Antwerp getting close.. who'll be there?

Discussion in 'Java' started by softwarepearls_com, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Devoxx (ex JavaPolis) is just 3 weeks away. I wonder if any cljp
    regulars will attend? Apparently groups can self-organize via the
    Devoxx site to arrange lunch/evening get togethers.. any interest?

    (disclaimer: I have no links to the organizers)
     
    softwarepearls_com, Nov 17, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. softwarepearls_com

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:49:28 -0800 (PST), softwarepearls_com
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    who said :

    >Devoxx (ex JavaPolis) is just 3 weeks away. I wonder if any cljp
    >regulars will attend? Apparently groups can self-organize via the
    >Devoxx site to arrange lunch/evening get togethers.. any interest?


    The problem with such a conference is the temptation to play tourist
    would be overwhelming. In Canada, anything over 80 years is a heritage
    building. Over there 1600 is commonplace.

    It is such a clean beautiful country, with all kinds of modern green
    technology to delight as well. Sometimes it feels like being on the
    set of some futuristic movie. I had an all too short trip there in
    2000, and I still think about it almost every day.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Your old road is
    Rapidly agin'.
    Please get out of the new one
    If you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'.
     
    Roedy Green, Nov 17, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. softwarepearls_com

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:49:28 -0800 (PST), softwarepearls_com
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    > who said :
    >
    >> Devoxx (ex JavaPolis) is just 3 weeks away. I wonder if any cljp
    >> regulars will attend? Apparently groups can self-organize via the
    >> Devoxx site to arrange lunch/evening get togethers.. any interest?

    >
    > The problem with such a conference is the temptation to play tourist
    > would be overwhelming. In Canada, anything over 80 years is a heritage
    > building. Over there 1600 is commonplace.


    Not so much in Antwerp, due to the combined efforts of the RAF and the
    Luftwaffe (each in the pay of the English and German tourism agencies,
    respectively).

    Even outside Antwerp, and even in less-bombed parts of Europe, buildings
    dating from the fifth century are fairly rare. You've got the products of
    the classical civilisations, often far more than 1600 years old, but the
    fifth century is smack bang in the middle of the Dark Ages, being the
    twilight of the Roman empire (in the west, generally reckoned to end in
    476), and well before the dawn of the proper middle ages around 1000.
    There wasn't a lot of building of anything much going on. For copious and
    substantial buildings from that period, the areas that came under Muslim
    rule in the middle east would be a better bet!

    tom

    --
    Work alone does not suffice: the efforts must be intelligent. -- Charles
    B. Rogers
     
    Tom Anderson, Nov 17, 2008
    #3
  4. softwarepearls_com

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:49:28 -0800 (PST), softwarepearls_com
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    >> who said :
    >>
    >>> Devoxx (ex JavaPolis) is just 3 weeks away. I wonder if any cljp
    >>> regulars will attend? Apparently groups can self-organize via the
    >>> Devoxx site to arrange lunch/evening get togethers.. any interest?

    >>
    >> The problem with such a conference is the temptation to play tourist
    >> would be overwhelming. In Canada, anything over 80 years is a heritage
    >> building. Over there 1600 is commonplace.

    >
    > Not so much in Antwerp, due to the combined efforts of the RAF and the
    > Luftwaffe (each in the pay of the English and German tourism agencies,
    > respectively).
    >
    > Even outside Antwerp, and even in less-bombed parts of Europe, buildings
    > dating from the fifth century are fairly rare. You've got the products
    > of the classical civilisations, often far more than 1600 years old, but
    > the fifth century is smack bang in the middle of the Dark Ages, being
    > the twilight of the Roman empire (in the west, generally reckoned to end
    > in 476), and well before the dawn of the proper middle ages around 1000.
    > There wasn't a lot of building of anything much going on. For copious
    > and substantial buildings from that period, the areas that came under
    > Muslim rule in the middle east would be a better bet!


    Maybe he meant from 1600 and not 1600 years old.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 18, 2008
    #4
  5. softwarepearls_com

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:49:28 -0800 (PST), softwarepearls_com
    >>> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
    >>> who said :
    >>>
    >>>> Devoxx (ex JavaPolis) is just 3 weeks away. I wonder if any cljp
    >>>> regulars will attend? Apparently groups can self-organize via the
    >>>> Devoxx site to arrange lunch/evening get togethers.. any interest?
    >>>
    >>> The problem with such a conference is the temptation to play tourist
    >>> would be overwhelming. In Canada, anything over 80 years is a heritage
    >>> building. Over there 1600 is commonplace.

    >>
    >> Not so much in Antwerp, due to the combined efforts of the RAF and the
    >> Luftwaffe (each in the pay of the English and German tourism agencies,
    >> respectively).
    >>
    >> Even outside Antwerp, and even in less-bombed parts of Europe, buildings
    >> dating from the fifth century are fairly rare. You've got the products of
    >> the classical civilisations, often far more than 1600 years old, but the
    >> fifth century is smack bang in the middle of the Dark Ages, being the
    >> twilight of the Roman empire (in the west, generally reckoned to end in
    >> 476), and well before the dawn of the proper middle ages around 1000. There
    >> wasn't a lot of building of anything much going on. For copious and
    >> substantial buildings from that period, the areas that came under Muslim
    >> rule in the middle east would be a better bet!

    >
    > Maybe he meant from 1600 and not 1600 years old.


    Good point.

    tom

    --
    life finds a way
     
    Tom Anderson, Nov 18, 2008
    #5
  6. softwarepearls_com

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:56:29 +0000, Tom Anderson
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    said :

    >> Maybe he meant from 1600 and not 1600 years old.

    >
    >Good point.


    yes. That is what I meant. Britain was similar. They had Roman ruins
    as well which just blew me away, and of course Stonehenge. I was
    leading a workshop at the time, but happily my hosts took me to see
    all manner of interesting things.

    The Europeans have such an odd combination of the very old and the
    very modern.

    Just the olfactory experience of walking down a Belgian street is
    heavenly.

    The cities are designed for people, not cars. This ultra modernity
    comes from cities being laid out long before the car was invented.

    I felt a bit like a visitor from some primitive planet visiting one
    that had a 100,000 year jump on mine. My land of strip malls is so
    tawdry and tedious in comparison. We in Canada have spectacular
    natural settings and work ceaselessly to despoil them.

    Anyone who hasn't been to Europe, I would say, SOMEHOW wangle a trip.
    Being there is a totally different experience from reading about it or
    seeing videos. If you go on a conference, pad your time as much as you
    can get away with.

    If you live in one place, and don't travel, you fall into the trap of
    thinking that is the only way to do things.

    "I am glad to have smelt a Chinese crowd, and a Sicilian village,
    though I cannot pretend my pleasure was very great at the moment."
    ~ Bertrand Russell, The Conquest of Happiness
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Your old road is
    Rapidly agin'.
    Please get out of the new one
    If you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'.
     
    Roedy Green, Nov 18, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Denon
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    603
    Saravana [MVP]
    Nov 14, 2003
  2. Daniel Albisser
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,155
    GaryM
    Apr 7, 2004
  3. Paul van Rossem
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    622
    Paul van Rossem
    Apr 7, 2005
  4. bob gmx
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    387
    bob gmx
    Mar 24, 2005
  5. Iñaki Baz Castillo
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    946
    Iñaki Baz Castillo
    Jan 12, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page