Any good materials on Axis1.x?

tonywinslow1986

Can anybody recommend good materials on Axis1.x to me?
I'm trying to build a multi-layer stock tracking system using Axis as
part of it.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Tomek

Can anybody recommend good materials on Axis1.x to me?
I'm trying to build a multi-layer stock tracking system using Axis as
part of it.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

I can recommend you to not use Axis 1.x :)
Use any webservice framework based on StAX like Apache CXF , XFire or
Axis 2.x, they are much faster and easier to use.

tony_se

I can recommend you to not use Axis 1.x :)
Use any webservice framework based on StAX like Apache CXF , XFire or
Axis 2.x, they are much faster and easier to use.

Thank you! But, unfortunately, I'm involved in a project that Axis1.x
is specified as the WebService
framework to be used. I want to learn more about J2EE patterns and
again multilayer software development, especially with WebService. Any
further suggestions?

Tomek

Thank you! But, unfortunately, I'm involved in a project that Axis1.x
is specified as the WebService
framework to be used. I want to learn more about J2EE patterns and
again multilayer software development, especially with WebService. Any
further suggestions?

Hmm, i'm afraid ( in most ppl opinions ) axis isn't a place where you
should learn best practices and good design :/

Guest

Can anybody recommend good materials on Axis1.x to me?
I'm trying to build a multi-layer stock tracking system using Axis as
part of it.

Have you read the docs that comes with Axis (especially the
user guide) ?

It is actually quite good for the simple stuff. The advanced
stuff is a bit more tricky.

What specifically do you need help with ?

Arne

tony_se

Have you read the docs that comes with Axis (especially the
user guide) ?

It is actually quite good for the simple stuff. The advanced
stuff is a bit more tricky.

What specifically do you need help with ?

Arne

To make it detailed: It's a one semester project about stock. Our
professor has set up
the basic layers for us, i.e. we should implement it from front to end
the following layers:
browser->MVC/Servlet/RMIClient->RMIServer/AxisClient->AxisServer/JDBC-
The problem now is I'm not familiar with Axis and the ABCs in using
WebService to build
an enterprise solution. And up to now, I can't make out what the RMI
layer is all about and
is it necessary?

Lew

tony_se said:
To make it detailed: It's a one semester project about stock. Our
professor has set up
the basic layers for us, i.e. we should implement it from front to end
the following layers:
browser->MVC/Servlet/RMIClient->RMIServer/AxisClient->AxisServer/JDBC-
The problem now is I'm not familiar with Axis and the ABCs in using
WebService to build
an enterprise solution. And up to now, I can't make out what the RMI
layer is all about and
is it necessary?

Have you read up on RMI? Like Web services (the Axis component) it is a tool
for remote invocation of logic. I don't see how RMI and Axis should coexist in
the same project.

Perhaps the professor intended to offer you a choice of remote invocation
techniques, not to have you use all of them at once.

-- Lew

Guest

tony_se said:
To make it detailed: It's a one semester project about stock. Our
professor has set up
the basic layers for us, i.e. we should implement it from front to end
the following layers:
browser->MVC/Servlet/RMIClient->RMIServer/AxisClient->AxisServer/JDBC-> DerbyDB.
The problem now is I'm not familiar with Axis and the ABCs in using
WebService to build
an enterprise solution. And up to now, I can't make out what the RMI
layer is all about and
is it necessary?

That looks rather weird.

But if your Axis requirements are simple, then it is easy.

Dump the axis war file into your Tomcat web app dir and
rename your web service class from .java to .jws and dump that
into the axis dir created by Tomcat from the war.

RMI is its own story.

You will need to read up on it.

Arne