Any Application Containers exist?

Discussion in 'Java' started by unomystEz, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. unomystEz

    unomystEz Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a 5 TCP servers that are tightly knit together and I'm using
    Tanukis Software's JavaWrapper to faciliate running the servers as
    daemons (on Linux and Windows). For scalability the servers are
    distributed over machines - each of the servers are capable of
    providing redundancy and load-balancing , so we can run 5 of Server A
    and 2 of Server B, etc.. (think of IRCd)

    Because each server has its own set of config file: tanukis', log4j,
    iBATIS, some custom ones, etc.. it makes deploying these servers a
    little bit troublesome and error-prone. I'm thinking of taking the
    approach of Servlet Containers like Tomcat to basically act as a
    container for deploying the servers (even multiple copies of the
    servers). It would be nice to just drop in a war file and have the
    server start up (maybe even getting it's config from a central server).

    Anyone know of any application servers that can just run the
    main(String... args) entry-points of alreayd existing applications? Or
    perhaps if provide an interface to implement to start, stop, restart
    services?

    Now the deployment process is as follows: compile the project, package
    it in jars, attach the default config files, upload it to a central
    server, turn it into a linux or freebsd package, install the package on
    the dest. server, configure it, test it, etc...

    I think if I did have to just provide a simple Servlet entry point to
    each of the apps (instead of main()) it work but I would have to fix up
    the config file loading.

    Any thoughts on this?

    unomystEz, Oct 21, 2006