Any goog reasons not to install modules in standard perl installation?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by bernd, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. bernd

    bernd Guest

    Hello folks,

    I have got kind of a "philosophical" question: I pleased the unix
    administrator of the sun box on which we run our database to install a
    few CPAN-modules (expecting that he will save them in the site_perl-
    directory of the perl-installation shipped with the OS). He refused
    this with the argument that this could have detrimental effects on the
    operating system.

    He suggests to install a "local" perl version for the application
    login we use to administrate the database (e.g. /export/home/
    <loginname>/perl). Used to deploy perl in a "standard" fashion I do
    not want to fiddle around with include paths etc. (and since the box
    is dedicated to host ONLY "my" database, I expect that the overall
    system is taylored to the needs of the application administrators).

    What do You think about the admin's suggestion and are there any
    drawbacks apart from the mentioned @INC-stuff when we deviate from the
    "standard" installation? (does the OS rely on the installed perl at
    all or does one have to regard this as a "goody" for the admin and
    possible developers?)

    Looking forward to a fruitful discussion.

    Cheers

    Bernd
    bernd, Jul 24, 2007