Any Eclipse equivalent to WSAD server perspective?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jay Eckles, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Jay Eckles

    Jay Eckles Guest

    At my day job I use WSAD, and I'm just getting Eclipse setup at home
    for some personal projects. I've found the Sysdeo Tomcat Plugin which
    is helpful for creating Tomcat projects and starting/stopping Tomcat.
    However, I'm wondering if there's an Eclipse tool out there that
    provides an equivalent to the Server perspective in WSAD. I'd like
    something that allows me to more easily edit server.xml and web.xml,
    especially when it comes to deploying servlets and such.

    Googling didn't come up with anything. I know there's an Eclipse Web
    Tools Project, it seems to be in the early stages with no actual tools
    available yet.

    Anyone have any favorites, or am I relegated to hacking the xml files
    directly?

    Thanks,

    Jay

    Jay Eckles, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Jay Eckles

    egor Guest

    Hello Jay.

    ## On 18 Feb 2004 20:16:20 -0800
    ## Jay Eckles wrote:

    > At my day job I use WSAD, and I'm just getting Eclipse setup at home
    > for some personal projects. I've found the Sysdeo Tomcat Plugin which
    > is helpful for creating Tomcat projects and starting/stopping Tomcat.
    > However, I'm wondering if there's an Eclipse tool out there that
    > provides an equivalent to the Server perspective in WSAD. I'd like
    > something that allows me to more easily edit server.xml and web.xml,
    > especially when it comes to deploying servlets and such.

    > Googling didn't come up with anything. I know there's an Eclipse Web
    > Tools Project, it seems to be in the early stages with no actual tools
    > available yet.

    > Anyone have any favorites, or am I relegated to hacking the xml files
    > directly?

    You don't have to hack any of Tomcat's configs file (I suppose server.xml
    and web.xml are config file of Tomact?) because Tomcat support hotdeploy.
    All what you want to do is pack you appilcation in WAR file ant put this
    file to webbapp directory of Tomcat. Tomcat will instantly pick it up
    and deploy.

    You even don't have to create web.xml inside WEB-INF folder of your WAR
    by hand. Check out XDoclet (http://xdoclet.sf.net). It generates XML
    deployments desriptors directly from your source code.

    Actually you can set up ANT script (ant is natively supported by Eclipse)
    which will generate deployment descriptors (with XDoclet), compile your
    servlets, pack'em into WAR file and move this file to Tomcat's webapps
    directory. All in one click.

    Regards,
    Egor

    egor, Feb 19, 2004