any floating point library with more exponent bits?

hrbigelow

hi,
i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a floating point library that
uses at least 20 bits to represent the exponent, rather than the 11
bits for a double-precision standard IEEE-754 float. thanks in
advance!

henry

Gordon Burditt

i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a floating point library that
uses at least 20 bits to represent the exponent, rather than the 11
bits for a double-precision standard IEEE-754 float. thanks in
advance!

IEEE extended-precision seems to use 15 bits for the exponent
(including exponent sign). That gets up to 1.1e+4932 or so.
I don't know of any hardware that uses more (not to say there
isn't any). Software emulation is possible (but likely slow).

Gordon L. Burditt

hrbigelow

thanks! do you know of any software emulation package that is good,
but short of "arbitrary precision" library? i guess what i'm after is
"extended range", rather than "extended precision". and, if there is a
free library, i'd rather use that than re-tool my algorithm (a bayesian
network, which alternately sums, multiplies and divides numbers, and
would be very hard to re-write in log-space).

thanks again,

henry

jacob navia

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
hi,
i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a floating point library that
uses at least 20 bits to represent the exponent, rather than the 11
bits for a double-precision standard IEEE-754 float. thanks in
advance!

henry
lcc-win32 offers a 350 bits library

htpp://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

hrbigelow

thanks gordon. i'm actually writing in o'caml :) so unfortunately the
long double is not available. so far i'm using gmp as a software
emulation. any idea how much faster hardware is from software?

thanks again,

henry