    frustrated by the unnecessary and unhelpful complexity of the
    documentation currently available.

    Thank you.

    djohnson, Aug 4, 2005

  2. djohnson

    djohnson Guest

    Or if not, could comebody please just enlighten me as to the command
    for displaying a popup message? There is such a forest of information
    that I can't find the answer to this simple question in a search. Your
    help is greatly appreciated.

    djohnson, Aug 4, 2005

  3. djohnson

    Andre Kostur Guest

    "djohnson" <> wrote in news:1123165287.141475.114990
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Or if not, could comebody please just enlighten me as to the command
    > for displaying a popup message? There is such a forest of information
    > that I can't find the answer to this simple question in a search. Your
    > help is greatly appreciated.

    You're in the wrong newsgroup. comp.lang.c++ is for Standard C++. There's
    no such thing as a "popup message" in Standard C++. You'll need to ask in
    a platform or vendor-specific newsgroup for this.

    Andre Kostur, Aug 4, 2005
  4. djohnson

    __PPS__ Guest

    cplusplus.com? I personally started from there.

    C++ does't deal with message boxes. If you are on windows, look for
    MessageBox api docs on windows.com

    __PPS__, Aug 4, 2005
  5. djohnson

    djohnson Guest

    Thank you. Yes I am on windows using MS Visual C++.

    djohnson, Aug 4, 2005
  6. djohnson

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "djohnson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any reference guides, preferably online, for MS Visual C++

    There's a plethora of information on Microsoft Visual C++
    at www.msdn.microsoft.com. But note that an implementation
    is not the language. The C++ language itself is topical
    here, specific implemementations are not.

    > (or generic C++ probably is fine too),

    There are many good books on standard C++. See www.accu.org
    for peer reviews. There's only one online book I know of that
    I'd recommend: Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" -- www.mindview.net

    >that give a simple overview of
    > the most commonly used C++ functions

    Probably the most commonly used C++ functions are those which
    are part of the standard library. For good explanations and
    tutorials for those, see this book: www.josuttis.com
    There are also many online standard library references, e.g.
    at www.dinkumware.com

    >and techniques (like the command
    > to display a popup message for instance)?

    The C++ language does not define anything such as 'popup' or 'message',
    so of course there's no standard function offered by the language.

    Perhaps you're looking for instruction with the Microsoft Windows
    API? In that case, present your questins in a Windows newsgroup,
    e.g. comp.os-ms-windows.programmer.win32

    > I need something that even a
    > 3rd grader can understand, since I'm not a programming professional
    > dedicated to C++, but simply working on a little application at home.

    IMO if you're not *serious* about programming and spending the necessary
    time to learn, then C++ is not for you. C++ is a *huge, complex* language,
    that takes (even professionals) years to master. Perhaps you'd be better
    off with a simpler language.

    > I know I'll get bashed for saying this but I can't be the only one
    > frustrated by the unnecessary and unhelpful complexity of the
    > documentation currently available.

    If you have a C++ implementation whose documentation is wanting,
    I suggest shopping for a different one. There are many decent
    free ones on the net.

    Finally, if you select only materials (books, etc) which discuss the
    standard C++ language, then which implementation you use doesn't matter
    (as long as it's reasonably standard-compliant).

    > Thank you.

    You're welcome.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 4, 2005
  7. djohnson

    djohnson Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > "djohnson" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Are there any reference guides, preferably online, for MS Visual C++

    > There's a plethora of information on Microsoft Visual C++
    > at www.msdn.microsoft.com. But note that an implementation
    > is not the language. The C++ language itself is topical
    > here, specific implemementations are not.

    This is the very first question I've posted regarding C++ and it was
    not clear to me where to post it. Now I know. Thanks.

    > > (or generic C++ probably is fine too),

    > There are many good books on standard C++. See www.accu.org
    > for peer reviews. There's only one online book I know of that
    > I'd recommend: Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" -- www.mindview.net
    >
    > >that give a simple overview of
    > > the most commonly used C++ functions

    > Probably the most commonly used C++ functions are those which
    > are part of the standard library. For good explanations and
    > tutorials for those, see this book: www.josuttis.com
    > There are also many online standard library references, e.g.
    > at www.dinkumware.com
    >
    > >and techniques (like the command
    > > to display a popup message for instance)?

    > The C++ language does not define anything such as 'popup' or 'message',
    > so of course there's no standard function offered by the language.
    >
    > Perhaps you're looking for instruction with the Microsoft Windows
    > API? In that case, present your questins in a Windows newsgroup,
    > e.g. comp.os-ms-windows.programmer.win32

    I did mention I was using MS Visual C++ so yes.

    > > I need something that even a
    > > 3rd grader can understand, since I'm not a programming professional
    > > dedicated to C++, but simply working on a little application at home.

    > IMO if you're not *serious* about programming and spending the necessary
    > time to learn, then C++ is not for you. C++ is a *huge, complex* language,
    > that takes (even professionals) years to master. Perhaps you'd be better
    > off with a simpler language.

    Well I'm serious, but I do not have the luxury or fortune of being
    able to use it for work. I have to use it during the small amount of
    time I have at home because I have no choice in the matter. It's not
    like I can decide my career, some corpoartion does. I've had
    experience with many facets of computers including scripting languages,
    embedded programming, database server administration, multimedia
    programming, and have decided to use C++ at home as a way to avoid
    having to deal with less powerful tools.

    > > I know I'll get bashed for saying this but I can't be the only one
    > > frustrated by the unnecessary and unhelpful complexity of the
    > > documentation currently available.

    > If you have a C++ implementation whose documentation is wanting,
    > I suggest shopping for a different one. There are many decent
    > free ones on the net.

    Are you making reference to MS? I don't like dealing with this evil
    company but MS rules us, so it's not like I have a choice. I know
    their online documentation is intentionaly useless because they want to
    sell their certification classes. But I would think that MS would make
    the language most suitable to write apps for the OS which we have no
    choice but to use.

    > Finally, if you select only materials (books, etc) which discuss the
    > standard C++ language, then which implementation you use doesn't matter
    > (as long as it's reasonably standard-compliant).

    I know, I need to become better at reading the APIs but even then I
    would need some kind of *friendly* overview of the most commonly used
    procedures, due to the immensity of the APIs.

    Dave

    djohnson, Aug 4, 2005
  8. djohnson wrote:

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    >> "djohnson" <> wrote in message

    > I've had experience with many facets of computers including scripting
    > languages, embedded programming, database server administration,
    > multimedia programming, and have decided to use C++ at home as
    > a way to avoid having to deal with less powerful tools.

    Well thats a good start, but "Power is nothing without control", so if you
    want the power of C++ you will have to learn to control it, or it will blow
    into your face.

    A few references to books that are more or less considered canon:

    Stroustrups' - The C++ Programming Language, Special Edition.
    Nicolai M. Josuttis' - The C++ Standard Library
    Scott Meyers - Effective C++ Third Edition
    Andrei Alexandrescu - Modern C++ Design

    There are many more, but they are a good start.

    >> Finally, if you select only materials (books, etc) which discuss the
    >> standard C++ language, then which implementation you use doesn't matter
    >> (as long as it's reasonably standard-compliant).

    > I know, I need to become better at reading the APIs but even then I
    > would need some kind of *friendly* overview of the most commonly used
    > procedures, due to the immensity of the APIs.

    I think whats even more important is that get yourself an overview of the
    alternatives. What do you want to archive? C++ has no standard API for GUI
    Programming, so you have to choose from the rich variaty of third Party
    Libraries.

    There are a couple of free ones which are also Cross Platform, like
    wxWindows, Trolltech's QT (comes with a very friendly Documentation), gtk,
    etc. Serch this or comp.lang.c++.moderated's archive for GUI, and there
    should be a whole lot of threads discussing this in detail.
    (or have a look at
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html )

    HTH

    Fabio

    Fabio Fracassi, Aug 4, 2005
  9. djohnson

    djohnson Guest

    I've almost completed developing a USB device and want to use C++ as
    the front end application development tool. If these cross platform
    implementations are better than 'a certain other implementation' I'd
    have to try it in order to get customers on other platforms. Your
    website looks very useful. Thanks.

    djohnson, Aug 4, 2005