Ant for Perl?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    Has anyone used Ant in conjunction with Perl?

    I am considering it, in desperation, because I have not been able
    to find a more Perl friendly tool for carrying out tasks with
    dependencies.

    Everything I have found out there is too specialized around the
    problem of building a software distribution. In C. On Unix.

    The tasks I have in mind have nothing to do with building software,
    and only a small fraction of them have anything to do with generating
    files from other files. In fact, most of the tasks involve
    interrogating and/or updating a large database, or downloading
    remote data.

    I find that make and "make replacements" are too limited in how
    they determine whether a task needs to be updated.

    Ant, despite being in Java (which I don't like one bit), at least
    offers more flexibility in how tasks are determined to be up-to-date.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    kj

    P.S. I know about Cons, but I find its documentation useless; for
    this reason alone, even if Cons met all my requirements I can't
    recommend it to my team.

    kj, Aug 30, 2005

  2. A. Sinan Unur, Aug 30, 2005