Announcing TestNG 2.1

Cedric Beust

I am happy to announce the availability of TestNG
2.1(http://beust.com/testng).

TestNG is a testing framework inspired from JUnit and NUnit but
introducing some new functionalities that make it more powerful and
easier to use, such as:

* JSR 175 Annotations (JDK 1.4 is also supported with JavaDoc
annotations).
* Flexible test configuration.
* Default JDK functions for runtime and logging (no dependencies).
* Powerful execution model (no more TestSuite).
* Supports dependent methods.

Some of the new features include:

* invocationCount and successPercentage, which I described in a
previous entry (http://beust.com/weblog/archives/000236.html), and
which allow you to invoke a test method a certain number of times while
allowing some of these invocations to fail. If the number of failures
is under a certain threshold, the test is still considered a success.

* timeOut is now applicable to all test methods. Whether you are
running your tests in parallel or not, you can specify a time-out for
your test method and if it fails to complete within the given amount of
time, TestNG will mark it as a failure.

* dependsOnMethods was the most requested feature. You can now
specify dependencies on a method-based basis (no need to specify a
group if your dependency graph is simple). You can even mix
dependsOnMethods and dependsOnGroups.

* ... and of course, numerous bug fixes and other additions.

A special thanks to Alexandru Popescu who has pulled all-nighters to
make this release happen!

We have an exciting list of new features lined up for our next version,
among which a plug-in API, but in the meantime, enjoy TestNG 2.1.