Any IBM POSS Programmers? How do I make a IBM POS VFD Customer Display work?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Robert Wells, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Robert Wells

    Robert Wells Guest

    I have four IBM POS VFD Customer Displays aka "Pole Displays" This is
    the one attached to various IBM electronic cash registers that shows the
    customer the price of each item as it is rung up and then the grand total.
    It has two lines of twenty characters in flourescent blue or green. These
    particular displays are IBM part number 61P5766. They are beautiful
    displays, highly readable and from what I understand are very reliable. I
    would like to be to use them in some PIC projects but there is a problem. I
    can't find information on how to make them work. They have a four pin jack
    in the bottom. They have a Futaba VFD module inside and that part number is
    M202MD08A. Futaba will not give out any information as they say the design
    is IBM property. This is what I've been able to figure out so far:

    The suppply voltage is 12VDC on the two outer pins. Applying power
    results in a display of "U001" after about three seconds. This I read in an
    IBM document, indicates the initialization/self test was successful and the
    display is waiting for communications.

    There is a A176B RS-485 transceiver on the display circuit board and
    that is the equivalent of the TI SN75176. So I figure it must be using
    RS-485 electrical communication protocol (differential pair). Thus I figure
    the two inner most pins on the connector must be the so-called AB pair that
    the signals are sent on. I have tried hooking up a LTC485 transceiver chip
    to the output of my PIC 18F452 serial port and sent a variety of codes via
    pins 2 and 3 on the display connector. I tried to display text on it,
    initialize it and clear the display all to no avail. I am using a comm setup
    of 9600 baud, eight bits, no parity and 1 stop bit on the PIC. I've also
    tried 2400 and 19200 baud, even parity, no luck. I am using the PIC hserout
    command. This is driving me absolutely bonkers. I don't know if I need
    enable the receiver or not but I did and there was no success. What I am
    wondering is if IBM has special codes in its POSS drivers that unlock this
    device for communications. I guess if someone had the source to the
    "customer display" section of the POSS drivers I could figure it out, but I
    can't even find any information about where such programmers hang out on the
    net. I would be most appreciative for anyone that might help. These displays
    would be great for all sorts of projects and are readable even in bright
    light. With the RS-485 protocol they should be ideal for remote displays
    using a twisted pair wiring at hundreds if not thousands of feet! They have
    been available from time to time on eBay for $20 US plus shipping, brand new
    in the original IBM box! I WILL SEND ONE OF THESE UNITS TO THE PERSON THAT
    CAN PROVIDE THE INFORMATION THATS GETS IT UP AND RUNNING AS LONG AS THEY ARE
    IN THE CONTINENTAL US! Please help me!

    Sincerely ,
    Bob

    Robert Wells, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Robert Wells

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    Re: Any IBM POSS Programmers? How do I make a IBM POS VFD CustomerDisplay work?

    On Jun 24, 9:15 am, "Robert Wells" <> wrote:
    >     I have four IBM POS VFD Customer Displays aka "Pole Displays"

    [snip]

    And you are silly enough to post it here?

    You want a hardware group. I've no idea where that might be.
    Try groups.google.com as a starting place.
    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, Jun 24, 2008

  3. Robert Wells

    Robert Wells Guest

    What's so silly about posting to this group? POSS programmers are C and C++
    programmers, Dipstick. Since the solution to this problem is most likely
    found in the IBM POSS software and / or drivers why would this forum be
    innapropriate? Thanks for the helpful advice!

    Robert Wells, Jun 24, 2008
  4. Robert Wells

    Lionel B Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:17:39 -0700, Robert Wells wrote:

    > "Puppet_Sock" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 24, 9:15 am, "Robert Wells" <> wrote:
    >> I have four IBM POS VFD Customer Displays aka "Pole Displays"

    > [snip]
    >
    > And you are silly enough to post it here?
    >
    > You want a hardware group. I've no idea where that might be. Try
    > groups.google.com as a starting place. Socks
    >
    > What's so silly about posting to this group? POSS programmers are C and
    > C++ programmers, Dipstick. Since the solution to this problem is most
    > likely found in the IBM POSS software and / or drivers why would this
    > forum be innapropriate?

    This is a newsgroup for C++ *language* issues. Please see the FAQ:

    Regards,

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jun 24, 2008
  5. Robert Wells

    Default User Guest

    Robert Wells wrote:

    > What's so silly about posting to this group? POSS programmers are C
    > and C++ programmers, Dipstick.

    *plonk*

    Brian

    Default User, Jun 24, 2008