    responding.
    Can anyone help with this??? Why error's with LATER versions of your
    software?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    TJS Guest

    seems like the sql server is not responding,. doesn't seem like it has
    anything to do with the OS.

    Check to make sure SQL server is running and name of the server is same as
    in connection code

    TJS, May 24, 2005

  3. SQL server is running. I can test with my other laptop - 2K version. All is
    well there. It does appear to be latest OS - I've also reviewed other posts
    by others users - but noone has answered questions.

    Futher, everything fine on SQL - running for every app - again, including
    other 2K OS laptop - and in development mode there with no problem.
    Basically the new XP SP2 has issues - but I'm not sure where to fix.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    PB Guest

    <<Basically the new XP SP2 has issues >>

    Maybe so, but not necessarily relevant to your errors. I migrated from 2k to
    XP SP2 with no issues at all - and did so on multiple development machines
    (laptop, desktop). Many other developers in this group report using XP SP2
    with NO problems.

    As long as you are concluding that XP SP2 is "the problem" then it may take
    you more time to figure out what is really causing "the problem". There are
    potentially many many differences between your 2k machine and your XP
    machine - the OS is just one of those many differences.

    Maybe we could help you more if you were to describe specifically what your
    setup is. Do you have SQL Server 2000 installed on the local machine? When
    you say you can test with other laptop - 2K version - are you saying that
    that machine is connecting to the XP machine and choking? If os, then XP'
    firewall may need to be opened up a bit. No one can reasonably suggest you
    look at the firewall NOR ANY other potential configuration issues without
    knowing more about your specific setup. If it all works on your 2K machine
    (everything is installed locally) but not on the XP machine (with everthing
    installed locally), then its time to look at similarities and differences
    between specific configuration settings - and not just conclude that the
    OS - which is the most unlikely culprit here - is "the" problem.

    Help us help you - and we will.

    PB, May 24, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    WJ Guest

    By default, XP pro. Service Pack# 2 locks down your system. You will have to
    do the followings:

    1. Install IIS-5 and enable it.
    2. Check PFW (disable it first, then gradually block certain ports).
    3. Install .NetFW 1.1 and hotfixes (sp2 should have done that for you
    already).
    4. Enable ASPNet account if it is not.
    5. Check all WinXP Services.
    6. Install VS.Net.
    7. Grant ASPNET account to SQL Server if you plan Windows Integrated and
    allow anonymous.

    I am running IBM LapTop with service Pack 2 on XP Pro. edition, SQL Server
    developer edition with VS.Net 2k3 and I have no problem at all.

    John

    WJ, May 24, 2005
  6. I almost was ready to look @ working with UNIX environment - but that's
    statement only out of frustration. First, THANK YOU for responding. Next,
    I'll answer all your questions too - and hopefully we can get solution here
    to fix this for our development environment.

    1) SQL 200 Server is not local - it's on separate server all by itself. I
    have two laptops - both with Visual Studio.NET that I've installed. MDAC
    components 2.6 is what is on laptop I believe. I've never had connection
    issue to SQL databases here - very rare to get timeouts.
    2) I've also installed Visual Studio.NET on 2000 server for development
    server - and not issue there. MDAC 2.6 I believe is installed there. I've
    installed IIS and just about everything here - and not issue. Never SQL
    timeouts.
    3) MDAC 2.8 is installed on 2nd laptop with Windows XP SP2. I've also
    installed Visual Studio.NET here (I believe this is default with OS).
    Everything works great but SQL doesn't connect & popup issue - BUT for now
    lets ignore popup issue. Once in a blue-moon I can connect to SQL server -
    but 98% of time it times out or simply doesn't connect. I have 20 second
    default for connection string (changed to 30, 60, etc... and doesn't help) as
    on Windows 2000 OS laptop. I agree there are many differences with both OS's
    - DLL's are one variation, MDAC is most obvious that I see @ this time. I've
    downloaded Microsoft Product Support Reporting Tools - to review what's here
    too - after researching on your knowledge base.
    4) Currently, I'm going to formulate more information - but what's best way
    to give you what you need. My initial objective is NOT to conclude OS - but
    trust me - all that's been done here was to install SP2 or upgrade of XP from
    Microsoft. Next, I've completed the install of Visual Studio.NET like I've
    done for 3 other computers - without issue. Again - MDAC - I've research
    this myself - since it's relavent to SQL connect objects.

    What would you need from me first - to check/review
    similarities/dissimilarities.

    Thank you kindly.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    PB Guest

    Well, for starters, I believe MDAC is unnecessary for .NET applications - as
    ADO.NET has its own SQL Server provider for data access. The only reason I
    could think of off hand for installing MDAC is for any old COM applications
    that may need it.

    So, when you say you are connecting to SQL Server, are you doing so from an
    ASP.NET Web application? or from some COM-based application? If from .NET -
    then what does your connection string and connection object look like? Are
    you defining them in code? If so, lets have a look.

    Also, which version of Visual Studio .NET? 2003? As long as you are setting
    up a new development environment for new projects that were not based on any
    prior version of .NET, then you really should be using .NET Framework 1.1
    (which installs with VS.NET 2003).

    I personally have worked extensively with many prior versions of MDAC - and
    honestly since switching to .NET development I've never had to deal with
    MDAC (and good riddance!).

    Finally (for now), this news group is run by Microsoft, but most of the
    people who are posting here are NOT Microsoft employees. We are mostly
    people just like yourself figuring out how to make all this stuff work and
    helping each other out.

    -HTH

    PB, May 24, 2005
  8. Note: 2) - what I mean here is I have another server (not SQL 2000 server)
    that is development server with Visual Studio.NET. IIS installed here too.
    No problems.

    Problem is just XP SP2 laptop as identified above. Again, I'll try
    reinstalling IIS again - I believe it's 5.1 on the XP Laptop - but 5.0 on
    Windows 2000 Pro Laptop - that's the only other difference I see - but I took
    latest from MS.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005
  9. Doing so from ASP.NET web application. Using Visual Studio.NET 2003 -
    Version 7.1.3088. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322 SP1) it says for XP
    SP2 OS. Using Visual Studio.NET 2003 - Version 7.1.3088. Microsoft .NET
    Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322) NO SP1 for 2000 Pro OS.

    I think MDAC Applies in this instance. @ Least as I understand it's the
    core for SQL, Ole, and ODBC connections.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005
  10. Connect String -------------

    Server=<server name>;database=<database
    name>;uid=<uid>;pwd=<password>;connect timeout=30;pooling=true

    Never problem -

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 24, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    PB Guest

    <<I think MDAC Applies in this instance>>

    No way. ADO.NET has an entirely new SQL data provider. OLE is old-school
    COM, ODBC is totally unnecessary here and even undesirable as ADO.NET's SQL
    data provider is optimized for SQL Server. Show us how you are trying to
    connect. Show us your code.

    I'd sure hate to be going off into left field here - all I'm thinking is
    that you are installing MDAC which is totally unnecessary. Put another way,
    I've never had any SQL Server connectivity problems since I've switch to
    ..NET - and I've never installed MDAC or tried to use ODBC. Furthermore, I've
    never even heard of anyone trying to install or use MDAC from a .NET
    application when trying to connect to SQL Server.

    ADO.NET is not simply the latest version of the original ADO classic (which
    necessitated the installation of MDAC for COM applications). ADO.NET is a
    whole new thing.

    -HTH

    PB, May 24, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    PB Guest

    So, are you using the System.Data.SqlClient namespace and its SqlCommand and
    SqlConnection objects?

    PB, May 24, 2005
  13. I'm using ADO.NET - specific classes used were
    1) System.Data.SqlClient - connection to Microsoft SQL Server - I also have
    version 08.00.0384 of SQL Server 2000
    2) System.Data.OleDb - connection to other Access Databases
    3) System.Data.Odbc - used this likewise.
    For discussion, like to simply stay with ADO.NET - System.Data.SqlClient.

    Next, I apologize for discussion concerning MDAC - I was 100% sure how this
    was used - but in past - system would advise me I needed latest during
    debugging. I've also researched article from Microsoft saying when you
    troubleshoot SQL Server connectivity issues - you should investigate the MDAC
    version on the client, not on the server. Article was MDAC Technical Article
    Pg 3 - Installation Versions and SQL Server Versions. I just thought it
    might apply there.

    Finally, since issue now is completely understood as ADO.NET - SQL provider,
    I'd like to move to next issue. What could be causing no connects during
    open operation?

    Thanks always,

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 25, 2005
  14. I'm using ADO.NET - specific classes used were
    1) System.Data.SqlClient - connection to Microsoft SQL Server - I also have
    version 08.00.0384 of SQL Server 2000
    2) System.Data.OleDb - connection to other Access Databases
    3) System.Data.Odbc - used this likewise.
    For discussion, like to simply stay with ADO.NET - System.Data.SqlClient.

    Next, I apologize for discussion concerning MDAC - I was NOT 100% sure how
    this
    was used - but in past - system @ one time advises me I needed latest
    release during

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 25, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=

    PB Guest

    If you are having odd connectivity issues (which IMHO you are having) then
    start looking for things that are non standard (like having MDAC installed).
    AFAIK you cannot uninstall MDAC once its installed. So rather than
    troubleshooting a junked up computer you might be far better off in the long
    run by starting all over from scratch and installing only what's necessary.
    Format your drive, do a new/clean install of XP, and go from there. If you
    keep things simple and only install and use what is recommended, you will
    likely not have such weird issues. Before you jump gun and claim XP is
    screwing up, start with basic network connectivity: can you PING your SQL
    Server? Ping by IP address? Ping by URL? Your issues may have nothing to do
    with ADO.NET. Start with the basics and work up from there.

    If after cleaning up your computer you are still having exotic issues, you
    might want to post a new question in an ADO.NET news group. Your issues
    apparently have nothing to do with ASP.NET, XP, nor SP2.

    Good Luck.

    PB, May 25, 2005
  16. I did ping - simply slipped my mind. I've noticed 2 ports on SQL server.
    First port - seems to tie up occassionally. I decided to use 2nd port - it's
    not used at all - dedicated soley for my purposes - and never issues. I
    connect NOW always. Only concern I have is simply 2000 OS setup - must have
    retry built in - whereas XP SP2 - might not - I never timeout on 2000 / but
    98% of time did on XP with 1st port. I have also now a system solution to
    what's presented here (given thought to what we have in our configuration and
    I will change things when connecting to SQL - i.e., past policy by others).

    Finally - I wasn't going to reformat, reload, etc... the drive. That's like
    saying I mind as well work with Unix. But for the most part - you were very
    helpful with the "ping" suggestion. The most obvious was not the most
    obvious for me - but when I looked in detail, I saw issues.

    Tnks.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRT?=, May 25, 2005