    main for content. Is there a better method? the url is
    www.glenmeadows.com for those that would like a peek.

    Wayne
    Wayne, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Wayne

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:35:38 GMT, Wayne <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    > print them without other content.

    Look into print stylesheets.

    > Is there a better method?

    <link rel="stylesheet" src="print.css" media="print">
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Wayne

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:35:38 GMT, Wayne <> wrote:

    > I have been reading that frames are evil for a very long time, however,
    > I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    > print them without other content. The documents are about 20 pages
    > long. I have two framesets, one with the menu and a banner, ane the
    > main for content. Is there a better method? the url is
    > www.glenmeadows.com for those that would like a peek.
    >
    > Wayne

    Use CSS.

    @media print {

    div#menu, div#banner {display: none;}

    }

    See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/media.html#x0 for more info.

    Basically, have everything in divs according to page function. The content
    div is all you want printed, so the other divs are set to not print as
    above.
    Neal, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Wayne

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:ek2fc.8862$>
    Wayne <> said:

    > I have been reading that frames are evil for a very long time, however,
    > I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    > print them without other content.

    1. dump the frames
    2. setup a style sheet for the printer

    for example if you don't want your menu printed you can hide it from the
    printer:

    @media print{#menu-stuff{display:none;}}

    Media types
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html

    3. warn and let the visitor decide if they want to use your printer css
    or not. they may get upset expecting what they see to print but getting
    something else. a simple bit of scripting can do it.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > in post: <news:ek2fc.8862$>
    > Wayne <> said:
    >

    >>I have been reading that frames are evil for a very long time, however,
    >>I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    >>print them without other content.

    > 1. dump the frames
    > 2. setup a style sheet for the printer
    >
    > for example if you don't want your menu printed you can hide it from the
    > printer:
    >
    > @media print{#menu-stuff{display:none;}}
    >
    > Media types
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html
    >
    > 3. warn and let the visitor decide if they want to use your printer css
    > or not. they may get upset expecting what they see to print but getting
    > something else. a simple bit of scripting can do it.

    Thank you. I didn't realize that was an option. Guess I have a lot
    more reading to do.

    Wayne
    Wayne, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Wayne

    Richard Guest

    Wayne wrote:

    > I have been reading that frames are evil for a very long time, however,
    > I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    > print them without other content. The documents are about 20 pages
    > long. I have two framesets, one with the menu and a banner, ane the
    > main for content. Is there a better method? the url is
    > www.glenmeadows.com for those that would like a peek.

    > Wayne

    http://1-large-world.com/samples/sample1.html

    Remove the left sidebar and you have your site without frames.
    With a little education on the use of z-index, you could have just one page
    for each menu item.
    Z-index "hides" an item until it's needed.
    Richard, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Wayne

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    > > I have been reading that frames are evil for a very long time, however,
    > > I have a site with documents on it and would like users to be able to
    > > print them without other content. The documents are about 20 pages
    > > long. I have two framesets, one with the menu and a banner, ane the
    > > main for content. Is there a better method? the url is
    > > www.glenmeadows.com for those that would like a peek.

    >http://1-large-world.com/samples/sample1.html

    Is the content meant to be _below_ the menu? It's a very odd design if
    it is. And the order when CSS is disabled (menu, header, content,
    footer) is less than ideal as well.

    >Remove the left sidebar and you have your site without frames.

    Gosh that's useful. And how exactly does this solve the OP's problem
    with printing? (Don't bother, the correct answer using print
    stylesheets has already been given.)

    >With a little education on the use of z-index, you could have just one page
    >for each menu item.
    >Z-index "hides" an item until it's needed.

    You really are obsessed with z-index aren't you? z-index does not
    'hide' elements at all. It stacks them in layers, which may or may not
    hide part or all of an element depending on several factors. To hide
    elements use display: none; or visibility: hidden;

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Apr 14, 2004