Any Fly-out Menu Preferred?

theo

Cheers,
I looking for the best route for fly-out menu,
and prefer not to use text links due to the number
of links (about 60). I'm considering one in
particular, from:
http://gosu.pl/dhtml/mygosumenu.html

How do I turn java off on my machine,
to see the design without javascript?

It's supposedly seperated into 3 layers:
behavior(javascript), structure(html), presentation(css)

The full-blown menu looks like this:
http://wholives.com/temp/fly-index.htm

When I foul the header's path to the js file, I get this:
http://wholives.com/temp/fly2-index.htm
which really wasn't what I had in mind.

If I foul the header path to java and css file, I get this:
http://wholives.com/temp/fly3-index.htm

If I foul the header path only to the css file, I get this:
http://wholives.com/temp/fly4-index.htm

How do I turn java off on win2k. I hope to find
something like this:
http://wholives.com/temp/fly3-index.htm

thanks,
cc

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

theo said:
How do I turn java off on my machine,
to see the design without javascript?

There is no Java with those menus. It is JavaScript. They are two
entirely different languages. The words have capital letters as well.

How to turn off depends on the browser you are using at the moment.
Mozilla and Firefox have a rather nice extension you can add to put a
toolbar with checkboxes for JavaScript (and other things) right there
in front of you.

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

Here it is in my browser, with the Customize dialog open:
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/images/prefbar.png
(The web developer's toolbar is above the PrefBar.)

BTW, I wrote a similar menu on one of my sites with only server-side
PHP and some CSS. No JavaScript. It is only one level deep - all the
site requires - and closes nodes as you open others.
http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/

David Dorward

theo said:
I looking for the best route for fly-out menu,

Generally "away".
and prefer not to use text links due to the number
of links (about 60).

Then I suggest you try to reduce the number of links on the page. Possibly
by dividing them into groups and creating a seperate index page.
I'm considering one in
particular, from:
http://gosu.pl/dhtml/mygosumenu.html

That's horrible. The markup is dreadful, it uses href="javascript:...", and
its fall back position is rubbish.
How do I turn java off on my machine,
to see the design without javascript?

Java and JavaScript are entirely seperate technologies; and how you disable
either depends on the browser you use.