Any Fly-out Menu Preferred?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by theo, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. theo

    theo Guest

    Cheers,
    I looking for the best route for fly-out menu,
    and prefer not to use text links due to the number
    of links (about 60). I'm considering one in
    particular, from:
    http://gosu.pl/dhtml/mygosumenu.html

    How do I turn java off on my machine,
    to see the design without javascript?

    It's supposedly seperated into 3 layers:
    behavior(javascript), structure(html), presentation(css)

    The full-blown menu looks like this:
    http://wholives.com/temp/fly-index.htm

    When I foul the header's path to the js file, I get this:
    http://wholives.com/temp/fly2-index.htm
    which really wasn't what I had in mind.

    If I foul the header path to java and css file, I get this:
    http://wholives.com/temp/fly3-index.htm

    If I foul the header path only to the css file, I get this:
    http://wholives.com/temp/fly4-index.htm

    How do I turn java off on win2k. I hope to find
    something like this:
    http://wholives.com/temp/fly3-index.htm

    thanks,
    cc

    theo, Feb 9, 2005

  2. theo wrote:

    > How do I turn java off on my machine,
    > to see the design without javascript?

    There is no Java with those menus. It is JavaScript. They are two
    entirely different languages. The words have capital letters as well.

    How to turn off depends on the browser you are using at the moment.
    Mozilla and Firefox have a rather nice extension you can add to put a
    toolbar with checkboxes for JavaScript (and other things) right there
    in front of you.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    Here it is in my browser, with the Customize dialog open:
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/images/prefbar.png
    (The web developer's toolbar is above the PrefBar.)

    BTW, I wrote a similar menu on one of my sites with only server-side
    PHP and some CSS. No JavaScript. It is only one level deep - all the
    site requires - and closes nodes as you open others.
    http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 9, 2005

  3. theo wrote:

    > I looking for the best route for fly-out menu,

    Generally "away".

    > and prefer not to use text links due to the number
    > of links (about 60).

    Then I suggest you try to reduce the number of links on the page. Possibly
    by dividing them into groups and creating a seperate index page.

    > I'm considering one in
    > particular, from:
    > http://gosu.pl/dhtml/mygosumenu.html

    That's horrible. The markup is dreadful, it uses href="javascript:...", and
    its fall back position is rubbish.

    > How do I turn java off on my machine,
    > to see the design without javascript?

    Java and JavaScript are entirely seperate technologies; and how you disable
    either depends on the browser you use.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Feb 9, 2005