any Adobe Reader like apps written in python, for examination?

Alex Gittens

Is anyone aware of any applications that handle font and graphics
display--- something like Adobe Reader--- that are written in Python,
and the code is available for examination? It doesn't matter what GUI
toolkit is used.

Thanks,
Alex

garabik-news-2005-05

Alex Gittens said:
Is anyone aware of any applications that handle font and graphics
display--- something like Adobe Reader--- that are written in Python,
and the code is available for examination? It doesn't matter what GUI
toolkit is used.

Grail comes to my mind immediately, it is however rather dated.
Otherwise, displaying simple graphics and text in pygame is trivial -
but it is not the right way if you need a GUI.

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

Alex Gittens

Yeah, pygame is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a good
example of cross platform non-trivial page-layout and font handling.
The project I'm working on-- a typographically correct interface to a
CAS-- requires pixel-perfect font handling.

I'll definitely look into Grail: I'm sure as a browser it has to
address these problems. But I'm open to further suggestions.

Thanks,
Alex

John J. Lee

Alex Gittens said:
Yeah, pygame is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a good
example of cross platform non-trivial page-layout and font handling.
The project I'm working on-- a typographically correct interface to a
CAS-- requires pixel-perfect font handling.

I'll definitely look into Grail: I'm sure as a browser it has to
address these problems. But I'm open to further suggestions.
[...]

Grail was a research project -- not sure "pixel-perfect" is something
you'd *expect* to find there, but maybe you'll be lucky.

Sketch, OTOH, is certainly worth a look. It's a vector graphics app.
IIRC it does handle bitmaps.

John