Announcement: Xin - a new open source xml editor for Windows

Kevin L

Hi,

I have a new sourceforge project up at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xined. It's an xml editor
designed to be user-friendly and fast.

Right now it has a short list of features including full unicode
support, syntax highlighting, tabbed mdi, and xml validation. It's
under active development and more features will arrive as I become
more familiar with various xml technologies.

It's for Win98-XP only. The download size is under a meg. The
current status is alpha 0.1, but I've been using it to develop xhtml
pages fine.

Hopefully it's of use to some people in the group. Feedback would
be most welcome.

Alexander Schatten

It's for Win98-XP only. The download size is under a meg. The
current status is alpha 0.1, but I've been using it to develop xhtml
pages fine.
I am always interested in a good XML Editor, but I also felt that it is a
complete aberration to develop an platform dependent editor for a system
that is inherently platform and system independent. It is, as far as I see
it, completely against the idea of XML.

so sorry for this one, bit Windows only is :-((

Alex

Kevin L

Alexander Schatten said:
I am always interested in a good XML Editor, but I also felt that it is a
complete aberration to develop an platform dependent editor for a system
that is inherently platform and system independent. It is, as far as I see
it, completely against the idea of XML.

so sorry for this one, bit Windows only is :-((

Alex

I don't think coding a platform-dependent editor runs contrary to
XML's principles. What's important is that the editor must assist in
generating valid xml documents in a format compatible across
platforms.

My editor right now is very unicode-centric, writing and reading
encodings from UTF-8 to UTF-32, allowing for big-endian and
little-endian encodings. It doesn't do much, but what it does I try
to stick to the spirit of the xml, however subjective that is.

Unfortunately the decision was made from the start not to support
non-Windows platforms. I wanted to keep the program fast and small
within my coding capabilities.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm sorry to say that it probably won't
ever meet your needs.

Kevin

Kevin L

Joachim Beckers said:
hi,

maybe you should think about renaming your project
xined is the eXtended InterNEt Daemon, a very important unix/linux background
service
it's quite confusing

regards

joachim

Shouldn't that be xinetd?

The two programs are different enough (daemon vs client app, unix vs
windows, & etc) that I'm really not worried.

Kevin