Any hints why Firefox won't honor target=_top?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by .._.., Dec 8, 2009.

  1. .._..

    .._.. Guest

    I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends content to
    the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)

    The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
    remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.

    The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the remote
    server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with it. I have no
    control over that script... it's on the other server.

    In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the contents
    of the response from the remote server is displayed on the next page when
    the button is pushed. In FireFox, the content is displayed in the iFrame,
    which of course is unreadable.

    I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
    works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as expected. I believe
    the problem is specific to the form button, wherein FireFox does not honor
    the "target" tag in the surrounding files for form buttons.

    I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of" the
    frame, but that is the long way around.

    So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the "base
    target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the button? I'd
    like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried modifying the way I
    quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.

    .._.., Dec 8, 2009

  2. .._..

    rf Guest

    ..._.. wrote:
    > I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends
    > content to the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)
    >
    > The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
    > remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.
    >
    > The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the
    > remote server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with
    > it. I have no control over that script... it's on the other server.
    >
    > In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the
    > contents of the response from the remote server is displayed on the
    > displayed in the iFrame, which of course is unreadable.
    >
    > I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
    > works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as
    > expected. I believe the problem is specific to the form button,
    > wherein FireFox does not honor the "target" tag in the surrounding
    > files for form buttons.
    > I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of"
    > the frame, but that is the long way around.
    >
    > So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the
    > "base target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the
    > button? I'd like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried
    > modifying the way I quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.

    Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where this
    page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to spot your
    obvious error.

    rf, Dec 8, 2009

  3. .._..

    .._.. Guest

    rf" <> wrote in message
    > .._.. wrote:
    >> I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends
    >> content to the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)
    >>
    >> The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
    >> remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.
    >>
    >> The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the
    >> remote server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with
    >> it. I have no control over that script... it's on the other server.
    >>
    >> In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the
    >> contents of the response from the remote server is displayed on the
    >> displayed in the iFrame, which of course is unreadable.
    >>
    >> I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
    >> works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as
    >> expected. I believe the problem is specific to the form button,
    >> wherein FireFox does not honor the "target" tag in the surrounding
    >> files for form buttons.
    >> I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of"
    >> the frame, but that is the long way around.
    >>
    >> So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the
    >> "base target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the
    >> button? I'd like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried
    >> modifying the way I quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.

    > Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where this
    > page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to spot your
    > obvious error.

    Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.

    How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self defense,
    government monitored internet and genocide going for ya mate?

    Maybe you should direct your anger there.

    .._.., Dec 9, 2009
  4. ..._.. wrote:

    > Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.
    >
    > How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self
    > defense, government monitored internet and genocide going for ya mate?
    >
    > Maybe you should direct your anger there.

    It seems that we cannot explain your behavior as mere stupidity anymore,
    after that anonymous attack on someone whose only mistake was fullquoting.

    So thank &Deity; you were also stupid enough not to post a URL but instead
    attacked a person who made that sensible suggestion. This way, nobody wasted
    much time in trying to help you.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 9, 2009
  5. .._..

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 09 Dec 2009, ".._.." <> wrote:

    > rf" <> wrote in message
    >> Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where
    >> this page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to
    >> spot your obvious error.

    > Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.
    >
    > How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self
    > defense, government monitored internet and genocide going for ya
    > mate?
    >
    > Maybe you should direct your anger there.

    It ain't "anger", it's "angst". There's a lot of angst 'round here.
    Comes from beer, I think.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/