    and outgoing references for my selected instances
    so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

    TIA

    xarax, Aug 12, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Chris Smith <> wrote:

    >:xarax wrote:
    >:> JMP (freeware) won't even start. It just crashes on my
    >:> WindowsXP.
    >:>
    >:> JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
    >:> too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
    >:> crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
    >:> trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
    >:> product.
    >:>
    >:> I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.
    >:>
    >:> I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
    >:> and outgoing references for my selected instances
    >:> so I can figure out where my memory leak is.
    >:
    >:I've used OptimizeIt with great success for a similar task.

    And the newest version includes an "automatic" memory leak detector,
    though I confess that I don't understand how to use it. BTW, OptimizeIt
    is now a Borland product.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Aug 12, 2003

  3. > JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
    > too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
    > crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
    > trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
    > product.
    >
    > I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.
    >
    > I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
    > and outgoing references for my selected instances
    > so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

    I found JProfiler stable and easy to use, doing exactly what I wanted
    it to do: Find a memory leak in a Weblogic application in one case,
    and show CPU bottlenecks in a Swing application in another.

    I am using Windows 2000 and it hasn't crashed on me. I don't know if
    XP is the culprit, but I'd say give it another shot. I found the
    memory leak immediately simply by watching instance counts creep up
    and never fall back down, even after GC.

    Jared

    Jared MacDonald, Aug 12, 2003
  4. xarax

    Chris Smith Guest

    xarax wrote:
    > OptimizeIt doesn't work for my jar file. JProfiler works,
    > but crashes the JVM when I try to take a snapshot of memory.
    >
    > Is there anything else that actually works?

    What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Aug 12, 2003
  5. xarax

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 06:30:02 -0700, (xarax) wrote or quoted
    :

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/profiler.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 12, 2003
  6. xarax

    xarax Guest

    (Jared MacDonald) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
    > > too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
    > > crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
    > > trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
    > > product.
    > >
    > > I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.
    > >
    > > I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
    > > and outgoing references for my selected instances
    > > so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

    > I found JProfiler stable and easy to use, doing exactly what I wanted
    > it to do: Find a memory leak in a Weblogic application in one case,
    > and show CPU bottlenecks in a Swing application in another.
    >
    > I am using Windows 2000 and it hasn't crashed on me. I don't know if
    > XP is the culprit, but I'd say give it another shot. I found the
    > memory leak immediately simply by watching instance counts creep up
    > and never fall back down, even after GC.
    >
    > Jared

    I was able to guess correctly at a memory leak by watching
    the JProfiler instance display (sorting by the size column).
    (It really wasn't a memory leak, just a zillion allocations
    of a class that I really didn't need. So, I took out the
    class, recompiled, and the memory usage dropped way down.)

    It's when I ask JProfiler to take a snapshot so I can do
    the Heap Walker thing, that's when my JVM crashes (not
    JProfiler -- it just says "the JVM exited").

    Thanks anyway....

    xarax, Aug 12, 2003
  7. xarax () wrote:
    : JMP (freeware) won't even start. It just crashes on my
    : WindowsXP.

    Hmm, I havent seen any bug reports from you, so you do not exist,
    right? ;-)
    Does it crash even if you run without method and monitor profiling?
    since it is memory you want to debug you should turn them off.

    : JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
    : too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
    : crashes the JVM.

    Hmmm, odd. Have you sent a bug report to them?

    : I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.

    that should work ok and have most of the jvmpi bugs fixed.

    : I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
    : and outgoing references for my selected instances
    : so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

    optimizeIT may work

    /robo - jmp developer

    Robert Olofsson, Aug 13, 2003
  8. xarax () wrote:
    : I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
    : and outgoing references for my selected instances
    : so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

    Also, dont forget that the hprof profiler that is included in the SUN
    jdk can output heap dump files that you can look in. This file is text
    that is quite easy to read and understand. This should work if all
    other options fail.
    The heap dump file and a quick search will show you what references
    you still have...

    /robo

    Robert Olofsson, Aug 13, 2003