Ant for Perl?

kj

Has anyone used Ant in conjunction with Perl?

I am considering it, in desperation, because I have not been able
to find a more Perl friendly tool for carrying out tasks with
dependencies.

Everything I have found out there is too specialized around the
problem of building a software distribution. In C. On Unix.

The tasks I have in mind have nothing to do with building software,
and only a small fraction of them have anything to do with generating
files from other files. In fact, most of the tasks involve
interrogating and/or updating a large database, or downloading
remote data.

I find that make and "make replacements" are too limited in how
they determine whether a task needs to be updated.

Ant, despite being in Java (which I don't like one bit), at least
offers more flexibility in how tasks are determined to be up-to-date.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

kj

P.S. I know about Cons, but I find its documentation useless; for
this reason alone, even if Cons met all my requirements I can't
recommend it to my team.