Any movement on FreeBSD segfaults when using threads?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mike C. Fletcher, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. There was a post a few months ago from "snacktime" in which they
    described a failure when running under Twisted:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/265137.html

    which they eventually narrowed down to an apparent problem with pycrypto:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/265146.html

    and which generated this sourceforge bug report for Python:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2005-February/009475.html
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1080660&group_id=5470&atid=105470

    I am seeing a similar effect, (though only after the program has been
    running a few days), in one of our products running on FreeBSD 5.3-RC2
    with Python 2.3.4, PyOpenSSL 0.6, Twisted 2.0, and PyPgSQL 2.4 (which is
    somewhat different than snacktime's library collection (different
    OpenSSL and PostgreSQL bindings)). Note particularly, that the PyCrypto
    library to which the problem was apparently localised is *not* installed
    on the failing machine.

    As with snacktime, I see the failure coming from pthread_testcancel()

    (gdb) bt
    #0 0x28222f17 in pthread_testcancel () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
    #1 0x2821b39f in pthread_mutexattr_init () from
    /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
    #2 0x00000000 in ?? ()

    I haven't been able to isolate the failures to a particular piece of
    code (this is showing up on a live server, so I'm hesitant to run under
    gdb for a couple of days to try to catch the failure). I'm *not* using
    RSA encryption (which was the area to which snacktime localised their
    problem). I *do* use SSL sockets from Twisted, however. I am running a
    background thread for database access, with a Queue mediating the set of
    items to process and reactor.callFromThread returning control to Twisted
    when the items are finished.

    Anyway, my question is really "has this been solved already"? If so,
    what was the solution? If not, I'll have to work at building a minimal
    failing test case so I can begin to debug it.

    Thanks for any information,
    Mike

    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder