    I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    connection between blocks

    Is it possible?

    Aiken, Apr 23, 2009

  2. Aiken wrote:
    > I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    > connection between blocks
    >
    > Is it possible?

    Yes, see:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/miketreseler/stack.pdf
    I use the quartus RTL viewer which requires a license.

    The ise webpack viewer is free, but not as pretty.
    Emacs vhdl-mode speedbar is free, but uses text.
    Everything else is expensive or fussy.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Apr 23, 2009

  3. Aiken wrote:
    > I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    > connection between blocks
    >
    > Is it possible?

    Mentor used to have a product called Renoir that could do this.
    Apparently the name has changed and searching for it leads here:

    http://www.mentor.com/products/fpga/request?

    I'm guessing its not cheap.

    -Jeff

    Jeff Cunningham, Apr 24, 2009
  4. Aiken

    Dave Guest

    On Apr 23, 5:50 pm, Aiken <> wrote:
    > I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    > connection between blocks
    >
    > Is it possible?

    Three free utilities might help: doxygen, VHdocL, and VHDLdoc.

    Even though doxygen was originally made for software (C/C++/Java), it
    does have a VHDL mode and I'm told they've made improvements to the
    VHDL support.

    I've played a bit with VHDLdoc and VHdocL. I'm not a fan of VHDLdoc -
    too many restrictions on coding style for my liking. VHdocL is pretty
    simple and might get you something like a block diagram quickly.

    Hope this helps.

    Dave

    Dave, Apr 24, 2009
  5. Aiken

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Jeff Cunningham" <> wrote in message
    > Aiken wrote:
    >> I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    >> connection between blocks
    >>
    >> Is it possible?

    > Mentor used to have a product called Renoir that could do this. Apparently
    > the name has changed and searching for it leads here:

    That name has changed probably close to 10 years ago :)

    It is now called HDL Designer/Author and it is a great product (but as you
    mentioned not cheap).

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Apr 24, 2009
  6. Aiken

    Bert_Paris Guest

    Last time I checked (quite a while ago), ease HDL was a pretty good
    tool: http://www.hdlworks.com/products/ease/index.html
    btw: AFAIK, you don't need the subscription version to use Quartus' RTL
    Viewer, it's free, included in the Web Edition.

    Bert

    Bert_Paris, Apr 24, 2009
  7. Aiken <> writes:

    > I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    > connection between blocks

    SpringSoft (formerly Novas) Verdi. Costs a bit, though. Best RTL debug
    tool I have used so far.

    Regards
    Marcus
    --
    note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
    a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

    (seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)

    Marcus Harnisch, Apr 24, 2009
  8. Aiken

    Daniel Leu Guest

    Daniel Leu, Apr 25, 2009
  9. Aiken <> writes:

    > I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
    > connection between blocks

    If you have access to a Synopsys Design Compiler license you can do
    this with the create_schematic and plot -output filename.ps commands,
    but it might be more detailed that what you want depending upon which
    blocks you set_dont_touch etc.

    Petter
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.