    want it?

    This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
    see the larger images.

    Richard, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Richard

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >
    > Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
    > As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
    > the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
    > In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
    > position based upon the "home" location.
    >
    > What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
    > want it?
    >
    > This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
    > see the larger images.

    For a start, you've got a <P> inside a <SPAN> element. Bad.

    Secondly, this is a horrible effect.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    > http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >
    > Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
    > As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries

    of

    What "span block"?

    In any case span is, by default, an inline element so to call it a span
    "block" is totally misleading.

    Ah I see you have changed its display property to block with CSS, presumably
    because you can't use a div there.

    This idea was originally published here by brucie IIRC. Yep, it was.

    > the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
    > In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
    > position based upon the "home" location.

    Didn't I answer this yesterday? Go over to the recommendation and read up on
    positioning (which you claim to know So Much about) and containing elements.
    Not parent elements. Not the root element of the DOM. Containing elements.
    Then consider IE's broken box model re same.

    > What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
    > want it?

    Shove it in the toilet.

    This page is totally stuffed in both IE and FF.

    rf, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Richard wrote :
    > http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >
    > Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
    > As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
    > the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
    > In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
    > position based upon the "home" location.
    >
    > What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
    > want it?
    >
    > This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
    > see the larger images.

    lots of validation problems. fix them then see if you have any problems
    still.

    --
    have a bbq with no meat whatsoever at least once

    Disco Octopus, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Richard wrote:

    > http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

    "<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
    work.<br>
    You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"

    How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    > Attempting to overcome the problem

    You'll never be able to do that. Find another hobby.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:00:03 -0500 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >> http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

    > "<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
    > work.<br>
    > You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"

    > How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
    No javascript required to redirect ya know.
    Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

    Richard, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:00:03 -0500 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    > Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit? No javascript
    > required to redirect ya know.

    Yes, I would like to see it.

    There are several ways to do a redirect when JavaScript is off (or
    on), but none would apply to the statement on your page.

    > Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

    Thanks for admitting that. :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Richard wrote :
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:00:03 -0500 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:

    >> "<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
    >> work.<br>
    >> You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"

    >> How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    > Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
    > No javascript required to redirect ya know.
    > Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

    you sound like a very silly person by the way you say things.
    sometimes it seems like you really believe what you are saying, other
    times you sound like you know that what you are saying is bollocks, but
    you /need/ someone to reply to you, so you go ahead and say it anyway.
    this is just an observation.

    --
    eat beef jerky

    Disco Octopus, Jan 28, 2005
  9. Richard

    Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:00:03 -0500 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    > > Richard wrote:

    > >> http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

    > > "<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will

    not
    > > work.<br>
    > > You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"

    > > How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    > Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
    > No javascript required to redirect ya know.

    However, if you're showing people the above message, it is. meta
    refreshing won't do it, nor will a server-side redirect using headers.

    > Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

    Clearly. Even Dubya looks smart next to you. Your code is getting
    worse - how is that possible?

    --
    Hywel

    , Jan 28, 2005
  10. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >
    > Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
    > As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
    > the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
    > In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
    > position based upon the "home" location.
    >
    > What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
    > want it?
    >
    > This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
    > see the larger images.

    hmmm well,

    like others have said you cannot have a <p> *inside* a <span>. It works
    fine. That could be causing your problem.

    There are still a lot of code errors:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

    ....which cause IE (and FireFox for that matter) to run in Quirksmode. In
    Quirks mode the way the browser renders is somewhat unpredictable. Best
    bet is always to try get your page to fully validate before you come
    looking for help.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 28, 2005
  11. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    >Richard wrote:
    >> http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >>

    >There are still a lot of code errors:
    >http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html
    >
    >...which cause IE (and FireFox for that matter) to run in Quirksmode.

    Did you mean that? You seem to be saying that the errors cause the
    browser to use Quirks mode, which is not the case. The doctype used
    does indeed trigger quirks mode but it would do that regardless of
    whether the page validated or not.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 28, 2005
  12. Richard

    ghoul Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:00:03 -0500 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

    >> "<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
    >> work.<br>
    >> You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"

    >> How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

    > Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
    > No javascript required to redirect ya know.
    > Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.
    >

    >>> Attempting to overcome the problem

    >> You'll never be able to do that. Find another hobby.

    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -This space intentionally left blank.

    nice