Another related OO Python ?

Doug Epling

hey, does anyone find the UML useful during Python development of larger
projects?

Eric Brunel

Doug Epling said:
hey, does anyone find the UML useful during Python development of larger
projects?

Well, UML being very Java/C++ oriented, I found out that Python idioms
were really difficult to represent in the diagrams. So I'm using it to a
very small extent and for documentation only, just to give an idea about
how classes are organized. For the rest, and IMHO, it's really too
impractical to be of any use.

RJB

Well, UML being very Java/C++ oriented, I found out that Python idioms
were really difficult to represent in the diagrams. So I'm using it to a
very small extent and for documentation only, just to give an idea about
how classes are organized. For the rest, and IMHO, it's really too
impractical to be of any use.

Which of the 13 diagrams have tried and rejected?-)

Eric Brunel

RJB said:
Which of the 13 diagrams have tried and rejected?-)

Diagrams that aren't too bound to the language like e.g the deployment
diagram can still be used, of course. I was mainly talking about the
class diagram, which is still the central point of a model. But I even
found sequence diagrams quite hard to write for Python, unless they are
very simplistic ones.

RJB

 RJB said:
Diagrams that aren't too bound to the language like e.g the deployment
diagram can still be used, of course. I was mainly talking about the
class diagram, which is still the central point of a model. But I even
found sequence diagrams quite hard to write for Python, unless they are
very simplistic ones.

Yes. Especially if you draw interactions with a tool and make them
tidy. I believe in very rough and rapid sketches in pencil or chalk.

Complex code either needs rethinking or in the worst case an activity
diagram, IMHO.

Of course doing the diagrams by hand after the code is OK .... How do
you justify the time spent doing it?