Announce: PythonD 2.4.2 r 1.0 for DJGPP/DOS/Windows

bdeck

Hello,

We have uploaded binary and source packages of PythonD 2.4.2 release
1.0 for DJGPP/MSDOS/Windows to the 'pythond' page at
http://www.caddit.net. All PythonD users are encouraged to upgrade.
There have been many enhancements, including:

Smaller & faster executable size.

Long Filename TSR under DOS and NT 4 is now mandatory!

$DJDIR/site_python is now searched as part of the default path
(provides room for deeper
packages under MSDOS 8-directory restriction.

Socket module has been upgraded to Watt-32 2.8 without SSL support.

An additional SSL (OpenSSL-based) library is provided separately.

Better/more stable thread support (library recompile under better env)

Limited-method release of the MS-specific 'msvcrt' module provides
DOS-specific API:
getch, getche, kbhit, putch, setmode, ungetch

Some Watt-32 specific socket errnos have been corrected from the 2.2
release.

The DB module has forked into 2 separate modules: bsddb (3.0+) and
bsddb185.
The DOS library has been recompiled based on sleepycat 3.17 release for
both.
Use of the 'bsddb' module (not 185) is prefered, although DBEnv will
not work.

Additional goodies (plenty!) have been provided under the
lib/python2.4/site-packeges
directory! Google if you don't know what they do. Dat's all folks!

#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!
The Python source itself has greatly improved. From Python website:
We are pleased to announce the release of Python 2.4, final on November
30, 2004. This is a final, stable release, and we can recommend that
Python users upgrade to this version.

Note: there's a security fix for SimpleXMLRPCServer.py - this fix is
included in 2.4.1
Python 2.4 is the result of almost 18 month's worth of work on top of
Python 2.3 and represents another stage in the careful evolution of
Python. New language features have been kept to a minimum, many bugs
have been fixed and a variety of improvements have been made.

Notable changes in Python 2.4 include improvements to the importing of
modules, function decorators, generator expressions, a number of new
modules (including subprocess, decimal and cookielib) and a host of bug
fixes and other improvements. See the (subjective) highlights or the
detailed release notes for more, or consult Andrew Kuchling's What's
New In Python for a detailed view of some of the new features of Python
2.4.

#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!#!
PYTHOND is now on IRC! Go to #pythond on irc.freenode.net!

Thanks

Ben

Harald Armin Massa

Claudio,

maybe it's because PythonD is running within DOS?

(which, for archaelogical completeness, is an ancient operating system)

Harald

Claudio Grondi

I have read the announcement and checked out the homepage, but I am still
missing the point.

May someone explain to me, what PythonD is good for?
In my eyes there is sufficient support for networking and OpenGL in Python,
so why another not compatible version?

Claudio