anonymous authentication problem

Mark

Hi..

One of our webdev guys is having trouble with IIS set up on his system, particularly with anonymous authentication. On all of his web instances, he can get to non-asp pages but all asp pages return 401.3 (denied due to acl) when using HTTP/1.0 or a proxy server. It doesn't seem to be at all related to the file system, because a test file has wide-open access. And it only happens with script pages; html or other files can be retrieved

The anonymous user is the one the iis install generated, and the "IIS controls the account password" box is checked

Everything looks like it's set up properly and the same way it is on other systems. There are no authentication errors in his system's event log. So what is asp.dll not liking

Thank
-mar

MSFT

Hi Mark,

Thank you for using the community. AS I understand, when an anonymous user
request an ASP page on the IIS, it will return a 401.3 error. Based on my
experience, this kind of error is related to the Permissions settings on
the server. I suggest you may first take a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q271071
HOW TO: Set Basic NTFS Permissions for IIS 5.0

You can follow the steps in above article to grant the permission and see
if this can help.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security