Any LPR solution??

nuriavadillo

Hi,

I need recognize a License Plate from an image, and then in my program
work with it. Any one know something to do this???

Thanks in advance...

Andrew Thompson

I need recognize a License Plate from an image, and then in my program
work with it. Any one know something to do this???

'OCR' and a very huge chuck of processing power.

jan V

I need recognize a License Plate from an image, and then in my program
work with it. Any one know something to do this???

There are a number of commercial products which do this. Is it your
intention to create something similar? Maybe your best bet is to approach
these product manufacturers and ask them if they're willing to license their
technology to you.

If, on the other hand, this is a student assignment, tell your professor
he's got a cool sense of humour. ;-)

Thomas Hawtin

jan said:
There are a number of commercial products which do this. Is it your
intention to create something similar? Maybe your best bet is to approach
these product manufacturers and ask them if they're willing to license their
technology to you.

Apparently it's very easy. I guess it helps if you're used to doing
image manipulation.

You need to be able to recognise an appropriate perspective-transformed
rectangle. Transform the rectangle back to a flat rectangle. Affine
transforms are a superset of perspective transforms, so there's good
library support. Whack up the contrast. At this point you have some
software that can help capturing whiteboards. Feed to OCR.

Tom Hawtin

Monique Y. Mudama

There are a number of commercial products which do this. Is it your
intention to create something similar? Maybe your best bet is to
approach these product manufacturers and ask them if they're willing
to license their technology to you.

If, on the other hand, this is a student assignment, tell your
professor he's got a cool sense of humour. ;-)

Cool or cruel?

Roedy Green

I need recognize a License Plate from an image, and then in my program
work with it. Any one know something to do this???

The practical solution is you feed the images to some commercial OCR
software. However, if you want to play:

If your images are perfectly cropped, so they are all the exact same
size, your first task to enhance the contrast.

You want to tweak the contrast to get say 10% of the pixels black. You
tweak the cutoff until that happens. 10% is a magic number to be found
by experiment.

Let's for a moment presume the font is fixed pitch. You slice the
image into 6 pieces, one for each letter/digit.

Now you compare each piece with each of the 30 possibilities,
computing a bit count difference.

That is pretty crude. It would work perfectly for screen captures
though, a related problem -- converting screen captures back into
text.

For a real license system, e.g. an automated speeding ticket system,
you have a number additional problems:

1. the image is unevenly lit. You must compensate.

2. you are looking at the image at an angle. You must compensate.

3. You have to discard out of state license plates for manual id.

4. the image may be dirty, or mud splattered.

5. the font might be variable pitch.

6. you have to find and crop the licence plate in a large confusing
image.

nuriavadillo

I don´t ming buy a product for this, I want integrate this with our
program... but only need this, the software for recognize the license
plate from images and send to us only the string.

I think do this software take a long time, is no easy...

If any one know one, please say me... Thanks!

Andrew Thompson

I don´t ming buy a product for this, I want integrate this with our

Who is 'us'. And what program is it? What does your program do?
program... but only need this, the software for recognize the license
plate from images and send to us only the string.

I think do this software take a long time, is no easy...

Tada! At least we have got that across.

--
Andrew Thompson
"If no one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the

nuriavadillo

Andrew Thompson ha escrito:
Who is 'us'. And what program is it? What does your program do?

Tada! At least we have got that across.

--
Andrew Thompson
"If no one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the
middle man."
Billy Bragg 'Waiting For The Great Leap Forward'

Well, in my work we develop in java a program like an small ERP, and
now we want have a new module to use in the parking of our client...
only we are trying know if it is possible or not... but all I can see
is a software complete to use in parkings (with the program...) and we
don´t need this, only need the part to recognize the License Plates...

can you understand me?? Sorry about my english... :-(

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson ha escrito:
Well, in my work we develop in java a program like an small ERP, and
now we want have a new module to use in the parking of our client...

O..K, so are we talking a Walmart carpark, or a small corporate
carpark with assigned vehicle spaces?[1] It it a 'company fleet'
of vehicles in the carpark? Is there a boomgate?[2]

[1] The latter might be better suited to a 'magnetic strip'
style vehicle identification system.

[2] The 'boomgate' meansit is much easier to get good images
of the plates.
only we are trying know if it is possible or not...

It is possible. Especially given it is a parking lot.
..but all I can see
is a software complete to use in parkings (with the program...)

So you have seen complete 'parking packages' that do this?
If that is the case, ...
...and we
don´t need this, only need the part to recognize the License Plates...

....it would probably be cheaper for you to forge a special
license with one distributor to use only the licence plate
recognition part of their software.
can you understand me?? Sorry about my english... :-(

Your English is fine. A few more details (see above)
might help us to find the best way to approach this, though.

Virgil Green

Andrew Thompson ha escrito:

Well, in my work we develop in java a program like an small ERP, and
now we want have a new module to use in the parking of our client...
only we are trying know if it is possible or not... but all I can see
is a software complete to use in parkings (with the program...) and we
don´t need this, only need the part to recognize the License Plates...

can you understand me?? Sorry about my english... :-(

This is almost sad to have to type. The first link found on a google search
using the search term "license plate recognition" revealed the website at
http://www.licenseplaterecognition.com/

Read on from there.

nuriavadillo

Thanks for your answer.

sorry but I don´t know what is 'boomgate'... well I need while the
vehicle approaches the gate, the LPR unit automatically "reads" the
license plate registration number, compares to a predefined list and
opens the gate if there is a match. We have the cameras installed so we
have the image, now need the LPR software.. and yes the are trying buy
only this part of the software.

nuriavadillo

Thanks, but I read this. This dll 6.000 €/license and we are
evaluating other posibilitys...

Andrew Thompson

sorry but I don´t know what is 'boomgate'... well I need while the
vehicle approaches the gate, the LPR unit automatically "reads" the
license plate registration number, compares to a predefined list and
opens the gate if there is a match.

My bad. For 'boomgate' read 'gate that stops vehicle'.

Reading a licence plate number from a *moving* vehicle
is a whole order of magnitude harder.

Better, since you can 'stop' the vehicle at the gate,
it should not be hard to put the vehicle in a place
where you can provide good light.
..We have the cameras installed so we
have the image, now need the LPR software.. and yes the are trying buy
only this part of the software.

Let us know how it goes..

Joan

<snip />
There was a spot on the news here in Chicago about
the IPASS system on tollways. They have cameras that
look at and decode your licence plate number at speeds
in excess of 60 mph (some toll stations let you go straight
through at highway speed). If your LP is in the database
and the transponder doesn't pick up your signal, they
charge you anyway. So high speed is not a problem,
and using a camera is not a problem. Give them a call.