Any idea why the following page doesn't display in Safari 1.0 v85?

Dave Rado

Hi David

| Its the HTML 3.2 syntax. It was obsoleted by HTML 4.x in 1996.

Many thanks for the explanation. IMO, it's a shame that when they change
their specs, they don't do so in a way that allows for back-compatibility.

Regards

Dave

David Dorward

Dave said:
| Its the HTML 3.2 syntax. It was obsoleted by HTML 4.x in 1996.

Many thanks for the explanation. IMO, it's a shame that when they change
their specs, they don't do so in a way that allows for back-compatibility.

The obsolete syntax is still there in Transitional varients - but you can't
throw away bad bits of a design but remain compatable with browsers which
need those bits of design (not that I can think of any user agent which
can't cope without a language attribute on a script tag).

kayodeok

See my reply to Richard's post - as soon as I do that I lose NS4
compatibility, and NS4 compatibility is critical to me.

NS4 is a buggy browser which does not get CSS right; however, if
you can code your site using semantic markup, you can hide the CSS
from NS4: See

http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

There are some regulars in this group that may be able to work
with NS4; I am not one of them unfortunately.

The page I parsed was based on Brucie's link to the Validator; I
didn't have a look at your page until today and I have already
begun working on the link Brucie parsed before I saw your
reference to another page.

I have attempted to code your Front Page using Semantic Mark Up -
it is an unfinished job because
(a) I found out too late that you had problems with a specific
page and
(b) I have more pressing projects including one of my own sites
which needs to be redesigned using the correct mark up but I hope
it gives an idea what can be achieved by separating style from
content.

http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/usenet/mvp-word.html

Caveat:
* None of the links go anywhere.
* The CSS is simply a suggestion which can be adjusted to suit your
tastes
* This is just an idea on how a document can be laid out; regulars
here will have better ideas.
* I didn't include any of your images
* The Season greeting should ideally be floated to the right; I
must be missing some memory grams over the xmas break because I
couldn't get it to work!
* I haven't bothered to hide from NS4
* IE5.5: I haven't bothered to implement the hacks to get IE5.0 and
IE5.5 to center the main content; see
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Center_with_CSS and
http://theodorakis.net/blockcenter.html for a way how to do it.
See my latest reply to Brucie - the page you parsed displays
perfectly in Safari, according to the link you gave me below; so
none of the above can be relevant to why certain pages such as
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/ don't display in Safari 1.1.
Also, having re-read the spec, I can see no way to achieve the
same look that I have created if I followed the above advice. If
you have time to rewrite me site for me so that it looks exactly
the same as it does now while being 100% compliant with the css
spec, then that would be absolutely wonderful; but all I'm
actually asking for is some help in tracking down why 99% of the
pages on the site *do* display perfectly in Safari and the other
1%, such as http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/, *don't*.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to redo your site; besides, I
am not an expert in stuff like this, brucie is the one you need ;)

I know nothing about Safari; perhaps it is choking on
your area map? I haven't bothered to validate the page in question
because if the validator did find anything wrong with your area map,
I wouldn't know how to interprete it because I haven't worked with it
before.

If you could hunt down the specs for the Safari
Browser, that would give you a clue about Safari's Support for Area
Maps - not all browsers support everything in the specs though they
get better with each new release which is probably why Safari 1.1
works on your site and the previous one didn't.

I haven't had a chance to work with Area Maps so I cannot comment
further on this.

In any case, I would attempt to mark up the tabs as a list; see
the horizontal menus at http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/
and http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic2/ for ideas - I don't know
if it would work though.

If you are not happy with the response here, you could try
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html for another point of view (you
should be used to the culture shock by now).

But you really need to read the specs and figure this stuff out for
yourself.