Any guide to look something up in the Holy Standard?

Barry

As a begginer of C++, I found it's hard to locate something on the
standard, do you guys have the same problems? How do you conquer?
I think it's hard to cover the standard, or even have a skimming, and
the standard has too much information between the lines, when I check A,
which depends on B, then B depends on C ..., I kinda like the new
working draft, which has hyperlink, hope this feature will be kept.

Even worse, sometimes I don't know which subject does my problem belong.

Anyway, any tips?

Guest

As a begginer of C++, I found it's hard to locate something on the
standard, do you guys have the same problems? How do you conquer?
I think it's hard to cover the standard, or even have a skimming, and
the standard has too much information between the lines, when I check A,
which depends on B, then B depends on C ..., I kinda like the new
working draft, which has hyperlink, hope this feature will be kept.

I think it depends on which part of the standard you are looking in, for
the most part I think the library portion is quite straight forward
(except ch. 27, the Input/Output library ). I have not spent so much
time looking into the other parts but I think the chapter names are
quite good. My best tips for you is to use the index at the end.
Even worse, sometimes I don't know which subject does my problem belong.

Once again, use the index and look up some terms which you think it
might be, you will usually recognise it when you see it.

Pete Becker

As a begginer of C++, I found it's hard to locate something on the
standard, do you guys have the same problems? How do you conquer?

Practice. But the standard isn't written for beginners (and not for
begginers, either <g>). You should be looking elsewhere for basic
information.

red floyd

Barry said:
As a begginer of C++, I found it's hard to locate something on the
standard, do you guys have the same problems? How do you conquer?
I think it's hard to cover the standard, or even have a skimming, and
the standard has too much information between the lines, when I check A,
which depends on B, then B depends on C ..., I kinda like the new
working draft, which has hyperlink, hope this feature will be kept.

Even worse, sometimes I don't know which subject does my problem belong.

Anyway, any tips?

Yes. There's a list of words and page numbers at the back of the
Standard. It's called an "index".