    maybe my point may be misunderstood. So I try with an analogy: in "good" old RMI there were several clients and one server instance. With JMS there isno server instance in the sense of RMI as JMS only does the transportation.. So I'm looking for an open source solution that combines JMS with such a server instance on which custom code can be executed. Both, JMS and the server instance needs to be clustered. I don't want to go with some application server as there is no need for EJBs for my application. Thanks for any suggestions. I did search the internet, but didn't find anything useful in reasonable time.

    Thanks, Oliver
    , Jun 9, 2011

  2. On 11-06-09 02:46 PM, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > maybe my point may be misunderstood. So I try with an analogy: in "good" old RMI there were several clients and one server instance. With JMS there is no server instance in the sense of RMI as JMS only does the transportation. So I'm looking for an open source solution that combines JMS with such a server instance on which custom code can be executed. Both, JMS and the server instance needs to be clustered. I don't want to go with some application server as there is no need for EJBs for my application. Thanks for any suggestions. I did search the internet, but didn't find anything useful in reasonable time.
    >
    > Thanks, Oliver

    You could look at the clustering page for Apache ActiveMQ
    (http://activemq.apache.org/clustering.html); I think this is likely a
    good starting point for you.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jun 9, 2011

  3. wrote:

    > maybe my point may be misunderstood. So I try with an analogy: in "good"
    > old RMI there were several clients and one server instance. With JMS there
    > is no server instance in the sense of RMI as JMS only does the
    > transportation. So I'm looking for an open source solution that combines
    > JMS with such a server instance on which custom code can be executed.
    > Both, JMS and the server instance needs to be clustered. I don't want to
    > go with some application server as there is no need for EJBs for my
    > application.

    There is a contradiction here - you say you don't need EJBs while having
    requirements that are best handled by JEE app servers.
    Is there a specific reason why EJB cannot be used?
    Message Driven Beans are what you are looking for actually.

    --
    Michal
    Michal Kleczek, Jun 9, 2011
  4. Tom Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:46:17 -0700, saxo123 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > maybe my point may be misunderstood. So I try with an analogy: in "good"
    > old RMI there were several clients and one server instance. With JMS
    > there is no server instance in the sense of RMI as JMS only does the
    > transportation. So I'm looking for an open source solution that combines
    > JMS with such a server instance on which custom code can be executed.
    > Both, JMS and the server instance needs to be clustered. I don't want to
    > go with some application server as there is no need for EJBs for my
    > application. Thanks for any suggestions. I did search the internet, but
    > didn't find anything useful in reasonable time.
    >
    > Thanks, Oliver

    Not quite sure what you mean in that you are combining
    two issues... client/server is one thing (I mean in the sense that
    the client is a user front-end) and server components
    set up to react in a messaging environment are another.

    Anyway, you could consider Inq (mine at http://www.inqwell.com). It has
    its own scripting language. Although this may be more than you were
    considering it does mean you can reparse (parts of) your application
    into the server(s) while they are running. The idea is that enterprise
    apps are quick and easy to build. Everything is a map so relationships
    (while obviously inferred in the data model) are defined at runtime
    according to the needs of the context. Entities are only modelled
    and mapped (to a database) once. Inq can call Java and Java can call Inq.

    I typically work in situations where time-scales are short, requirements
    are poorly specified and subject to change at short notice. No time
    for UML designs etc etc.

    But if you could be more specific....
    Tom, Jun 9, 2011