Announcement: C++ Primer, 4th edition

Andrew Koenig

C++ Primer, 4th edition, is complete and in the publisher's hands. Copies
are expected in bookstores around the end of February, and some vendors are
already accepting preorders.

This edition adds Barbara Moo to the authors (which is why I'm mentioning
it), and is a complete rewrite using many of the principles behind
Accelerated C++. In particular, it now covers vectors, strings, and
iterators before arrays and pointers.

The two books are still very different from each other. Accelerated C++
covers only material that we believe every C++ programmer needs to know, and
is organized in an unconventional way that is optimized for fast learning
but isn't intended for use as a reference. C++ Primer is much more
conventionally organized, and also includes additional material that some
programmers will need to know and others won't. It is useful both as a text
and as a reference book. For these reasons, and because the Primer proceeds
at a more leisurely pace than Accelerated C++, it is nearly three times as
long (though still substantially shorter than the 3rd edition).

I've already received email asking whether there are plans for a new edition
of Accelerated C++. The answer is no: We see no reason to revise it until
the next C++ standard is ready. Everything in it is as valid today as when
it was published. Actually, some of it is more so: There are a few
statements in Accelerated C++ that were false until C++2003 made them true
:)

You can find out more information about the C++ Primer, including the table
of contents, here:
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0201721481,00.html

Artie Gold

Andrew said:
[...]

Spammer!

;-)

--ag

Mike Wahler

Andrew Koenig said:
C++ Primer, 4th edition, is complete and in the publisher's hands. Copies
are expected in bookstores around the end of February, and some vendors are
already accepting preorders.

This edition adds Barbara Moo to the authors (which is why I'm mentioning
it), and is a complete rewrite using many of the principles behind
Accelerated C++.

Great. I have the 3rd edition and I think it's pretty good.
Having read "Accelerated C++", I feel that Barbara's contributions
can only make "C++ Primer" better.

-Mike

Anand Hariharan

Andrew said:
C++ Primer, 4th edition, is complete and in the publisher's hands. Copies
are expected in bookstores around the end of February, and some vendors are
already accepting preorders.

Considering number of pages/word-count/<some similar metric>, would one
say that this would be *THE* largest single book on C++ ever?

I'd say that the 3rd edition and TCPL (somewhat) shared that status.
best wishes,
- Anand Hariharan

Andrew Koenig

Considering number of pages/word-count/<some similar metric>, would one
say that this would be *THE* largest single book on C++ ever?

No way.
I'd say that the 3rd edition and TCPL (somewhat) shared that status.
best wishes,

Perhaps. The 3rd edition is about 1200 pages; the 4th is about 900.
I think TCPL is more than 1000.

Chris \( Val \)

| |
| > Considering number of pages/word-count/<some similar metric>, would one
| > say that this would be *THE* largest single book on C++ ever?
|
| No way.
|
| > I'd say that the 3rd edition and TCPL (somewhat) shared that status.
| > best wishes,
|
| Perhaps. The 3rd edition is about 1200 pages; the 4th is about 900.
| I think TCPL is more than 1000.

I have the "10th Printing - Special Edition"
clocked at '1020' pages, excluding the blanks :)

Cheers.
Chris Val