    Guest

    >From the web site:
    "Why Microsoft can Blow-Off with C#? These people have thought up
    programming languages Fortran, Prologue, Ada."

    The author is ignorant. Fortran was invented by IBM in the late 1950s,
    long before Microsoft existed. Ada was commissioned by the U.S.
    Department of Defense in the 1970s. The Prolog programming language is
    not spelled "Prologue".

    , Jan 8, 2005

  2. Pierre Quentel

    Jan Dries Guest

    wrote:
    >>From the web site:

    > "Why Microsoft can Blow-Off with C#? These people have thought up
    > programming languages Fortran, Prologue, Ada."
    >
    > The author is ignorant. Fortran was invented by IBM in the late 1950s,
    > long before Microsoft existed. Ada was commissioned by the U.S.
    > Department of Defense in the 1970s. The Prolog programming language is
    > not spelled "Prologue".

    I don't think that "these people" is refering to Microsoft. Instead, it
    is refering to the three pictures below the text. I assume they are the
    pictures of the respective authors of these languages.

    The bottom line of the article is that languages authored by men with
    beards are more successful than those authored by people without beards.
    At least the anecdotical evidence to that is overwhelming :)

    And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
    beard :)
    http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/-big/IMG_3061.jpg

    Regards,
    Jan

    Jan Dries, Jan 8, 2005
  3. Pierre Quentel

    Max M Guest

    Max M, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Michael Sparks, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Pierre Quentel

    Rick Parsons Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:18:15 +0100, Jan Dries wrote:

    <snip>

    > The bottom line of the article is that languages authored by men with
    > beards are more successful than those authored by people without beards.
    > At least the anecdotical evidence to that is overwhelming :)
    >
    > And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
    > beard :)
    > http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/-big/IMG_3061.jpg
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jan

    What about languages USED by men with beards? There may be hope for me
    yet.

    Regards,
    Rick

    Rick Parsons, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Pierre Quentel

    Jon Perez Guest

    Jon Perez, Jan 12, 2005
  7. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:54:49 +0800, Jon Perez <> wrote:

    >Max M wrote:
    >> Jan Dries wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
    >>> beard :)
    >>> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/-big/IMG_3061.jpg

    >> LOL, he is working on linux, isn't he?
    >>
    >> So it was about bloody time.

    >Guido Van Rossum is now working on linux??

    Are they both left-handed? Hm, sinister ...

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter

    Bengt Richter, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Pierre Quentel

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Terry Reedy, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Pierre Quentel

    Jon Perez Guest

    Jon Perez, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Pierre Quentel

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Jon Perez" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a cached copy where the photos are present?
    >
    > The whole thing makes little sense with the photos gone.
    >
    > Pierre Quentel wrote:
    >> http://khason.biz/blog/2004/12/why-microsoft-can-blow-off-with-c.html

    It would hardly make more sense with the photos.

    "Not the law is clear? There is a beard - there is a success.
    There is no beard - you are guilty. "

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jan 12, 2005
  11. Pierre Quentel

    Jon Perez Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:

    > It would hardly make more sense with the photos.

    The photos would be graphic evidence and would make
    it more entertaining to read through.

    > "Not the law is clear? There is a beard - there is a success.
    > There is no beard - you are guilty. "
    >
    > Terry J. Reedy

    And what about the moustache issue and Grace
    Hopper (COBOL is/was a very popular language but
    very much maligned and criticized like Perl and
    BASIC whose creators had moustaches instead of
    beards) ?

    Also, what about C#? AFAIK, Heljsberg has neither
    beard nor moustache, or is he sprouting one now (no
    pic to confirm...)?

    Jon Perez, Jan 13, 2005