Annoying image overflow

UKuser

Hi Folks,

Having a major annoying problem. I have a top strip which is say 15px
high and have an image which I want to overflow the line into the next
div/span etc below.

Firefox does it perfectly, I.E. forces the span containing the image
to the images height.

Another posting somewhere else suggesting setting the image to
display:block but that doesnt work.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Thanks

Els

UKuser said:
Having a major annoying problem. I have a top strip which is say 15px
high and have an image which I want to overflow the line into the next
div/span etc below.

Firefox does it perfectly, I.E. forces the span containing the image
to the images height.

Another posting somewhere else suggesting setting the image to
display:block but that doesnt work.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Display:block won't help with that, no. What you describe is just an
IE bug. Depending on the rest of the page, you could give the image
position:absolute, but it will not only get past the bottom border of
your "top strip", but it will also be ignored by anything else on the
page. I can imagine that if you know the size of the image beforehand,
you can place a left floated empty div in the right size in the next
"strip", so that text will *seem* to flow around the absolutely
positioned image.

UKuser

Display:block won't help with that, no. What you describe is just an
IE bug. Depending on the rest of the page, you could give the image
position:absolute, but it will not only get past the bottom border of
your "top strip", but it will also be ignored by anything else on the
page. I can imagine that if you know the size of the image beforehand,
you can place a left floated empty div in the right size in the next
"strip", so that text will *seem* to flow around the absolutely
positioned image.

Thanks for the information. Sorry I double posted - Google was playing
up and not refreshing to show me my posting had been successful.