ANT deploy remote

Discussion in 'Java' started by abchilla, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. abchilla

    abchilla Guest

    Dear group,

    i am issuing a big problem. I want to do following.

    I am working on a server, where Tomcat is installed. On my local server
    i am programming with eclipse. I am using a build.xml file to compile
    the code as a WAR and stuff. What i want to do now is to deploy this
    war on the remote server. I know there are commands for this. I am able
    to stop the application on the server. I am using a Log File and the
    thing is, when i undeploy the application on remote, the app is
    deleted, but not the whole path, because it is being used by tomcat
    somehow. So i cant deploy the application again. Therefore i need to
    stop tomcat via remote, not the application (manager) i dont know how
    to do this.

    i want to stop tomcat

    delete the folder of my webapp

    start tomcat

    deploy the war on the server.

    can anyone tell me if it is possible to stop and start tomcat, not the
    application?

    for any help i would be soooo thankful

    thanks in advance

    kind regards

    asad bajwa
    abchilla, Nov 2, 2006

  2. abchilla

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>,
    abchilla ('') wrote:

    > Dear group,
    >
    > i am issuing a big problem. I want to do following.
    >
    > I am working on a server, where Tomcat is installed. On my local server
    > i am programming with eclipse. I am using a build.xml file to compile
    > the code as a WAR and stuff. What i want to do now is to deploy this
    > war on the remote server. I know there are commands for this. I am able
    > to stop the application on the server. I am using a Log File and the
    > thing is, when i undeploy the application on remote, the app is
    > deleted, but not the whole path, because it is being used by tomcat
    > somehow. So i cant deploy the application again. Therefore i need to
    > stop tomcat via remote, not the application (manager) i dont know how
    > to do this.

    http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html

    The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
    the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.
    Simon Brooke, Nov 3, 2006

  3. abchilla

    abchilla Guest

    hi,

    this was not a really a help, due i said, i need to stop the tomcat on
    remote, not working with the manager ! as is said before, it is no
    problem for me deploying, stopping, applications, but i need to stop
    tomcat on the remote server. if i use the exec it starts, stops tomcat
    on the computer, the command was given from by just using the tomcat
    path as location.

    abchilla, Nov 6, 2006
  4. "abchilla" <> writes:

    > hi,
    >
    > this was not a really a help, due i said, i need to stop the tomcat on
    > remote, not working with the manager ! as is said before, it is no
    > problem for me deploying, stopping, applications, but i need to stop
    > tomcat on the remote server. if i use the exec it starts, stops tomcat
    > on the computer, the command was given from by just using the tomcat
    > path as location.

    You may have to find a German group to ask this in; it's
    difficult to tell the difference between you being vague
    about what you want and you having trouble with the language.

    But I'll take one more shot: you were referred to the
    manager documentation at
    http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html

    The answer is in there. You need to read the section
    "Executing Manager Commands With Ant".

    --
    Mark Jeffcoat
    Austin, TX
    Mark Jeffcoat, Nov 6, 2006
  5. abchilla

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>,
    abchilla ('') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke schrieb:
    >
    >> in message <>,
    >> abchilla ('') wrote:
    >>
    >> > i am issuing a big problem. I want to do following.
    >> >
    >> > I am working on a server, where Tomcat is installed. On my local
    >> > server i am programming with eclipse. I am using a build.xml file to
    >> > compile the code as a WAR and stuff. What i want to do now is to
    >> > deploy this war on the remote server. I know there are commands for
    >> > this. I am able to stop the application on the server. I am using a
    >> > Log File and the thing is, when i undeploy the application on remote,
    >> > the app is deleted, but not the whole path, because it is being used
    >> > by tomcat somehow. So i cant deploy the application again. Therefore i
    >> > need to stop tomcat via remote, not the application (manager) i dont
    >> > know how to do this.

    >> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html

    > this was not a really a help, due i said, i need to stop the tomcat on
    > remote, not working with the manager ! as is said before, it is no
    > problem for me deploying, stopping, applications, but i need to stop
    > tomcat on the remote server. if i use the exec it starts, stops tomcat
    > on the computer, the command was given from by just using the tomcat
    > path as location.

    OK, why do you need to stop Tomcat on the remote server? I confess this is
    something I frequently do do, but I think it is lazy and bad practice.
    Does deleting the application through the manager app, and then
    reinstalling the application through the manager app, not work? If not,
    what precisely is the error message?

    When I need to restart any of my tomcats it's a matter of

    ssh <servername> -l root
    /etc/init.d/tomcat5 restart

    but, like I say, I don't see this as good practice and don't recommend you
    do it (and, in any case, the precise command will depend on the operating
    system you are using server side).

    Oh, and, no, you can't ssh to my servers from outside my firewall, so it's
    reasonably safe to allow root ssh.

    /-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
    |-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)?
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?
    Simon Brooke, Nov 6, 2006
  6. abchilla

    abchilla Guest

    Hi there,

    i know this is a really bad solution. i am working on an application,
    which i did not implement. If i stop the application with the manager
    and try to delete the application, all files are deleted, but the Log
    files. So the folder is not deleted, which i have to do after stopping
    tomcat and deleting it manual (because it is used by tomcat during
    running somehow). This is the reason why I wanted to know how to stop
    tomcat, in order deleting that folder. I know it would be the better
    way trying figurin out, why not the application is removed cleanly. But
    i dont have any clue, why this is happening.

    So thank you for your support.
    abchilla, Nov 10, 2006
  7. abchilla

    Andy Dingley Guest

    abchilla wrote:

    > What i want to do now is to deploy this war on the remote server.

    Try reading "Java Development with Ant" (Manning Press). This describes
    most permutations of Tomcat deployment with Ant, and what you can do
    with it.
    Andy Dingley, Nov 10, 2006