Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

Discussion in 'Java' started by seconserv, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. seconserv

    seconserv Guest

    Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00):

    antisteg100.zip AntiSteg 1.00: Anti-Steganography

    AntiSteg is a command line tool for cleaning images of potentially
    harmful
    steganographical content. Many popular image formats (especially those
    used
    on the Web) are handled by the tool.

    Steganography is a means by which information is hidden inside of
    images
    (often via high-encryption algorithms), making them completely
    invisible to
    all standard image viewers. Stegged images can carry extremely harmful
    payloads,
    which include, but are not limited to:

    Child pornography
    Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Spamware, and other Malware
    Sensitive personal/corporate Data

    AntiSteg does not attempt to extract the actual hidden data, but
    simply antistegs
    the content, making it impossible to be retrieved at a later point in
    time.
    This approach allows it to quickly clean a computer, even if 100,000s
    of images
    are stored on it. In contrast, trying to desteg just one image which
    uses a high
    encryption encoding (256 bit or higher), and a properly selected
    password is
    computationally nearly infeasible.

    Since the amount of images stored on the Web approaches staggering
    numbers
    (anywhere from 100s of billions to trillions), the possibility to
    successfully
    store and trade/sell child pornography, distribute viruses, or
    exchange sensitive
    information is very high. Even worse, anybody who operates a web site
    (personal
    or corporate) that contains images, may unwittingly be helping
    pedophiles,
    black-hat hackers, or data spies in their operations. Of course, the
    same holds
    true for any e-mail attachment, or MMS being sent!

    Currently available antivirus, antispyware, and antimalware tools do
    NOT address
    this problem!
    Companies that allow image specific searches - like Google - do
    NOTHING to prevent
    stegged images from being spread via their services!

    Special requirements: None.

    Freeware. Uploaded by the author.

    Security Online Services

    E-Mail:


    Web:
    http://geocities.com/seconserv

    NewsGroups:
    http://groups.google.com/group/antisteg
     
    seconserv, Oct 26, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. seconserv

    Zen Clark Guest

    Lew <> writes:

    > seconserv wrote:
    >> Announcing the release of

    >
    > spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...


    Of course it's spam. The guy is using Google Groups...

    ---
    http://improve-usenet.org/
    blog spam, block Google Groups.
     
    Zen Clark, Oct 26, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:11:43 -0700 (PDT), seconserv
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    said :

    >Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00):


    how does it work? Do you just xor is some random noise in the low bit
    to scramble anything potentially hidden there?
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    The Canadian national animal should be changed from the beaver to the ostrich.
    Canadians elected a party that denies global warming so they too could pretend it presents no danger.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 26, 2008
    #3
  4. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:09:15 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >seconserv wrote:
    >> Announcing the release of

    >
    >spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...



    It is relevant to the topic. It is a free product. You are going
    knee jerk on your spam accusation.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    The Canadian national animal should be changed from the beaver to the ostrich.
    Canadians elected a party that denies global warming so they too could pretend it presents no danger.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 27, 2008
    #4
  5. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:09:15 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    > quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> seconserv wrote:
    >>> Announcing the release of

    >> spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...

    >
    >
    > It is relevant to the topic. It is a free product. You are going
    > knee jerk on your spam accusation.
    >


    The OP had an interesting choice of newsgroups.

    borland.public.delphi.graphics, comp.soft-sys.matlab,
    comp.os.linux.security, comp.lang.java.programmer, alt.2600.hackers


    --
    RGB
     
    RedGrittyBrick, Oct 27, 2008
    #5
  6. seconserv

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:09:15 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    > quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> seconserv wrote:
    >>> Announcing the release of

    >> spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...

    >
    > It is relevant to the topic. It is a free product. You are going
    > knee jerk on your spam accusation.


    It is not related to Java or programming, so I find it a bit hard to
    consider it relevant here.

    Oh - and I did bother to find the download site and then Google
    gave me:

    <quote>
    This web site at www.upfordown.com has been reported as an attack site
    and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

    Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use
    your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

    Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many
    are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
    </quote>

    I do not find it particular tempting to install after that !

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 28, 2008
    #6
  7. seconserv

    Lew Guest

    On Oct 27, 8:22 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    > > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:09:15 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    > > quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    > >> seconserv wrote:
    > >>> Announcing the release of
    > >> spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...

    >
    > > It is relevant to the topic.  It is a free product.  You are going
    > > knee jerk on your spam accusation.

    >
    > It is not related to Java or programming, so I find it a bit hard to
    > consider it relevant here.
    >
    > Oh - and I did bother to find the download site and then Google
    > gave me:
    >
    > <quote>
    > This web site atwww.upfordown.comhas been reported as an attack site
    > and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
    >
    > Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use
    > your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
    >
    > Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many
    > are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
    > </quote>
    >
    > I do not find it particular tempting to install after that !


    I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!

    For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    consider the facts.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Oct 28, 2008
    #7
  8. seconserv

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 8:22 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:09:15 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    >>> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>>> seconserv wrote:
    >>>>> Announcing the release of
    >>>> spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, Eggs & spam, ...
    >>> It is relevant to the topic. It is a free product. You are going
    >>> knee jerk on your spam accusation.

    >> It is not related to Java or programming, so I find it a bit hard to
    >> consider it relevant here.
    >>
    >> Oh - and I did bother to find the download site and then Google
    >> gave me:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> This web site atwww.upfordown.comhas been reported as an attack site
    >> and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
    >>
    >> Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use
    >> your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
    >>
    >> Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many
    >> are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> I do not find it particular tempting to install after that !

    >
    > I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >
    > For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    > consider the facts.


    Do you think we will hear from Roedy ?

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 29, 2008
    #8
  9. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    ueOn Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    >I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >
    >For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >consider the facts.
    >
    >--

    It was knee jerk. You did little investigation. I strongly suspect you
    did not even visit the website before passing your judgment. My own
    website has been blocked just as that site was. All it means is
    somebody had a grudge and sent in an unsubstantiated complaint.
    Beside, you did not even know about that block, so it could not have
    had any part in your own judgment.



    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    A vote for McCain is fearful clinging to McSame.
    A vote for Obama is a shot at Obamalot.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 29, 2008
    #9
  10. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:07:34 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >It was knee jerk. You did little investigation. I strongly suspect you
    >did not even visit the website before passing your judgment. My own
    >website has been blocked just as that site was. All it means is
    >somebody had a grudge and sent in an unsubstantiated complaint.
    >Beside, you did not even know about that block, so it could not have
    >had any part in your own judgment.


    Further it was rude. The author offered you a FREE gift, of what
    appears to me useful code you might incorporate into your own problem
    and you scream at him as if he were a child molester


    How do you treat your mother when she offers you a glass of orange
    juice? Do you say "You spamming bitch. I wanted apple juice."

    You probably do.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    A vote for McCain is fearful clinging to McSame.
    A vote for Obama is a shot at Obamalot.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 29, 2008
    #10
  11. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    >I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >
    >For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >consider the facts.


    What code have you given to the community? NOTHING. All you do is
    spit on other people's contributions.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    A vote for McCain is fearful clinging to McSame.
    A vote for Obama is a shot at Obamalot.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 29, 2008
    #11
  12. seconserv

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    >I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >
    >For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >consider the facts.


    Most of your time you spend trying to discourage newbies from pursuing
    Java. Never a word of encouragement. Nothing but put downs. You are
    a pustule on the community.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    A vote for McCain is fearful clinging to McSame.
    A vote for Obama is a shot at Obamalot.
     
    Roedy Green, Oct 29, 2008
    #12
  13. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > How do you treat your mother when she offers you a glass of orange
    > juice? Do you say "You spamming bitch. I wanted apple juice."
    > You probably do.


    First of all, it wasn't his mother (I can't really know for sure,
    but winning all lotteries in the world at the same time and surviving
    being struck by a lightning, and ... altogether seems much more likely)
    but some anonymous person, who offended lots of people with an
    excessive cross-post.

    So taking this to another real-world analogon:
    Someone approaches people randomly on a busy street and proactively
    offers them small bottles of "medicine" for free that he claims will
    protect them against "mongolean flu" (whatever that may be).

    Suppose you were approached, would you really take and apply
    that medicine on yourself? Or would you just take the bottle and
    toss it in a waste-bin around the next corner? Or wouldn't it be
    more of a public service to warn others (who may be more naive)
    from taking unknown medicine from unknown persons on the street?

    (Not that taking medicine bought from an official drugstore is
    necessarily safer ... That's another thing shared by the example
    and the case at hand ;-) It's all just about the likelihood of
    disaster. I for myself would trust the drugstore, even if they
    give away samples for free, but not a foreign man on the street.
    Also, I'd likely take the medicine, if the person dispersing it
    was my mom.
     
    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 29, 2008
    #13
  14. seconserv

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:07:34 -0700, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> It was knee jerk. You did little investigation. I strongly suspect you


    I did enough.

    >> did not even visit the website before passing your judgment. My own


    I didn't need to, as I explained.

    >> website has been blocked just as that site was. All it means is
    >> somebody had a grudge and sent in an unsubstantiated complaint.
    >> Beside, you did not even know about that block, so it could not have
    >> had any part in your own judgment.


    Nor did I claim it was. Did you even read the evidence I cited for assessing
    the clearly spamacious post as such?

    I "strongly suspect" you did not.

    > Further it was rude. The author offered you a FREE gift, of what
    > appears to me useful code you might incorporate into your own problem
    > and you scream at him as if he were a child molester
    >
    >
    > How do you treat your mother when she offers you a glass of orange
    > juice? Do you say "You spamming bitch. I wanted apple juice."
    >
    > You probably do.


    Settle down, Roedy. I described the evidence I used to form my judgment, if
    you were listening, and you will note, again if you were listening, that I did
    not use "visiting the site" as part of the evidence. The evidence of spam was
    damning enough without that.

    It was not rude. The author didn't offer me a "FREE" gift, he spammed a host
    of newsgroups with advertisement. Plain and simple.

    Bringing up my mother is rude. You are rude. You go all /ad hominem/ when
    you are wrong.

    The post was obvious spam, on the evidence. No need for knee jerk, as I
    explained and you apparently ignored, because the evidence was strong, and in
    the end, justified.

    Apparently you just feel like insulting me. It worked. I am offended.
    Thanks, Mr. Peacenik.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Oct 29, 2008
    #14
  15. seconserv

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >>
    >> For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >> consider the facts.

    >
    > Most of your time you spend trying to discourage newbies from pursuing
    > Java. Never a word of encouragement. Nothing but put downs. You are
    > a pustule on the community.


    You are rude, arrogant, nasty, unworthy and plonked.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Oct 29, 2008
    #15
  16. seconserv

    Lew Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >>> I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >>>
    >>> For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >>> consider the facts.

    >>
    >> Most of your time you spend trying to discourage newbies from pursuing
    >> Java. Never a word of encouragement. Nothing but put downs. You are
    >> a pustule on the community.


    Most of the time you spend repeating answers that others have already given
    and pointing people to your website as if you were the one providing all the
    help. Perhaps you object to the characterization of the ad at the top of this
    thread as "spam" because you fear that others will recognize that ultimately
    all your posts are actually spam for mindprod.com

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Oct 29, 2008
    #16
  17. seconserv

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > ueOn Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >> I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >>
    >> For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >> consider the facts.


    > It was knee jerk. You did little investigation. I strongly suspect you
    > did not even visit the website before passing your judgment.


    Why should he.

    Just the fact that it was not about Java and not about programming made
    it spam.

    > My own
    > website has been blocked just as that site was. All it means is
    > somebody had a grudge and sent in an unsubstantiated complaint.


    If you think so, then you really should try and install that software
    on your PC.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 29, 2008
    #17
  18. seconserv

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:07:34 -0700, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >> It was knee jerk. You did little investigation. I strongly suspect you
    >> did not even visit the website before passing your judgment. My own
    >> website has been blocked just as that site was. All it means is
    >> somebody had a grudge and sent in an unsubstantiated complaint.
    >> Beside, you did not even know about that block, so it could not have
    >> had any part in your own judgment.

    >
    > Further it was rude. The author offered you a FREE gift,


    There are also lots of email that promise you millions from
    bank accounts belonging to dead african dictators or from
    winnings in lottery's that you have not played.

    That is usually called spam not gifts.

    > of what
    > appears to me useful code you might incorporate into your own problem


    If you had bother read the post in question, then you would have seen
    that it was a command line tool not a library.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 29, 2008
    #18
  19. seconserv

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >> I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >>
    >> For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >> consider the facts.

    >
    > What code have you given to the community? NOTHING. All you do is
    > spit on other people's contributions.


    I have no idea about what Lew may have contributed or not contributed.

    How do you know what Lew has contributed ?

    Oh - and the spam post was about a binary not source code, so it
    did not really contribute any code.

    Maybe you should have read the post.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 29, 2008
    #19
  20. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Lew <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> I feel so validated. It puts a tear in my eye!
    >>
    >> For those who feel an accusation of "spam" was "knee-jerk", next time
    >> consider the facts.

    >
    > Most of your time you spend trying to discourage newbies from pursuing
    > Java. Never a word of encouragement. Nothing but put downs. You are
    > a pustule on the community.



    Here's why I think you have over-reacted:


    seconserv's entire posting history is 41 messages in 34 groups. all (so
    far as I can tell) promoting anti-steg.

    Groups include alt.books.tom-clancy, soc.culture.cambodia,
    alt.prophecies.nostradumus and so on.

    The discussion google group seconserv created contains one message with
    the same content.

    seconserv has absolutely no other history that I can find. It looks like
    an ID created specifically for promoting antisteg.

    seconserv's message seems to me to be designed to stimulate fear of what
    might be hidden in images on your computer.

    There is no source code available, only a "zip" file of the alleged program.

    The usage instructions seem to have been written in more of a hurry than
    the rest of the text. Numerous spelling errors and odd characters.

    None of the above gives me any confidence in the motives of the author
    or the real purpose of the download.


    Lew might not have known any of the above when he labelled seconserv's
    posting as spam, but I think his instincts were right in this case.

    --
    RGB
     
    RedGrittyBrick, Oct 30, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark Rae
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    643
    Mark Rae
    Mar 7, 2006
  2. William Paul Vrotney

    Announcing new public release of Lpp 1.21

    William Paul Vrotney, Feb 28, 2004, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    397
    William Paul Vrotney
    Feb 28, 2004
  3. Mark Hahn
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    703
    Carlos Ribeiro
    Sep 9, 2004
  4. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,554
    Roedy Green
    Apr 1, 2008
  5. sammyk

    Steganography

    sammyk, Apr 5, 2012, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    sammyk
    Apr 5, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page