Any explanations as to why IE won't do it right?

Richard

http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
position based upon the "home" location.

What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
want it?

This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
see the larger images.

Oli Filth

Richard said:
http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
position based upon the "home" location.

What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
want it?

This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
see the larger images.

For a start, you've got a <P> inside a <SPAN> element. Bad.

Secondly, this is a horrible effect.

rf

Richard said:
http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries
of

What "span block"?

In any case span is, by default, an inline element so to call it a span
"block" is totally misleading.

Ah I see you have changed its display property to block with CSS, presumably
because you can't use a div there.

This idea was originally published here by brucie IIRC. Yep, it was.
the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
position based upon the "home" location.

Didn't I answer this yesterday? Go over to the recommendation and read up on
positioning (which you claim to know So Much about) and containing elements.
Not parent elements. Not the root element of the DOM. Containing elements.
Then consider IE's broken box model re same.
What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
want it?

Shove it in the toilet.

This page is totally stuffed in both IE and FF.

Disco Octopus

Richard wrote :
http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
position based upon the "home" location.

What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
want it?

This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
see the larger images.

lots of validation problems. fix them then see if you have any problems
still.

Richard

Richard wrote:

"<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
work.<br>
You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"
How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
No javascript required to redirect ya know.
Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

You'll never be able to do that. Find another hobby.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard said:
Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit? No javascript
required to redirect ya know.

Yes, I would like to see it.

There are several ways to do a redirect when JavaScript is off (or
on), but none would apply to the statement on your page.
Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

Thanks for admitting that. :)

Disco Octopus

Richard wrote :
Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
No javascript required to redirect ya know.
Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

you sound like a very silly person by the way you say things.
sometimes it seems like you really believe what you are saying, other
times you sound like you know that what you are saying is bollocks, but
you /need/ someone to reply to you, so you go ahead and say it anyway.
this is just an observation.

hyweljenkins

Richard said:
Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
No javascript required to redirect ya know.

However, if you're showing people the above message, it is. meta
refreshing won't do it, nor will a server-side redirect using headers.

Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

Clearly. Even Dubya looks smart next to you. Your code is getting
worse - how is that possible?

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

Attempting to overcome the problem with span and IE.
As you'll see in IE, the span block appears totally within the boundaries of
the "thumbs" division and is cut off from view.
In Firefox, the span block is shown on top of the menu with the absolute
position based upon the "home" location.

What can be done to correct this so that the span block will show where I
want it?

This method would be nice to use so that those with JS turned off will still
see the larger images.

hmmm well,

like others have said you cannot have a <p> *inside* a <span>. It works
fine. That could be causing your problem.

There are still a lot of code errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://somestuff.batcave.net/menu2.html

....which cause IE (and FireFox for that matter) to run in Quirksmode. In
Quirks mode the way the browser renders is somewhat unpredictable. Best
bet is always to try get your page to fully validate before you come
looking for help.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

ghoul

Richard said:
Richard wrote:

"<noscript><h2>Your javascript is turned off. Links to images will not
work.<br>
You will be redirected to another page.</h2></noscript>"
How are you going to redirect if JavaScript is off? <lol>

Would you like to see how my learned friend of wit?
No javascript required to redirect ya know.
Oh but RtS is just way to stoopid to figure that one out.

You'll never be able to do that. Find another hobby.

nice