[ANNOUNCE] testpp unit test framework

Discussion in 'C++' started by Matt Graham, Nov 11, 2008.

  1. Matt Graham

    Matt Graham Guest

    Hi,
    This message is for:
    * people who like trying out c++ unit test frameworks
    * people who are unsatisfied with existing c++ unit test frameworks

    I fall into the 2nd group so I decided to take a shot at writing my
    own, testpp. All due respect to any of you involved in writing
    existing frameworks, but I've not found one I like yet.
    An intro (and code) for testpp is here:
    * http://github.com/mdg/testpp/tree/master/README.txt

    Here are a few items I'm already planning to do:
    * http://github.com/mdg/testpp/tree/master/BACKLOG.txt

    I'm currently using it to test a private project and this public one:
    * http://github.com/mdg/shessiond
    It works pretty well for what I need, so I'm ready to submit it for
    review and find what things that might be lacking.

    Thanks for any feedback.

    // matt

    Matt Graham, Nov 11, 2008

  2. Matt Graham

    Ian Collins Guest

    Matt Graham wrote:
    > Hi,
    > This message is for:
    > * people who like trying out c++ unit test frameworks
    > * people who are unsatisfied with existing c++ unit test frameworks

    What does it offer that existing frameworks don't?

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Nov 11, 2008

  3. Matt Graham

    Matt Graham Guest

    Re: testpp unit test framework

    On Nov 10, 11:14 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > Matt Graham wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > This message is for:
    > > * people who like trying out c++ unit test frameworks
    > > * people who are unsatisfied with existing c++ unit test frameworks

    > What does it offer that existing frameworks don't?

    There are some goals enumerated in the link, I should have included
    them in the original post. The ones that are perhaps improvements
    over other frameworks are the combination of:
    * Easy to use
    * Brief syntax, simple enough to be used without macros if desired
    * Can run individual tests, files or suites from the command line
    * Clear, operator-based assertion syntax

    Matt Graham, Nov 11, 2008