any memcched users in here?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by johannes falcone, Feb 1, 2014.

  1. curious about ability of memcached to replace a windows share?

    johannes falcone, Feb 1, 2014

  2. On Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:14:31 AM UTC-5, johannes falcone wrote:
    > curious about ability of memcached to replace a windows share?

    A Windows share in this context I assume canonically speaking typically is a remote folder exposed to clients. That is, providing access to file(s) via the RPC protocol.
    Whereas Memcached is data centric memory store akin distributed hash-table resource (often across machines).

    So a Windows share holds nothing in memory only some content may be cached on the client.

    You essentially thus talking about two totally different things.

    To help you further please shed some light into what technical issue you are trying to solve.

    Arthur Zubarev, Feb 3, 2014

  3. On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:52:01 PM UTC-8, Arthur Zubarev wrote:
    > On Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:14:31 AM UTC-5, johannes falcone wrote:
    >
    > > curious about ability of memcached to replace a windows share?

    > A Windows share in this context I assume canonically speaking typically is a remote folder exposed to clients. That is, providing access to file(s) via the RPC protocol.
    >
    > Whereas Memcached is data centric memory store akin distributed hash-table resource (often across machines).
    >

    > So a Windows share holds nothing in memory only some content may be cached on the client.
    >

    > You essentially thus talking about two totally different things.
    >

    > To help you further please shed some light into what technical issue you are trying to solve.

    well can memcached be used as a windows share?
    like keep files in ram?
    for say speedy backups

    johannes falcone, Feb 20, 2014