Announcement: Xin - a new open source xml editor for Windows

Discussion in 'XML' started by Kevin L, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Kevin L

    Kevin L Guest

    Hi,

    I have a new sourceforge project up at
    http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xined. It's an xml editor
    designed to be user-friendly and fast.

    Right now it has a short list of features including full unicode
    support, syntax highlighting, tabbed mdi, and xml validation. It's
    under active development and more features will arrive as I become
    more familiar with various xml technologies.

    It's for Win98-XP only. The download size is under a meg. The
    current status is alpha 0.1, but I've been using it to develop xhtml
    pages fine.

    Hopefully it's of use to some people in the group. Feedback would
    be most welcome.

    Kevin L, Nov 25, 2003

  2. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:22:34 -0800, Kevin L wrote:

    > It's for Win98-XP only. The download size is under a meg. The
    > current status is alpha 0.1, but I've been using it to develop xhtml
    > pages fine.

    I am always interested in a good XML Editor, but I also felt that it is a
    complete aberration to develop an platform dependent editor for a system
    that is inherently platform and system independent. It is, as far as I see
    it, completely against the idea of XML.

    so sorry for this one, bit Windows only is :-((

    Alex

    Alexander Schatten, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Kevin L

    Kevin L Guest

    "Alexander Schatten" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:22:34 -0800, Kevin L wrote:
    >

    > > It's for Win98-XP only. The download size is under a meg. The
    > > current status is alpha 0.1, but I've been using it to develop xhtml
    > > pages fine.
    > >

    > I am always interested in a good XML Editor, but I also felt that it is a
    > complete aberration to develop an platform dependent editor for a system
    > that is inherently platform and system independent. It is, as far as I see
    > it, completely against the idea of XML.
    >
    > so sorry for this one, bit Windows only is :-((
    >

    > Alex

    I don't think coding a platform-dependent editor runs contrary to
    XML's principles. What's important is that the editor must assist in
    generating valid xml documents in a format compatible across
    platforms.

    My editor right now is very unicode-centric, writing and reading
    encodings from UTF-8 to UTF-32, allowing for big-endian and
    little-endian encodings. It doesn't do much, but what it does I try
    to stick to the spirit of the xml, however subjective that is.

    Unfortunately the decision was made from the start not to support
    non-Windows platforms. I wanted to keep the program fast and small
    within my coding capabilities.

    Thanks for the feedback, but I'm sorry to say that it probably won't
    ever meet your needs.

    Kevin

    Kevin L, Nov 25, 2003
  4. hi,

    Kevin L wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new sourceforge project up at
    > http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xined

    maybe you should think about renaming your project
    xined is the eXtended InterNEt Daemon, a very important unix/linux background
    service
    it's quite confusing

    regards

    joachim

    Please remove NOSPAM in my e-mail adress to reply.

    Joachim Beckers, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Kevin L

    Kevin L Guest

    Joachim Beckers <> wrote in message news:<3fc3b9da$0$2873$>...
    > hi,
    >
    > Kevin L wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a new sourceforge project up at
    > > http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xined

    > maybe you should think about renaming your project
    > xined is the eXtended InterNEt Daemon, a very important unix/linux background
    > service
    > it's quite confusing
    >
    > regards
    >
    > joachim

    Shouldn't that be xinetd?

    The two programs are different enough (daemon vs client app, unix vs
    windows, & etc) that I'm really not worried.

    Kevin

    Kevin L, Nov 26, 2003
  6. hi,

    Kevin L wrote:
    > Joachim Beckers <> wrote in message news:<3fc3b9da$0$2873$>...

    [..]

    > Shouldn't that be xinetd?

    you're completely right
    sorry