Announcing Rev 0.2.0: a high performance event library for Ruby, nowwith 1.8.6 support

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tony Arcieri, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. Tony Arcieri

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    Rev is a Ruby library for event-driven network programming built on libev, a
    high performance C library incorporating support for a number of
    platform-specific event monitoring system calls, including epoll on Linux,
    kqueue on OS X/*BSD, and Solaris 10 event ports, as well as support for more
    traditional APIs like select() and poll(). However, Rev isn't just an event
    API, it includes a complete asynchronous sockets layer for writing network
    clients and servers, and even bundles an HTTP client.

    Previous releases of Rev targeted the experimental Ruby 1.9 branch only, but
    now I'm happy to announce that Rev 0.2.0 incorporates experimental support
    for Ruby 1.8.6. This release also brings SSL support, but unfortunately due
    to constraints in the OpenSSL extension it is only supported on Ruby 1.9.

    RDoc for Rev, including several code examples, is available at:

    http://rev.rubyforge.org/

    Rev itself is available as a gem and can be installed with:

    gem install rev

    Enjoy!

    --
    Tony Arcieri
    ClickCaster, Inc.

    Tony Arcieri, Feb 17, 2008

  2. Tony Arcieri

    Roger Pack Guest

    Re: Announcing Rev 0.2.0: a high performance event library f

    > Previous releases of Rev targeted the experimental Ruby 1.9 branch only,
    > but
    > now I'm happy to announce that Rev 0.2.0 incorporates experimental
    > support
    > for Ruby 1.8.6. This release also brings SSL support, but unfortunately
    > due
    > to constraints in the OpenSSL extension it is only supported on Ruby
    > 1.9.

    Does the drop in replacement for the socket class work with 1.8.6 then?
    Thanks!
    -Roger

    Roger Pack, Feb 20, 2008