Any affordable Python-based CRM & ERP solutions?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Will, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Hi all,

    Please excuse the longish post. I'm new to Python (and programming),
    but love what I see and believe it to be an important language.

    I have (at least) one retail client (with single outlet at present)
    that requires a total business solution for their operation,
    preferably open source. They need:

    - an ecommerce website providing sales, customer service, order
    tracking and an opt-in newsletter
    - system for tracking inventory
    - full accounting system, tied-into the ecommerce website-- so full
    front-end and back-end system integration
    - possibly even point of sale tied-into the above.

    They've been using Windows up until now, but are happy to consider
    Linux, BSD, Mac, etc, as long as there's not a huge learning curve
    (they merely want a solution that works and is cost-effective). Other
    than standard accounting reporting requirements, they need the ability
    to add tax to local transactions.

    I have Googled with not a lot of contenders (Compiere--
    http://www.compiere.org/index.html -- not Python and an Oracle license
    is required to run it; and I've just started reading about Bizar
    Shop-- http://www.bizarshop.com.au/). Anything else I've seen is
    either really expensive, doesn't fit the bill, or are not Python-based
    (which I'd ultimately like to promote).

    Because of the above requirements I was thinking something quite
    modular (that could be added to in future) would be the way to go. I
    like what I have seen with Plone and Zope but am unsure at present
    (given limited experience with these products) how one would integrate
    something into those solutions (if package didn't come from one
    'vendor'), so that at least on the surface, everything appeared pretty
    seamless.

    Is this wishful thinking in Python at present? If so, have you
    encountered any other open source solutions that cover part of the
    above with Python handling the rest (and being easily integrated)?

    I look forward to any feedback. Thanks very much in advance.

    Cheers,

    Will :)
    Will, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Will