt+0133. That
doesn't work in my text editor, but it does work in MS Word. And … it
works here in Agent 5.0 also.

Andreas Leitgeb

Tim Slattery said:
The CharacterMap app on my WinXP system says to use Alt+0133.

Here on linux with a German kbd, I can enter it as AltGr+. (and AltGr+,
gives me the central dot ·)

And what the … does this all have to do with either Java or the topic
of this thread?

Lew

Dave Searles said:
Lew said:
:
[...]

What "Dave Searles" fetchingly calls a "personal attack" was my statement,
quoted here in its entirety:
You need to set your newsreader to use UTF-8. This is an
international group. Would you expect someone like, say, Arne Vajhøj
to change their name because you refuse to move off the antiquated and
parochial ASCII encoding scheme?

If anything was attacked there, it was the ASCII encoding scheme. A personal
attack would be if I said that "Dave Searles" is a microcephalic troll, but
I'm most emphatically not saying that. Actually, "Dave Searles" seems to me
to be a very intelligent person, in all his aliases.

Then he goes on to say:

Lew

Mike said:
<Recommendations omitted>

OK. Now I'm sitting at my keyboard, and I have no idea how to enter an
ellipsis character. How do you do it, and, if necessary, what's a good
mnemonic for that?

On both Linux and Windows I go to the "Character Map" application and select
it from there.

On the few occasions when I want to use the character. Usually I just use
"...", which is the ellipsis triad of characters. A good mnemonic for that is
"S" if you know Morse code, but it isn't necessary.

Dave Searles

Andreas said:
Here on linux with a German kbd, I can enter it as AltGr+. (and AltGr+,
gives me the central dot ·)

How can the same keystroke, AltGr+, give you two different symbols?
And what the … does this all have to do with either Java or the topic
of this thread?

The usual: absolutely nothing.

Dave Searles

RedGrittyBrick said:
Since I can use god's own editor from within Firefox¹ and Thunderbird²,
I can type the .: digraph for an ellipsis. I can change this digraph to
anything I find more mnemonic.

Any text editor that doesn't insert exactly what you typed, and in
particular inserts something other than ".:" when you type ".:", is the
devil's own editor.

(In particular, if your editor does not insert ".:" when you type ".:",
how the hell did you get it into your post? Type ".x:" left-arrow
backspace? Yuck...)

Dave Searles

Lars said:
Dave said:
Lew said:
:
[...]

[says I'm a liar]

No, you are.

Dave Searles

Lew said:
Dave Searles said:
Lew wrote:
:
[...]

Wrong.

If anything was attacked there, it was the ASCII encoding scheme. A
personal attack would be if I said that [personal attack deleted], but
I'm most emphatically not saying that.

Good. Unfortunately, you previously suggested that the paragraphs of
mine quoted above were lies. That is also, implicitly, a personal attack.
Actually, "Dave Searles" seems to me to be a very intelligent person,
[paranoia deleted]

Why thank you. But I use no aliases, just my own name, to post here.
Lars said:
[says I'm a liar]

No, Lars is the liar.