Any plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

Ruby Student

TWIMC,

Is there any plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

Thank you

Jörg W Mittag

Ruby said:
Is there any plans for a "OneClickInstaller for Ruby 1.9.1?

No. The OneClickInstaller is dead. It was much too hard to maintain.
Also, to compile Ruby and its various extensions and dependencies, it
uses a version of Microsoft Visual C that is so old (1998!) that it is
not only no longer supported but it is literally extinct. It also
means that OCI can only be compiled on Windows.

There is a successor to the OneClickInstaller, however, which is
called RubyInstaller. RubyInstaller is based on a modern version of
GCC and MinGW/MSys. It is also specifically designed to be
cross-compiled, so that RI can be built on Linux, BSD, OS X, you name
it.

RI will support both MRI 1.8.6 and YARV 1.9.1. However, it is not
released yet. If you want to find out how you can help, the homepage
is here:

<http://RubyInstaller.Org/>

The sourcecode repository is here:

<https://GitHub.Com/OneClick/>

Luis Lavena, the primary developer, (micro-)blogs here:

<http://Blog.MMediaSys.Com/>
<http://Twitter.Com/LuisLavena>

jwm

Jim Knowlton

So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
installer? In other words, I run an install program, without having
to do any building, and it installs my product (along with a Scite
editor or something to easily edit the files)?

Thanks,

Jim

Ruby Student

J=F6rg W Mittag said:
RubyInstaller [...] homepage is here:

<http://RubyInstaller.Org/>

That homepage fails with this error:

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in
/home/mmediasy/public_html/rubyinstaller/index.php on line 25
I received the same error:*Fatal error*: Class 'PDO' not found in *
/home/mmediasy/public_html/rubyinstaller/index.php* on line *25*
Is the URL correct?

Thank you

--=20
Ruby Student

Luis Lavena

So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
installer?  In other words, I run an install program, without having
to do any building, and it installs my product (along with a Scite
editor or something to easily edit the files)?

Q: So will the RubyInstaller be functionally like the One-click
installer?

A: Yes, except it will not bundle 20+ gems and extensions like it
currently does

Q: I run an install program, without having to do any building, and it
installs my product.

A: Yes, as long the gem you install has Windows binaries.

Q: If the gem I try to install has not Windows binaries, what I should
do?

A1: Bug the gem developer and make them use rake-compiler

A2: We will provide a set of development kit that will ease the
building of those, but is not intended for average normal users. Just
under those circumstances.

Q: along with a Scite editor or something to easily edit the files)?

A: Maybe not. Keeping Ruby update to date requires quite of effort.
The SciTE schema files for Ruby will need to be updated to highlight
properly the new 1.9 syntax, which is beyond the scope of One-Click
Installer project.

Regards,

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Excellent! Now I have something to play with over the weekend!

Just for grins, is there a similar page for layering Rails on top of this?

<ducking>

P.S.: Do you need to run this under KVM, or does it run in a native
Windows machine? :)

(I have a Windows machine with openSUSE 11.1 as a VMware Server 2.0 guest).

There are. =C2=A0One will be released "soon" now that 1.9.1 itself has be= en
released.
Until then you can even build your own :)

ex:
http://www.holymonkey.com/building-shoes-in-windows

Feel free to join the rubyinstaller-dev mailing list and help out.

Cheers!
-=3Dr

--=20
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky

Roger Pack

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky said:
Excellent! Now I have something to play with over the weekend!

Just for grins, is there a similar page for layering Rails on top of
this?

smack. Yeah just run gem install rails :)
<ducking>

P.S.: Do you need to run this under KVM, or does it run in a native
Windows machine? :)

Though I can't say as I've ever really tried, I think it runs on native
windows. Or in a vmware box running windows. Either way.

As a further note, you can get some one click 1.9 installs from the
wxRuby fellas, too:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35

I guess those GUI people are driving us forward these days.

-=r

Michael Brooks

Hello Ed:

I'm jumping into the conversation... For Windows I got impatient waiting
for the rubyinstaller (but I'm still looking forward to it) so I
downloaded the windows ZIP from the ruby front page
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/. Extracted everything to a c:\progam
files\ruby directory then added the c:\progam files\ruby\bin and
c:\progam files\ruby\lib directories to my PATH variable and things seem
to work OK (except for ruby-opengl, which I can't get work because of a
reference to mscvrt-18.dll or something like that which I haven't
figured out yet).

Don't know about rails.

Michael