Any good reason not to use Flash?

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Kevin Scholl quothed:

Hear! Hear! Give that man a cigar!

(Guess you can tell I agree.)
Yes, Javascript, not MS's JScript which can access COM on Windows OS

kchayka

Jose said:
Flash is faulty because it doesn't have an OFF button on the browser.
And this isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Flash is also faulty because the player doesn't have adequate user
controls so stoopid author decisions can be overridden, such as killing
non-stop animation and setting a readable text size.

With HTML, there is always a chance the user can make a bad design
usable by disabling stylesheets, zooming text, etc. No such luck with
Flash. We are forever at the mercy of deezyners and their whims.

Chaddy2222

Well. I think it's a fair point. Blind people (such as myself) do have
an interest in music and are disadvantaged a bit by such music sites
with Flash Navigation.
But, music sites do fall in that catigry where it is ok too use items
such as Flash as they are art type sites after all.
I mean, I don't think a music site would look quite write in plain
text.
But I think if the designers used good quality alt text then the
graphical site could still be useable for those of us useing screne
readers.

Chaddy2222

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Otto Bahn quothed:

It may not be fair, but the fact is that blind people just don't see the
light.
That's ok in a power outage though.
But, it is fact that people who are blind or who have loe vision do /
can struggle with items such as Flash Navigation though.

Stan McCann

I totally agree. I use Flash during the time that I introduce it to
my students and must check their work. Once in a while, I'll copy an
URL from FireFox and paste it into Maxthon to see Flash and/or other
stuff that I don't use on a regular basis.
Well, after too many instances of my laptop being brought to an
uncontrollable crawl by commercial web sites which insisted on
dragging their way through a non-optional flash video before one
could get any access to their normal content, I de-installed the
flash plugin.

Non-optional splash pages usually will get me to find another site
right away. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty good stuff done
with Flash.
If there was a way of getting a prompt and being able to say "no
thanks" to the browser when unsolicited flash content was offered, I
might be willing to re-enable it. I haven't found an option like
that yet.

Look into some of the FF extensions. I believe there is one that
allows Flash enable/disable on the fly. Browse with Flash off, then
turn it on if you want to see some Flash goodie. I'm not sure if
there is anything for Mozilla.

Acolyte of Glorious La Parka~, (Name copyright Vin

Bald said:
Are there any cogent arguments against the use of Flash?

Yes. All he can do is run very fast.

Use Batman instead.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Buena mañana, señor. Soy un Villano.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bald said:
Are there any cogent arguments against the use of Flash?

Yes. All he can do is run very fast.

Use Batman instead.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Buena mañana, señor. Soy un Villano.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jose

Look into some of the FF extensions. I believe there is one that
allows Flash enable/disable on the fly. Browse with Flash off, then
turn it on if you want to see some Flash goodie. I'm not sure if
there is anything for Mozilla.

Actually, there are two issues - one is =my= ability to turn flash on or
off easily (I can do it by hand, so I won't bother adding more software
to my machine). But the other, equally (perhaps more) important one is
the ability of the general public to do so, because that is the way
standards get stomped on. The same way Microsoft can cause a (poorly
designed) file type to become common (include the viewer with Windows,
so just about everyone has it already), Macromedia and the advertising
community can help Flash to become standard (make it "cool" and
difficult to defeat). Most people aren't going to install blockers.
They didn't install popup blockers - some did but mostly they complained
and waited for the browsers to do it.

Popup control wasn't really returned to the user until this happened.
Ditto Flash.

Jose

Doug Mazzacua

Bald Pup asks..

8: Most flash content I've seen is lame, and not worth the time,
bandwidth, or effort. Ask yourself very critically whether your message
or information is really =really= enhanced by being presented in this
manner.

There are other reasons, this is just a start.

All of your reasons are good, and I particularly agree with this one.
I stopped installing Flash plugins long ago, for many of the reasons
you cite.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:
Yes, Javascript, not MS's JScript which can access COM on Windows OS

Another MS security issue? Hard to believe...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:
Not color blind, just blind. ;)

Actually, I believe he said he has (very) low vision.

-With his eyes. His true vision must be rather good, however, to make a
website under such restriction.

Richard Rundle

Chaddy2222 said:
Well. I think it's a fair point. Blind people (such as myself) do have
an interest in music and are disadvantaged a bit by such music sites
with Flash Navigation.
But, music sites do fall in that catigry where it is ok too use items
such as Flash as they are art type sites after all.
I mean, I don't think a music site would look quite write in plain
text.
But I think if the designers used good quality alt text then the
graphical site could still be useable for those of us useing screne
readers.

There is quite a lot of a typical music site that, IMO, is better presented
as text, e.g. Biography, Upcoming Gigs, Discography etc.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:

Another MS security issue? Hard to believe...
Naw...security is Mr Bill's middle name!

David DeLaney

Acolyte said:
Yes. All he can do is run very fast.

Use Batman instead.

Feh. Does Batman have complete control of his molecules, so that he can change
into a singing dancing red-and-yellow clickable-on vibrator? (If needed for the
plot, of course?) Does Batman have an antifriction aura so that the Batmobile
doesn't catch fire from getting to downtown Gotham between panels? Feh, I say.

Dave

Krusty

kchayka said:
When the Flash player provides a usable means for the *user* to set a
readable text size, I'll stop bashing it. Lack of user controls is a
serious deficiency of Flash.

Only if you're blind, I guess... :-\

"Adjusting fonts" != "508 compliant"

The more you know....