another Book on the shelf

Print Guy

I got this book

Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB: A Developer's Guide to
J2EE Solutions

working through the very first chapter... created the directory
structure, created the .java and .xml files then started up Tomcat...
no luck... 404 error.

They say in the book that if you don't have a deployer .xml file you
have to type in something like this

http://localhost:7070/myApp/servlet/TestingServlet

Which I did...

HTTP Status 404 - /myApp/servlet/TestingServlet

type Status report

message /myApp/servlet/TestingServlet

description The requested resource (/myApp/servlet/TestingServlet) is
not available.

Question.. is there anyone who has seen this book and has encountered
the same error...I've checked the errata for the book and the java
class is compiled...

relogout

i sugesst you check you WEB-INF/web.xml
see whether there has a servlet mapping like following

<servlet>
<servlet-name>yourServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>com.test.YourServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>yourServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/yourServlet</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Mindundi

That book is from the times (2002) when the invoker servlet was active in
Tomcat, which let you call the servlet with urls like in your message.
Now you have to specify a mapping for your servlet, like you were told, or
activate the invoker (not recommended in production, security issues) in the
/conf/web.xml file of your Tomcat installation (search for the string
"invoker" and uncomment).
Also, I recommend you a more recent book, anyone that covers at least the
Servlet/JSP 2.4/2.0 Specification, including the JSTL.
You better not do JSP with scriptlets by now.