announce: New Google C++ Testing Framework

Discussion in 'C++' started by Zhanyong, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. Zhanyong

    Zhanyong Guest

    Zhanyong, Jul 4, 2008

  2. Zhanyong

    phlip Guest

    phlip, Jul 4, 2008

  3. Zhanyong

    Guest

    , Jul 4, 2008
  4. Zhanyong

    anon Guest

    Zhanyong wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are glad to announce that today we have open-sourced Google C++
    > Testing Framework (http://code.google.com/p/googletest/), a library
    > that helps you write better C++ tests.
    >
    > You can read more about the release at
    > http://googletesting.blogspot.com/2008/07/announcing-new-google-c-testing.html.
    > Please send comments and questions to
    > .
    >
    > Looking forward to hearing from you!

    Almost the same as http://cxxtest.sourceforge.net/guide.html except your
    test framework is missing test macros for exceptions
    anon, Jul 4, 2008
  5. Zhanyong

    phlip Guest

    anon wrote:

    > Almost the same as http://cxxtest.sourceforge.net/guide.html except your
    > test framework is missing test macros for exceptions

    How does it stack up to TestUnit++?

    (Zhanyong might notice we are listing the most well-reviewed C++ unit testers
    here...)

    Zhanyong Wan wrote:

    > Phlip wrote:

    >> Can the assertions do this?

    >> http://assert2.rubyforge.org/

    > No - I'd love to have that, but am not sure how you can do it in C++,
    > which doesn't have reflection.
    >
    > What we have is predicate assertions:

    http://code.google.com/p/googletest/wiki/GoogleTestAdvancedGuide#Predicate_Assertions

    Your page does not explain that. That is Key-Yoot if it does this:

    ASSERT_PRED(operator<=, foo, bar);

    That also permits a lot of reflection. Your page _does_ say that when such as
    assertion fails, it prints out source text of foo and bar.

    Next, can your rig do the Abstract Test Pattern? That's hard unless you make
    registering test cases hard (like CppUnit does).

    --
    Phlip
    phlip, Jul 4, 2008
  6. Zhanyong

    Zhanyong Guest

    Hi, guys,

    Please send you comments to , as
    that's where we track discussions on Google Test.

    The Google Test FAQ (http://code.google.com/p/googletest/wiki/
    GoogleTestFAQ) now explains why we built Google Test instead of using
    an existing framework. You may find that useful.

    > > What we have is predicate assertions:
    > >
    > >http://code.google.com/p/googletest/wiki/GoogleTestAdvancedGuide#Pred...

    > Your page does not explain that. That is Key-Yoot if it does this:
    >
    > ASSERT_PRED(operator<=, foo, bar);
    >
    > That also permits a lot of reflection. Your page _does_ say that when such as
    > assertion fails, it prints out source text of foo and bar.

    I just checked again. The wiki says that the assertion prints the
    _values_ of foo and bar, and there are examples. :)

    > Next, can your rig do the Abstract Test Pattern? That's hard unless you make
    > registering test cases hard (like CppUnit does).

    It is being worked on - we have an experimental design but it's not
    final yet.

    If you have follow-up questions, please send to
    . Thanks!

    --
    Zhanyong
    Zhanyong, Jul 7, 2008