    Thank you

    --
    Ruby Student

    Ruby Student, Feb 26, 2009

  2. Ruby Student wrote:
    > Is there any plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

    No. The OneClickInstaller is dead. It was much too hard to maintain.
    Also, to compile Ruby and its various extensions and dependencies, it
    uses a version of Microsoft Visual C that is so old (1998!) that it is
    not only no longer supported but it is literally extinct. It also
    means that OCI can only be compiled on Windows.

    There is a successor to the OneClickInstaller, however, which is
    called RubyInstaller. RubyInstaller is based on a modern version of
    GCC and MinGW/MSys. It is also specifically designed to be
    cross-compiled, so that RI can be built on Linux, BSD, OS X, you name
    it.

    RI will support both MRI 1.8.6 and YARV 1.9.1. However, it is not
    released yet. If you want to find out how you can help, the homepage
    is here:

    <http://RubyInstaller.Org/>

    The sourcecode repository is here:

    <https://GitHub.Com/OneClick/>

    Luis Lavena, the primary developer, (micro-)blogs here:

    <http://Blog.MMediaSys.Com/>
    <http://Twitter.Com/LuisLavena>

    jwm

    Jörg W Mittag, Feb 26, 2009

  3. Jörg W Mittag wrote:
    > RubyInstaller [...] homepage is here:
    >
    > <http://RubyInstaller.Org/>

    That homepage fails with this error:

    Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in
    /home/mmediasy/public_html/rubyinstaller/index.php on line 25

    Suraj Kurapati, Feb 26, 2009
  4. Ruby Student

    Jim Knowlton Guest

    So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
    installer? In other words, I run an install program, without having
    to do any building, and it installs my product (along with a Scite
    editor or something to easily edit the files)?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Jim Knowlton, Feb 27, 2009
  5. Ruby Student

    Ruby Student Guest

    On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Suraj Kurapati <> wrote:

    > J=F6rg W Mittag wrote:
    > > RubyInstaller [...] homepage is here:
    > >
    > > <http://RubyInstaller.Org/>

    > That homepage fails with this error:
    >
    > Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in
    > /home/mmediasy/public_html/rubyinstaller/index.php on line 25

    I received the same error:*Fatal error*: Class 'PDO' not found in *
    /home/mmediasy/public_html/rubyinstaller/index.php* on line *25*
    Is the URL correct?

    Thank you

    --=20
    Ruby Student

    Ruby Student, Feb 27, 2009
  6. Ruby Student

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 26, 7:29 pm, Jim Knowlton <> wrote:
    > So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
    > installer?  In other words, I run an install program, without having
    > to do any building, and it installs my product (along with a Scite
    > editor or something to easily edit the files)?

    Q: So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
    installer?

    A: Yes, except it will not bundle 20+ gems and extensions like it
    currently does

    Q: I run an install program, without having to do any building, and it
    installs my product.

    A: Yes, as long the gem you install has Windows binaries.

    Q: If the gem I try to install has not Windows binaries, what I should
    do?

    A1: Bug the gem developer and make them use rake-compiler

    A2: We will provide a set of development kit that will ease the
    building of those, but is not intended for average normal users. Just
    under those circumstances.

    Q: along with a Scite editor or something to easily edit the files)?

    A: Maybe not. Keeping Ruby update to date requires quite of effort.
    The SciTE schema files for Ruby will need to be updated to highlight
    properly the new 1.9 syntax, which is beyond the scope of One-Click
    Installer project.

    Regards,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Ruby Student

    Roger Pack Guest

    Ruby Student wrote:
    > TWIMC,
    >
    > Is there any plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

    There are. One will be released "soon" now that 1.9.1 itself has been
    released.
    Until then you can even build your own :)

    ex:
    http://www.holymonkey.com/building-shoes-in-windows

    Feel free to join the rubyinstaller-dev mailing list and help out.

    Cheers!
    -=r

    Roger Pack, Feb 28, 2009
  8. Excellent! Now I have something to play with over the weekend!

    Just for grins, is there a similar page for layering Rails on top of this?

    <ducking>

    P.S.: Do you need to run this under KVM, or does it run in a native
    Windows machine? :)

    (I have a Windows machine with openSUSE 11.1 as a VMware Server 2.0 guest).

    On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Roger Pack <> wrote=
    :
    > Ruby Student wrote:
    >> TWIMC,
    >>
    >> Is there any =C2=A0plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

    > There are. =C2=A0One will be released "soon" now that 1.9.1 itself has be=

    en
    > released.
    > Until then you can even build your own :)
    >
    > ex:
    > http://www.holymonkey.com/building-shoes-in-windows
    >
    > Feel free to join the rubyinstaller-dev mailing list and help out.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -=3Dr

    --=20
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Feb 28, 2009
  9. Ruby Student

    Roger Pack Guest

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > Excellent! Now I have something to play with over the weekend!
    >
    > Just for grins, is there a similar page for layering Rails on top of
    > this?

    smack. Yeah just run gem install rails :)

    > <ducking>
    >
    > P.S.: Do you need to run this under KVM, or does it run in a native
    > Windows machine? :)

    Though I can't say as I've ever really tried, I think it runs on native
    windows. Or in a vmware box running windows. Either way.

    As a further note, you can get some one click 1.9 installs from the
    wxRuby fellas, too:
    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35

    I guess those GUI people are driving us forward these days.

    -=r

    Roger Pack, Feb 28, 2009
  10. Hello Ed:

    I'm jumping into the conversation... For Windows I got impatient waiting
    for the rubyinstaller (but I'm still looking forward to it) so I
    downloaded the windows ZIP from the ruby front page
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/. Extracted everything to a c:\progam
    files\ruby directory then added the c:\progam files\ruby\bin and
    c:\progam files\ruby\lib directories to my PATH variable and things seem
    to work OK (except for ruby-opengl, which I can't get work because of a
    reference to mscvrt-18.dll or something like that which I haven't
    figured out yet).

    Don't know about rails.

    Michael

    Michael Brooks, Feb 28, 2009