any charitable hmtl guru needed!!

Andy Dingley

Bergamot said:
That explains a lot. Their own web site is a mass of bloated, 1996-style
code with a few CSS bits thrown in. It looks like crap in my browser,

Ouch! That is one _nasty_ site.

cassia

Bergamot said:
That explains a lot. Their own web site is a mass of bloated, 1996-style
code with a few CSS bits thrown in. It looks like crap in my browser,
too. Not atypical for a bunch of graphic designers who try to do web
design, too. They have no business teaching HTML, since they don't seem
to understand it themselves. ;)

Complain to the school. Nothing will get better if nobody speaks up.

You can't design a web site if you don't understand the basics. Your
instructor apparently skipped the fundamentals, so it's no wonder you
are lost.

Someone else pointed you to the W3C specs, but that can be hard to
swallow for a newbie. HTMLDog has been a recommended tutorial in these
parts before, but I've never read through it myself. Maybe it will be
easier to comprehend than the W3C site.
http://htmldog.com/

Good luck, you'll probably need it.
You're not kidding!
Thanks for that site, you're right, those other sites were so foreign
to me!

cassia

JJ said:
the one post made by 'leo' was a good tip.. that W3.org website has
lots of good info on it if you look hard enough.. and you could get
together with some other students i would think.. also every college
(especially universities) will have a free tutor program. Or you could
just cheat by using a wysiwyg editor and claiming the code as your
own. I like WYSIWYG4 www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com and pagebreeze
www.pagebreeze.com just delete the auto signature... Happy cheating or
whatever you decide to do.. Oh you could also download an a book..
lots are free.. and you have time to do that.. Next wednesday? thats
plenty of time to go buy a book.. stop making excuses and put your
nose to the grindstone. and try the www.w3.org website, its a good
reference.

It sounds ridiculous that you werent assigned books to go with the
class.. that sounds crazy.. you know she doesnt have to 'supply' the
books right?

Of course she doesn't need to literally "supply" the books, but for a
newbie, I would expect a list of books to reference...believe me, I
KNOW they don't supply the books, I wouldn't be paying $500 per
semester if they did

the books you need are listed in the course description
and you are supposed to buy them prior to class..

None listed...that's where my biggest frusteration lies.

i hope youre being
honset about this.. it sounds fishy... BUT whatever, i dont care, if
the class really is as bad as you say then i would suspect you arent
the only dissatisfied student.

I'm definitely not the only dissatisfied student, which explains why
none of them can help me either. If I wanted to truly cheat, I'd just
copy the source code of another website, I actually would like to learn
how to do this sort of stuff. (not necessarily as a carreer though
:)

I would get them to sign a statement or

cassia

Bergamot said:
[...]

This might sound silly, but what do you mean by "bloated"?

JJ

have you asked the teacher what books you need? does she just says you
dont need any.. or i dont have time to teach using an actual
curriculum based technique. Cuz I cant imagine that.. UNLESS the class
isnt a credit based class.. that sounds ok for a non-credit class.

also if you want to learn then take the advice of the people who
posted here and learn the right way.. if your goal is to pass the
class then cheat because it doesnt seem worth learning what she is
teaching. I still think you should ask for a refund.. and you'll
probably get one too if you arent the only student who complains.

Good luck with your project, i hope the cost of class wasnt expensive

cassia

JJ said:
have you asked the teacher what books you need? does she just says you
dont need any.. or i dont have time to teach using an actual
curriculum based technique. Cuz I cant imagine that.. UNLESS the class
isnt a credit based class.. that sounds ok for a non-credit class.

also if you want to learn then take the advice of the people who
posted here and learn the right way..

Yes, and I am greatful!!

if your goal is to pass the
class then cheat because it doesnt seem worth learning what she is
teaching. I still think you should ask for a refund.. and you'll
probably get one too if you arent the only student who complains.

Good luck with your project, i hope the cost of class wasnt expensive

It's the cost of getting a degree...it's all expensive, but in the end
you can say you have one (even if you have to take some bad classes
along the way) :)

JJ

QUOTE:
It's the cost of getting a degree...it's all expensive, but in the end
you can say you have one (even if you have to take some bad classes
along the way) :)

i agree.. credentials are nice to have.. but remember, you only have
to go to college to 'get' a degree.. but not to 'say' you have one :)

Jonathan N. Little

by the way, I understand that I shouldn't design my page in photoshop,
but it seemed to work well enough for my first webpage

http://cc.usu.edu/~cassia/indexpage.html

I just used image maps
Here is what I got in Lynx:

INDEX PAGE
[USEMAP:indexpage.jpg]

I'd say your content is king! ;-)

Seriously, this is not a webpage, it is an image of a webpage.

Leonard Blaisdell

"cassia said:
It's the cost of getting a degree...it's all expensive, but in the end
you can say you have one (even if you have to take some bad classes
along the way) :)

Jump through the hoops. Get your degree. Then make waves. Professors and
their assistants have an outrageous amount of influence over your future
while you're in college.

leo

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Olli_M=E4ntyranta?=

Bergamot said:
Someone else pointed you to the W3C specs, but that can be hard to
swallow for a newbie. HTMLDog has been a recommended tutorial in these
parts before, but I've never read through it myself. Maybe it will be
easier to comprehend than the W3C site.
http://htmldog.com/

Perhaps you might also read a thread in this group: How do you design a
website, there you will learn why you have to follow steps:

1) Organize the content (the text your mother wants on her website)
2)Write the markup to display this content (html) without giving a
minute for look'n'feel. Just write text with appropriate markup.
3)design layout and add necessary coding to html.

Following things other people have perhaps told you already, and perhaps
I have forgotten to mention some essentials, but here are some easy
caveats to avoid:

Don't forget to define the content type. In your case html 4.01 strict
might be your choice (http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/Doctype). Don't use
tables for making layout. Don't use javascript in the manner that makes
page impossible to use for someone who doesn't use javascript.
Don't write text in image, there is always someone who can't see the image.

After you have added the content-type in the beginning of your code,
drop source cod into validator:http://validator.w3.org/
The validator point you mistakes you've done.

Stop the class - do it now - you only learn bad habits there

Olli