Annoying Problem with a Basic Perl app and XP Pro

Arndt Jonasson

Dimitri Papoutsis said:
Oh , sorry daddy, i didn't know that... Will you please please forgive
me ...

all you said <=> q.e.d. (in my posting)

This must mean that what Anno wrote was to be proved, and now you have
done so. Right?
"trial <=> Versuch" was exactly what i meant to say. i base my criticism
upon your ignorance and missing ability of differentiated
thinking.

If "trial" means "Versuch", then "pseudo-trial" comes out as
"Pseudo-Versuch", which doesn't make much sense.

Tintin

arek said:
One Note to other users of Perl:

XP Pro is far more strict in access to files and other things then XP
Home...
Be careful when writing apps and testing them on one then trying to run
them on another

What may run without problems on XP Home, may not necessarily run on XP
Pro.

The actual problem was in Accessing File Attributes in XP Pro...
XP Pro requires Opening the File Before attempting to read Attributes..

Please post a small code snippet that supports your statement.

Tintin

Peter Wyzl said:
That is simply not true. If you believe it to be so, post a short (10
lines
or so) working program that demonstrates a requirement to open a file
before
stat will work.

I use XP Pro with both fat32 and NTFS. I have never needed to open a file
to stat it.

Maybe you have some other problem?

Well, that plainly clear.

I can never understand the attitudes of new posters to this group who get
all agressive and defensive at the slightest hint of any criticism. I
suspect most of them have social and relationship problems if they have such
a thin skin.

Anno Siegel

Dimitri Papoutsis said:
Definition: Pseudo-trial:
not even tried to do sth. but babbling as if...

A trial is an experiment (if it isn't an interrogation). The word you
want is "attempt".

Anno

Sam Holden

A trial is an experiment (if it isn't an interrogation). The word you
want is "attempt".

A lot of common usage and a few dictionaries disagree with that and
include "to make an effort to do" as one of the meanings of
try.

But I missed all the context...

Anno Siegel

Sam Holden said:
A lot of common usage and a few dictionaries disagree with that and
include "to make an effort to do" as one of the meanings of
try.

The distinction is exactly what I'm getting at, but that's "try". "Trial"
appears to have a somewhat specialized meaning.

"To see the effect we tried increasing the voltage" -- "a trial increase" (ok)
"He tried to answer the question" -- "a trial answer" (no)

Then again, there are many dialects of English -- maybe it works in some.

I love this stuff, but it's way off topic.

Anno

Sam Holden

The distinction is exactly what I'm getting at, but that's "try". "Trial"
appears to have a somewhat specialized meaning.

Ahh. I completely missed the "Pseudo-trial" part and saw only the "tried"
part.