Any hints on how to do frames in ASP.Net 2.0?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jim, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    What would be cool as hell, would be a designer interface like Dreamweaver -
    with drag and drop elements like frames and such.

    Why isn't ASP.Net as easy to use as Dreamweaver. Certainly Microsoft has
    looked at them (if nothing more than as competition for FrontPage). What
    would be the reason for NOT making an easy-to-use ui designer that actually
    made good looking web pages instead of what we have come to expect from
    Microsoft's web development tools?

    I have one idea..... Microsoft has publicly stated that their goal is
    online applications. Perhaps this is the reason for the really crappy
    interface designer in ASP.Net and Visual Interdev before that - they don't
    want to foster too much competition before they monopolize the market.

    Wouldn't put it past 'em........

    Happy New Year to ya!

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Jim

    clintonG Guest

    I hear there's a new killer designer being developed code named Quartz but I
    don't know if it will integrate with Visual Studio.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

    clintonG, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Jim

    john smith Guest

    I completely, totally, absoluetely 100% disagree with what you said. VS (or
    VWD) are FAR better than DW for making web apps (not even mentionning the
    "programming" part as the difference on that is beyond obvious). If there is
    one app I can't stand it's DW. I really wonder what you don't like about MS'
    tools, it generates all the markup I need - although I tend to mostly create
    my master pages in "code view". None of us (in the teams I've worked on)
    have ever had issues with "not making good looking web pages" (not to
    mention, that would hardly be ASP.Net's fault like you seem to say - which
    is just a server side technology - not a design app). The pages generate all
    the xhtml (markup) it's expected to (the master pages add the "non-webapp"
    markup), and the CSS styles it accordingly. I don't see any limitations,
    lacks, or shortcomings of any kind anywhere whatsoever.

    The real issue seems to be that you want some easy-to-use (beginner
    click-n-point/drag stuff from toolbars) web page DESIGN app, and you're
    using an advanced app made to generate code/applications (programming - and
    not exactly a beginner's tool; and again, ASP.Net isn't some IDE to edit
    pages but a server-side technology). Apples and oranges. Once you know XHTML
    and CSS (not just for styling text and such but also for site layout and
    everything), you will find something like DW *EXTREMELY* lacking (borderline
    useless) anyways. None of these DW-like "design" apps come even close to
    knowing simple markup and CSS (and there are TONS of very good CSS templates
    and resources such as csszengarden on the web to get you started). It's not
    that hard nor time consuming to learn (you can't realistically not know this
    stuff if you're willing to do web design for a living nowadays).

    And about frames, I hope I'm misunderstanding you... You don't really want
    to make a site that uses frames for real, do you? With the exception of
    MSDN, I don't recall seeing a single site that still uses them, last I
    recall seeing them being used commonly was around 1995, in static HTML sites
    that used no server-side technologies, hence no possibilities of server-side
    includes for menus or such, so a frame was used for the site menu... There
    are tons of issues associated to using frames as well (pages don't ahve
    unique URLs anymore and are hard to bookmark (and other associated isues),
    they go against accessibility guidelines, they can be a major obstacle (or
    prevent altogether) your site from being indexed/spidered, often won't save
    or print right, etc etc). I can't think of a single reason why one would
    want to use that (and deal with all the associated
    issues/troubles/problems/headaches) instead of using today's
    modern/simple/elegant CSS layout techniques or worst case scenario even a
    table layout...

    As for the "competition" thing, it's not like it's competing against DW or
    the like - they're completely different apps, aimed at completely different
    groups of people (designers don't seem to like coding tools overly, and
    saying DW is crippled as a development tool is quite an understatement
    IMHO). And VS (or VWD) is by FAR the best tool for for both tasks IMHO. But
    it comes down to personnal preferences and such. Make your site design in DW
    if you prefer, then make a master page from it, and finally code the web app
    itself in VS, or something along those lines if that's what you prefer...

    Just my 2 cents... And Happy New Year to everyone :)

    john smith, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    First of all, thank you very much for your in-depth response. If I may.....

    "john smith" <> wrote in message
    >I completely, totally, absoluetely 100% disagree with what you said. VS (or
    >VWD) are FAR better than DW for making web apps (not even mentionning the
    >"programming" part as the difference on that is beyond obvious).

    True. The programming part is great. But, why can't you have the easy ui
    designer like DW WITH the programming (code behind) resources?

    >If there is one app I can't stand it's DW. I really wonder what you don't
    >like about MS' tools, it generates all the markup I need - although I tend
    >to mostly create my master pages in "code view". None of us (in the teams
    >I've worked on) have ever had issues with "not making good looking web
    >pages" (not to mention, that would hardly be ASP.Net's fault like you seem
    >to say - which is just a server side technology - not a design app). The
    >pages generate all the xhtml (markup) it's expected to (the master pages
    >add the "non-webapp" markup), and the CSS styles it accordingly. I don't
    >see any limitations, lacks, or shortcomings of any kind anywhere
    >whatsoever.

    It is the same as the difference in coding C++ vs VB6. Sure, C++ is more
    powerful, but VB6 let you slam out far more projects in the same amount of
    time. DW is much easier to use for interface design precisely because of
    the drag-and-drop interface, while ASP.Net technologies excel at server side
    programming.

    There's simply no reason we can't have both (say a cross between FrontPage
    and ASP.Net even).

    > The real issue seems to be that you want some easy-to-use (beginner
    > click-n-point/drag stuff from toolbars) web page DESIGN app,

    I sertainly do....for the UI anyway.....

    >and you're using an advanced app made to generate code/applications
    >(programming - and not exactly a beginner's tool;

    I am not exactly a beginner, but I am new to .Net web applications. I need
    to use the power of ASP.Net to do some database editing via a web
    app.....but, I want a cool interface. Something that Visual Studio 2005 Pro
    doesn't seem to be able to do as quickly or easily as Dreamweaver 8 or even
    FrontPage for that matter.

    > and again, ASP.Net isn't some IDE to edit pages but a server-side
    > technology). Apples and oranges.

    I disagree here. If you are going to put out a product and technology like
    ASP.Net, having the power of server side processing is great. But, you
    can't ignore the user interface.

    Microsoft understands the importance of user interface design. Look at the
    changes in Windows from 98 to XP...and from XP to Vista. They get it. They
    just haven't enabled us to use that same reasoning in ASP.Net.

    Truly visually appealing websites don't use VS. They use Flash or
    Dreamweaver or a similar app, because VS can't compete with the visual
    appeal possible with the other applications.

    >Once you know XHTML and CSS (not just for styling text and such but also
    >for site layout and everything), you will find something like DW
    >*EXTREMELY* lacking (borderline useless) anyways. None of these DW-like
    >"design" apps come even close to knowing simple markup and CSS (and there
    >are TONS of very good CSS templates and resources such as csszengarden on
    >the web to get you started).

    Have you used Dreamweaver 8? CSS support is an integral part of the design
    features and is the preferred mehtod for creating pages in DW.

    >It's not that hard nor time consuming to learn (you can't realistically not
    >know this stuff if you're willing to do web design for a living nowadays).
    >
    > And about frames, I hope I'm misunderstanding you... You don't really want
    > to make a site that uses frames for real, do you? With the exception of
    > MSDN, I don't recall seeing a single site that still uses them, last I
    > recall seeing them being used commonly was around 1995, in static HTML
    > sites that used no server-side technologies, hence no possibilities of
    > server-side includes for menus or such, so a frame was used for the site
    > menu... There are tons of issues associated to using frames as well (pages
    > don't ahve unique URLs anymore and are hard to bookmark (and other
    > associated isues), they go against accessibility guidelines, they can be a
    > major obstacle (or prevent altogether) your site from being
    > indexed/spidered, often won't save or print right, etc etc). I can't think
    > of a single reason why one would want to use that (and deal with all the
    > associated issues/troubles/problems/headaches) instead of using today's
    > modern/simple/elegant CSS layout techniques or worst case scenario even a
    > table layout...

    I am well aware of the arguments for and against frames. I want the
    simplest of all sites, and frames seem like the way to go.

    I want to be able to have a navigation list on the left and load web pages
    in a frame to the right of this navigation list. The web pages being loaded
    will be generated based on the options selected by the user in the
    navigation "frame". Do you know a simpler way to do this than with frames?

    To be honest, I don't care if I am using the latest widgets or
    methodologies. I am interested in getting solutions created as quickly as
    possible and putting them to use ASAP. DW fills this bill quite nicely and
    ASP.Net allows fast programmig of server side code.

    I just want the best of both worlds in a single application.

    > As for the "competition" thing, it's not like it's competing against DW or
    > the like - they're completely different apps, aimed at completely
    > different groups of people (designers don't seem to like coding tools
    > overly, and saying DW is crippled as a development tool is quite an
    > understatement IMHO). And VS (or VWD) is by FAR the best tool for for both
    > tasks IMHO.

    VS and DW are not competitors as evidenced by VS's lack of an easy to use
    designer interface. The competition I was referring to was one between
    FrontPage and Dreamweaver. (One that Dreamweaver wins hands-down I might
    add.)

    > But it comes down to personnal preferences and such. Make your site design
    > in DW if you prefer, then make a master page from it, and finally code the
    > web app itself in VS, or something along those lines if that's what you
    > prefer...

    Examples of this would be really cool. I have Googled my fingers to the
    bone to no avail. I will visit my local computer/bookstore ASAP to continue
    my search there.

    > Just my 2 cents... And Happy New Year to everyone :)

    Happy New Year to you! And thanks again for your post.

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Jim

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "john smith" <> wrote in

    > I completely, totally, absoluetely 100% disagree with what you said.
    > VS (or VWD) are FAR better than DW for making web apps (not even
    > mentionning the "programming" part as the difference on that is beyond
    > obvious).

    Not much of a web designer huh. VS.NET's HTML capabilities are
    HORRENDOUS.

    > If there is one app I can't stand it's DW. I really wonder
    > what you don't like about MS' tools, it generates all the markup I
    > need - although I tend to mostly create my master pages in "code
    > view".

    At least DW doesn't mangle HTML.

    > None of us (in the teams I've worked on) have ever had issues
    > with "not making good looking web pages" (not to mention, that would
    > hardly be ASP.Net's fault like you seem to say - which is just a
    > server side technology - not a design app).

    I guess your templates must be simplistic. VS.NET is fine for generic
    HTML... but once you start adding complex javascripts, DHTML, etc - the
    limitations are obvious.

    > The pages generate all the
    > xhtml (markup) it's expected to (the master pages add the "non-webapp"
    > markup), and the CSS styles it accordingly. I don't see any
    > limitations, lacks, or shortcomings of any kind anywhere whatsoever.

    If you don't see any limitations, you haven't really used VS.NET's HTML
    editor much.

    > None of
    > these DW-like "design" apps come even close to knowing simple markup
    > and CSS (and there are TONS of very good CSS templates and resources
    > such as csszengarden on the web to get you started).

    No, but DW's CSS editor is decent - and the HTML produced by DW is clean
    - unlike VS.NET : )

    --
    Stan Kee ()

    Spam Catcher, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Jim

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in news:9FKtf.2412$vL4.2365
    @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

    > BTW.....Microsoft does see Dreamweaver as a competitor. I found the
    > following after reading ClintonG's reply to the OP.....

    The previous post is a minority in this group. Last time I posted a similar
    rant about VS.NET's HTML editing capabilities, most people agreed that
    VS.NET needs a major overhaul.

    VS.NET's HTML editing is "good enough" to get by. Hence that's why I build
    my templates in DW, then copy and paste the HTML back over to VS.NET! : )

    --
    Stan Kee ()

    Spam Catcher, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Can you do that without screwing up something in .Net?

    I was afraid I'd eliminate some headers that ASP.Net required.

    Speaking of hosing up html......when I first saw it's output, I thought that
    FromtPage was an intentional bastadization of the HTML standard to get a
    better foothold in the web.

    Fortunately, FrontPage never could compete with the likes of
    Dreamweaver......or notepad for that matter.

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Here it is!

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/web_designer/default.aspx

    Click the "see it in action!" link for a demo video.

    Looks great! But, I'm afraid the best features will be specific to
    Vista.....there's got to be a catch. Microsoft has NEVER adopted a standard
    without trying to change it.

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Download the beta!

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/downloads.aspx

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jan 1, 2006
  13. That's just the graphic tool.

    Randall Arnold

    Randall Arnold, Jan 2, 2006
  14. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I added that bit of information elsewhere.....sorry I forgot to add it here.

    I am getting more info on getting into the beta program for Microsoft
    Enterprise (which contains all 3 apps in a suite), and I'll let you know
    what I find out.

    Jim, Jan 2, 2006
  15. Jim

    Joe Reiss Guest

    With master pages why would you need frames anyway?

    Joe

    Joe Reiss, Jan 3, 2006
  16. Jim

    Jim Guest

    If your navigation "frame" loads content outside your website that you do
    not control, you cannot load those outside pages as content pages because
    you can't add the content headers required by the master pages.

    Frames do this simple task extremely well.

    Jim, Jan 3, 2006