    behind it and colour the background of it so it makes a kind of tinted
    effect? I'm guessing no and that I should fire up PSP. Many thanks in
    advance!

    King of Red Lions, Oct 17, 2004

  2. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 17, 2004

  3. King of Red Lions wrote:

    > Okay, different question from last time about the 'transparent dic' lol!
    > Is it possible to make a div transparent so you can see the image
    > behind it and colour the background of it so it makes a kind of tinted
    > effect? I'm guessing no and that I should fire up PSP. Many thanks in
    > advance!

    See a post titled 'PNG graphics transparency' from the 12th of this month in
    alt.html.

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Oct 17, 2004
  4. King of Red Lions

    Toby Inkster Guest

    King of Red Lions wrote:

    > Is it possible to make a div transparent so you can see the image
    > behind it and colour the background of it so it makes a kind of tinted
    > effect?

    brucie's answer was good, but it's probably overkill if you "only" want a
    tinted effect.

    If you want a tinted effect then you should be able to create a
    checker-board effect GIF file:

    CTCTCTCTCTCT
    TCTCTCTCTCTC
    CTCTCTCTCTCT
    TCTCTCTCTCTC
    CTCTCTCTCTCT
    TCTCTCTCTCTC

    where the T pixels are transparent and the C pixels are your colour.

    Then set that GIF to be the background image.

    See examples 2 and 3 on this page:
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/translucency/example

    Though also read example 1.

    For a practical demonstration of the effect, visit my site (URL in sig) in
    a decent browser (e.g. Opera or Mozilla) and choose one of these style
    sheets from the drop down menu: Purple Flower, Red Flower, Saturn, Wheat.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 17, 2004
  5. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
    >

    >> Is it possible to make a div transparent so you can see the image
    >>behind it and colour the background of it so it makes a kind of tinted
    >>effect?

    > alpha images
    >
    > demo (not supported by IE)
    > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html
    >
    > fix for IE
    > http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

    That's not really what I'm looking for, what I was hoping to acheieve is
    something like they have done at ...

    http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

    .... the way the back of the divs or whatever they are are see through
    but slightly tinted. How is this done? Many thanks in advance!

    King of Red Lions, Oct 17, 2004
  6. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    > ... the way the back of the divs or whatever they are are see through
    > but slightly tinted. How is this done?

    they fake it. two images, one faded out and one normal.

    stick normal image at the back. stick faded image in whatever is
    overlapping the back image. use css to align the overlapping image with
    the back image so it now looks like a single image.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 17, 2004
  7. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 17, 2004
  8. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
    >

    >>... the way the back of the divs or whatever they are are see through
    >>but slightly tinted. How is this done?

    > they fake it. two images, one faded out and one normal.
    >
    > stick normal image at the back. stick faded image in whatever is
    > overlapping the back image. use css to align the overlapping image with
    > the back image so it now looks like a single image.

    How would one go about positioning a background image?

    King of Red Lions, Oct 17, 2004
  9. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    >> stick normal image at the back. stick faded image in whatever is
    >> overlapping the back image. use css to align the overlapping image with
    >> the back image so it now looks like a single image.

    > How would one go about positioning a background image?

    quick and dirty demo:
    http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/background-foreground-image-alignment-thingy.shit

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  10. King of Red Lions

    rf Guest

    rf, Oct 18, 2004
  11. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    > http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/background-foreground-image-alignment-thingy.shit

    > Is that your backyard brucie?

    frontyard looking roughly north. its the right hand side fence line
    follow it for about another km and you get to the front access road.

    > I can see the fence but I fail to notice any trail bikes caught up in the
    > razor wire.

    thats way up the back. i haven't done the fence yet but i have concreted
    in a pole in readiness. i'm about to drive around the fence line to
    check it after the storm last night so i'll take a photo of it just for
    you.

    > Did you finally deter them?

    once i fence this bit i have about another 4 bits to do but i wont worry
    until they find them.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  12. King of Red Lions

    rf Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > i'm about to drive around the fence line to
    > check it after the storm last night

    Did it put out the fire down in Brisbane?

    We had some rain last night. 12mm. Great stuff. The creek is even flowing
    again :)

    > so i'll take a photo of it just for
    > you.

    K.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 18, 2004
  13. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    >> i'm about to drive around the fence line to
    >> check it after the storm last night

    > Did it put out the fire down in Brisbane?

    no idea

    > We had some rain last night. 12mm. Great stuff. The creek is even flowing
    > again :)

    still dry here.

    >> so i'll take a photo of it just for you.

    i'm cold, i'm wet, had to dig the gate open, i'm covered in shit, poor
    truckie wuckie was almost bogged and the batteries in the camera were
    flat <snif/> i don't want to play anymore. <sob/> i'm taking my ball and
    going home.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  14. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    >> so i'll take a photo of it just for you.

    > K.

    1 x 200mm x 1150mm post set in 80kg of concrete [1]
    http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/post01.jpg [59k]

    [1] with bonus rustic style water pipe sign.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  15. King of Red Lions

    rf Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > 1 x 200mm x 1150mm post set in 80kg of concrete [1]
    > http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/post01.jpg [59k]

    Strewth.

    Post is bigger than the nereby *trees*.

    That post is going exactly nowhere. You could hang a truckload of fences off
    that post.

    > [1] with bonus rustic style water pipe sign.

    which will be outlived by the post, probably by centuries :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 18, 2004
  16. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    >> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/post01.jpg [59k]

    > Strewth. Post is bigger than the nereby *trees*.

    of course. the big nearby trees were felled to make the big posts

    > That post is going exactly nowhere. You could hang a truckload of fences off
    > that post.

    heres one i prepared earlier:
    http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/post02.jpg [51k]

    >> [1] with bonus rustic style water pipe sign.

    > which will be outlived by the post, probably by centuries :)

    i hope so

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 18, 2004
  17. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
    >

    >>>stick normal image at the back. stick faded image in whatever is
    >>>overlapping the back image. use css to align the overlapping image with
    >>>the back image so it now looks like a single image.

    >>How would one go about positioning a background image?

    > quick and dirty demo:
    > http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/background-foreground-image-alignment-thingy.shit

    Just to make this a little mroe complicated, I have a div nested in
    another div. The container div is centered on the page and the nested
    div is 300px from the left inside the container div. Now I managed to
    get it working fine but when I change the screen resolution the faded
    background image of the nested div seems to end up in Australia!!!
    Pleeease help me, thanks!

    King of Red Lions, Oct 20, 2004
  18. King of Red Lions

    rf Guest

    King of Red Lions wrote:

    > brucie wrote:

    > Just to make this a little mroe complicated, I have a div nested in
    > another div. The container div is centered on the page and the nested
    > div is 300px from the left inside the container div. Now I managed to
    > get it working fine but when I change the screen resolution the faded
    > background image of the nested div seems to end up in Australia!!!
    > Pleeease help me, thanks!

    <looks around/> Nope, I can't see it anywhare over here.

    Now, just sit back, relax, and look at this post. Read what you wrote.

    Do you really think that anybody anywhere would have any clue whatsoever
    about what your problem is without looking at the page in question?

    Here is a guess: you are using % for positioning.

    What is the URL?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 20, 2004
  19. King of Red Lions

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html King of Red Lions said:

    > Just to make this a little mroe complicated, I have a div nested in
    > another div. The container div is centered on the page and the nested
    > div is 300px from the left inside the container div.

    [looks around for URL, shrugs, distracted by bright shiny thing and wanders off]

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 20, 2004
  20. King of Red Lions

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:35:01 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > In alt.html King of Red Lions said:
    >
    >> Just to make this a little mroe complicated, I have a div nested in
    >> another div. The container div is centered on the page and the nested
    >> div is 300px from the left inside the container div.

    > [looks around for URL, shrugs, distracted by bright shiny thing and
    > wanders off]

    Saw a T-shirt which would be good for you...

    "I don't have attention deficit disorder, I can concentrate on... Oh look,
    a chicken!"

    Neal, Oct 20, 2004