Another Question on Error Handling

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tom Jastrzebski, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Hello everybody,

    Here is how I understand ASP.Net processes the request in the context of
    error handling:
    the working process in the ProcessRequestMain() method (?) creates the Page
    object, page controls, triggers page events like Init and Load - exact order
    and details are unimportant.

    What is important is that inside ProcessRequestMain() execution each of
    those steps is enclosed within try/catch block, and if any exception is
    caught HttpUnhandledException is being rethrown and the ProcessRequestMain()
    method terminates.

    Here is the question: is the any way to alter this behavior, so the
    ProcessRequestMain() method does NOT terminate if, let's say, one of
    controls being loaded causes exception, so the Page.Error event is triggered
    but the process continues and other controls get loaded.

    Conceptually, what I am looking for is similar to the
    AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException event handling mechanism.

    I know about best practices and I really know how exceptions should be
    handled in a perfect world but currently my world is less than perfect and I
    have good reasons to temporarily do it that way.

    Thank you,

    Tomasz

    Tom Jastrzebski, Feb 12, 2006