Any editors that can match <table> and </table> tags?

howboutafresca

Hi everybody,

I have to add new information to existing web pages. The trouble comes
in that these pages are loaded with tables, and tables within tables.
Looking at the raw HTML I have a hard time figuring out where to add
new rows and columns.

Are there any WYSIWYG or other editors that allow me to select a
tremendously. Thanks!

Andy Dingley

Are there any WYSIWYG or other editors that allow me to select a

Most XML-aware editors (jEdit is free) will do this, so long as the
preceding markup is somewhere _near_ to being well-formed as either
SGML or XML. Halfway decent HTML is usually near enough, although
sometimes you might have to drop a strong hint (either rename the file
to .xml, put an XHTML doctype on the top, or simply tell the editor to
treat all HTML documents as XML-formed)

Or you could run it through Tidy first, if it's really bad.

Jonathan N. Little

Hi everybody,

I have to add new information to existing web pages. The trouble comes
in that these pages are loaded with tables, and tables within tables.
Looking at the raw HTML I have a hard time figuring out where to add
new rows and columns.

Are there any WYSIWYG or other editors that allow me to select a
tremendously. Thanks!

I would like to add that your situation here is the *prime* example of
that tables are *not* easier layout 'tool' than CSS. When it come to
editing and making changes to the style and theme it can be a real
nightmare. Sometimes is can be faster in the long run just to grab the
plain text, paste into proper markup and then style to suit in your
stylesheet then to futz with nested table crap...

dorayme

Hi everybody,

I have to add new information to existing web pages. The trouble comes
in that these pages are loaded with tables, and tables within tables.
Looking at the raw HTML I have a hard time figuring out where to add
new rows and columns.

Are there any WYSIWYG or other editors that allow me to select a
tremendously. Thanks!

You could try Firefox with the developer extensions. These tools
allow a great deal of information to be seen on the web page,
outlinining elements and so on. You can then trial your changes
"live" by altering things.

jussij

Are there any WYSIWYG or other editors that allow me to
select a <table> tag and then see the matching </table>
tag?

FWIW the Zeus for Windows IDE can fold several HTML tags
including the <TABLE> and </TABLE>, provided the HTML
code is well formatted:

http://www.zeusedit.com/html.html

Basically given some HTML code as follows:

[-] <TABLE>
Any number of lines of HTML code
. </TABLE>

Zeus will folded this away to:

[+] <TABLE> ... </TABLE>

and if no matching </TABLE> tag is found it gets
folded away to this:

[+] <TABLE> ...

This feature can help when trying to locate matching tags ;)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).