Any good Perl coders out there?

Jamie

In said:
then you are not looking for the right jobs :)

The trouble with larger projects is that they frequently turn into white
elephants.

There must be some magic crystal ball some place you folks use to determine
which ones to take on. The risk on those is quite high.
J> Webmasters and people who used to hire "perl monkeys" now look to
J> PHP, I've spoken with them about doing stuff in perl, they often
J> tell me it would be a "step backwards".

that is all web stuff. perl is used for much more non-web stuff than web
stuff. ever see a sysadmin use php to glue stuff?

Believe it or not... though, as you say, these were more script kiddie
level stuff.

So far, I've only had one smaller sysadmin project.
you haven't been around enough perl media. try irc sometimes and that is
what happens a lot. "oh, no one is in #otherchannel or they are too
dumb, help me with this regex. perler all know regexes better"

IRC in general doesn't count, I pretty much wrote it off. Though, if I were
to actually consider it, I'd have to say it's about as bad. (and actually,
being fair, some of the #linux channels I've seen are a /LOT/ worse than
anything perl related on the rude-meter)

Of course, these days, everyone has "upgraded" to the newer and superior
closed, commercial systems of Yahoo! and MSN.
or not use to being a professional programmer. simpler answer. smarts
isn't the only thing. wanting to know how to program and putting in the
effort is major. just being a php/html monkey doesn't TEACH you much
other than bad coding habits.

I'd have to say I agree with you to some extent. If you're referring to
the odd case where someone takes your explanation, ignores it and then
asks you to type something they can just cut -n- paste. That does get a
little annoying.

Someone looking for small-time work can easily turn this situation around
though, it's an opportunity to sell a couple hours of your time.
J> BTW, uri, I heard you on perlcast, good job!

thanx. i was nice there? :)

I'd say so. I'm amazed at how you can meet someone in person or even hear
them and have your picture of them change.

Jamie

Mirco Wahab

Jamie said:
One thing I've run into with some people is that perl is "old" php is "new"
and the thing to do is "upgrade" to PHP. Newer is better. (regardless of
whether or not it actually is)

I really use PHP more or less on a daily base,
so I think I can somehow 'assess' its value. It
is, without any doubt, much easier to get something
working (hacked together) by people which are basically
'cheaper' (than others).

<index finger>
The best Samurai group will get badly beaten up
in the end by a huge bulk of Musket bearer not
even requiring an education longer than one day ;-)
</index finger>

This is how things work, imho. Cost decides at last.

Regards

M.