Another newbie question from Nathan.

Nathan Pinno

Hi all.

How do I make the computer generate 4 random numbers for the guess? I want
to know because I'm writing a computer program in Python like the game
MasterMind.

Thanks.

--
Nathan Pinno
http://www.npinnowebsite.ca/

Brian van den Broek

Nathan Pinno said unto the world upon 02/07/2005 02:25:
Hi all.

How do I make the computer generate 4 random numbers for the guess? I want
to know because I'm writing a computer program in Python like the game
MasterMind.

Thanks.

Hi Nathan,

do you know how to make a program doing anything 4 times? If so, do
that :)

Here's one way:
.... guess = []
.... for i in range(4):
.... guess.append(random.random())
.... return guess
....[0.21236215888513332, 0.096166729147619479, 0.037667620585694728,
0.77529759474635485]
I doubt you need numbers between 0 and 1, but adjust to suit.

I'd also suggest that you might find the Tutor list of real help.
not knowing how to do stuff like this -- few were born knowing, after
all -- but the Tutor list specializes in answering in a way targeted
to beginners. It's where I learned much of what I know.

Best,

Brian vdB

Steven D'Aprano

Hi all.

How do I make the computer generate 4 random numbers for the guess? I want
to know because I'm writing a computer program in Python like the game
MasterMind.

First you get the computer to generate one random number. Then you do it
again three more times.

If you only need to do it once, you could do it this way:

import random # you need this at the top of your program
x0 = random.random()
x1 = random.random()
x2 = random.random()
x3 = random.random()

But if you need to do it more than once, best to create a function that
returns four random numbers in one go.

def four_random():
"""Returns a list of four random numbers."""
L = [] # start with an empty list
for i in range(4):
L.append(random.random())
return L

and use it this way:

rand_nums = four_random()
# rand_nums is a list of four numbers
print rand_nums[0] # prints the first random number
print rand_nums[3] # prints the last one

or like this:

alpha, beta, gamma, delta = four_random()
# four names for four separate numbers

Nathan Pinno

Hi all,

How do I make Python get a def? Is it the "get" function, or something
else? I need to know so that I can get a def for that computer
MasterMind(tm) game that I'm writing.

BTW, I took your advice, and wrote some definitions for my Giant
Calculator program. Might make the code easier to read, but harder to code
because I have to keep going to the top to read the menu. Not that fun, but
necessary for a smooth program, I guess.

Nathan Pinno

"Steven D'Aprano said:
>> Hi all.
>> How do I make the computer generate 4 random numbers for the guess? I want
>> to know because I'm writing a computer program in Python like the game
>> MasterMind.
> First you get the computer to generate one random number. Then you do it
> again three more times.
> If you only need to do it once, you could do it this way:
> import random # you need this at the top of your program
> x0 = random.random()
> x1 = random.random()
> x2 = random.random()
> x3 = random.random()
> But if you need to do it more than once, best to create a function that
> returns four random numbers in one go.
> def four_random():
> """Returns a list of four random numbers."""
> L = [] # start with an empty list
> for i in range(4):
> L.append(random.random())
> return L
> and use it this way:
> rand_nums = four_random()
> # rand_nums is a list of four numbers
> print rand_nums[0] # prints the first random number
> print rand_nums[3] # prints the last one
> or like this:
> alpha, beta, gamma, delta = four_random()
> # four names for four separate numbers
> Steven.

johng2001

Nathan said:
Hi all,

How do I make Python get a def? Is it the "get" function, or something
else? I need to know so that I can get a def for that computer
MasterMind(tm) game that I'm writing.

BTW, I took your advice, and wrote some definitions for my Giant
Calculator program. Might make the code easier to read, but harder to code
because I have to keep going to the top to read the menu. Not that fun, but
necessary for a smooth program, I guess.

Nathan Pinno

Read the following tutorials first, perhaps in that order.

http://honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/
http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html