    advance!

    henry

    , May 15, 2006

  2. > i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a floating point library that
    >uses at least 20 bits to represent the exponent, rather than the 11
    >bits for a double-precision standard IEEE-754 float. thanks in
    >advance!

    IEEE extended-precision seems to use 15 bits for the exponent
    (including exponent sign). That gets up to 1.1e+4932 or so.
    I don't know of any hardware that uses more (not to say there
    isn't any). Software emulation is possible (but likely slow).

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, May 15, 2006

    thanks! do you know of any software emulation package that is good,
    but short of "arbitrary precision" library? i guess what i'm after is
    "extended range", rather than "extended precision". and, if there is a
    free library, i'd rather use that than re-tool my algorithm (a bayesian
    network, which alternately sums, multiplies and divides numbers, and
    would be very hard to re-write in log-space).

    thanks again,

    henry

    , May 15, 2006

    , May 15, 2006
  5. jacob navia Guest

    a écrit :
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a floating point library that
    > uses at least 20 bits to represent the exponent, rather than the 11
    > bits for a double-precision standard IEEE-754 float. thanks in
    > advance!
    >
    > henry

    lcc-win32 offers a 350 bits library

    htpp://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    jacob navia, May 15, 2006

    thanks gordon. i'm actually writing in o'caml :) so unfortunately the
    long double is not available. so far i'm using gmp as a software
    emulation. any idea how much faster hardware is from software?

    thanks again,

    henry

    , May 17, 2006

    thanks for the excellent tip. i'm now using gmp and so far works great.

    , May 17, 2006