    I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
    well!

    Thanks in advance!

    Jay Bornhoft, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Jay Bornhoft

    James Britt Guest

    Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > documentation requirements.

    Yes. The Ruby Standard Library

    --
    James Britt

    http://beginningruby.com - Beginning Ruby: The Online Book

    James Britt, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Jay Bornhoft

    Mat Schaffer Guest

    On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:

    > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > documentation requirements.
    >
    > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate
    > documentation as
    > well!
    >

    > Thanks in advance!

    How's your C? Either way. Ruby itself could always use help with the
    documentation. There's a working set of guidelines available at:

    http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ajjwr9dccrhx_08qfbqt

    It's a little bit out of date though. I'll work on updating it now
    that ruby's in subversion rather than CVS. In the mean time, check
    out this URL for details on checking out a copy of ruby:

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#following-ruby

    Also, joining the ruby-doc mailing list is a good start.

    -Mat

    Mat Schaffer, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Jay Bornhoft

    Jay Bornhoft Guest

    > How's your C? Either way. Ruby itself could always use help with the
    > documentation. There's a working set of guidelines available at:
    >
    > http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ajjwr9dccrhx_08qfbqt
    >
    > It's a little bit out of date though. I'll work on updating it now
    > that ruby's in subversion rather than CVS. In the mean time, check
    > out this URL for details on checking out a copy of ruby:
    >
    > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#following-ruby
    >
    > Also, joining the ruby-doc mailing list is a good start.

    My C is non-existent... the only language I 'know' is Ruby.

    I will check out both of the links you suggested, as well as the Ruby
    Standard Library, and join myself up for the mailing list.

    JB

    Jay Bornhoft, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Jay Bornhoft

    Robert James Guest

    Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > documentation requirements.
    >
    > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
    > well!
    >

    > Thanks in advance!

    SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
    autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.

    I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
    when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
    have any docs...

    (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
    revisions...)

    Robert James, Jan 3, 2007
  6. Jay Bornhoft

    Rob Sanheim Guest

    On 1/2/07, Robert James <> wrote:
    > Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > > documentation requirements.
    > >
    > > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
    > > well!
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance!

    > SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
    > autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
    >
    > I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
    > when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
    > have any docs...
    >
    > (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
    > revisions...)

    +1 on Soap4R. Its a shame how poorly documented that lib is.
    - rob

    Rob Sanheim, Jan 3, 2007
  7. Jay Bornhoft

    Chris Carter Guest

    On 1/2/07, Robert James <> wrote:
    > Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > > documentation requirements.
    > >
    > > I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
    > > well!
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance!

    > SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
    > autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
    >
    > I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
    > when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
    > have any docs...
    >
    > (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
    > revisions...)

    I too am willing to help document projects, and I will take a look at
    Soap4R and see if I can help document it

    --
    Chris Carter
    concentrationstudios.com

    Chris Carter, Jan 3, 2007
  8. Jay Bornhoft

    Sean Bryant Guest

    Robert James wrote:
    > Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    >> As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    >> community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    >> documentation requirements.
    >>
    >> I am also fluent in Spanish and would happily translate documentation as
    >> well!
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance!

    > SOAP4R is a crucial lib, and has *no* RDoc (other than the
    > autogenerated). It would be a great benefit to doc this.
    >
    > I know from experience that when trying to introduce people to Ruby,
    > when they want to know does Ruby do SOAP, it's a big turn off to not
    > have any docs...
    >
    > (While you're at it, http-access2 is related and could use some
    > revisions...)

    +1 for SOAP4R. It's crucial such libs are documented. Just my opinion
    for having to hand implement a SOAP lib in other languages and this
    being something useful that I'd use if I had to do it again in Ruby.

    Sean Bryant, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > documentation requirements.

    This touches on two broader topics as well 1) a master prioritized
    TODO/Ruby list other than the 'project want ads' on RubyForge and 2)
    the state of the rdoc tool itself. A casual search of google doesn't
    reveal anything immediately.

    Seems like we could use some top priorites for the new year laid out
    and focus efforts on those, but probably a little oversimplified given
    the scope and number of Ruby projects out there to be done.

    Personally I'd like to see RAA/RubyGems registry a-la CPAN-ish stuff
    materialize more this year with focus on preventing filename clashes
    and namespace registration along with self-documenting code that
    produces web site documentation just by uploading it. I don't see that
    in RAA currently, but there is a lot going on out there. And then we
    could build on that with a community-based test grid and ratings, that
    would be cool.

    So far I find rdoc far from from the Perl POD or even JavaDoc I grew
    accustomed to. I realize there are other priorities. I do wonder why
    POD wasn't just stolen verbatum. It didn't seem 'broken' to me. People
    write entire books in POD. Please correct me, but I don't believe rdoc
    is to that level yet. Would be good to get it there. I'll have to dig
    up the rdoc 'project team' info, if any and take a look at todos for
    the rdoc tool itself.

    Rob Muhlestein, Jan 3, 2007
  10. Mat Schaffer wrote:
    > On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#following-ruby

    Mat, I noticed that this still refers to the ruby_1_8 branch but I
    assume helping document stuff for 1.9 is needed as well. I wonder if
    matz would prefer documentation patches be submitted for
    braches/matzruby or the new yarv-based trunk. Then there is the
    question of making sure useful documentation applied to 1_8 that is
    still relevant to 1_9/2.0 is also applied there. Anyone know? If not,
    I'll take the question to the ruby-doc list. Thanks.

    Rob Muhlestein, Jan 3, 2007
  11. Jay Bornhoft

    Mat Schaffer Guest

    On Jan 3, 2007, at 1:10 AM, Rob Muhlestein wrote:

    > Mat Schaffer wrote:
    >> On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    >> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/#following-ruby

    > Mat, I noticed that this still refers to the ruby_1_8 branch but I
    > assume helping document stuff for 1.9 is needed as well. I wonder if
    > matz would prefer documentation patches be submitted for
    > braches/matzruby or the new yarv-based trunk. Then there is the
    > question of making sure useful documentation applied to 1_8 that is
    > still relevant to 1_9/2.0 is also applied there. Anyone know? If not,
    > I'll take the question to the ruby-doc list. Thanks.

    The word from Eric is that you should work against the trunk but also
    provide 1_8 compatible diffs unless the port to 1_8 is trivial. In
    which case one of the committers can do it by hand. Not sure how
    that applies to the matzruby branch. That could just be his testbed,
    in which case it probably shouldn't have much effort spent on
    documentation.
    -Mat

    Mat Schaffer, Jan 3, 2007
  12. Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > documentation requirements.

    The Watir project is looking for some rdoc help, see the last entry in
    this thread:
    http://forums.openqa.org/thread.jspa?threadID=5974&tstart=0

    Chris McMahon, Jan 3, 2007
  13. Rob Muhlestein wrote:
    > Jay Bornhoft wrote:
    > > As part of my effort to become increasingly more involved in the Ruby
    > > community, I would like to volunteer my efforts towards any rdoc -
    > > documentation requirements.

    > This touches on two broader topics as well 1) a master prioritized
    > TODO/Ruby list other than the 'project want ads' on RubyForge and 2)
    > the state of the rdoc tool itself. A casual search of google doesn't
    > reveal anything immediately.
    >
    > Seems like we could use some top priorites for the new year laid out
    > and focus efforts on those, but probably a little oversimplified given
    > the scope and number of Ruby projects out there to be done.
    >
    > Personally I'd like to see RAA/RubyGems registry a-la CPAN-ish stuff
    > materialize more this year with focus on preventing filename clashes
    > and namespace registration along with self-documenting code that
    > produces web site documentation just by uploading it. I don't see that
    > in RAA currently, but there is a lot going on out there. And then we
    > could build on that with a community-based test grid and ratings, that
    > would be cool.
    >
    > So far I find rdoc far from from the Perl POD or even JavaDoc I grew
    > accustomed to. I realize there are other priorities. I do wonder why
    > POD wasn't just stolen verbatum. It didn't seem 'broken' to me. People
    > write entire books in POD. Please correct me, but I don't believe rdoc
    > is to that level yet. Would be good to get it there. I'll have to dig
    > up the rdoc 'project team' info, if any and take a look at todos for
    > the rdoc tool itself.

    Ok, I confess I skipped over the "Writing CGI Scripts" section of the
    pickax and
    missed the stuff about RDoc Templates, which seem to cover anything POD
    or JavaDoc every wanted and more with ability to extend, so I think
    potential
    all-in-rdoc book writers might be covered or easily could be without
    too much
    additional work. We will really know rdoc is up to snuff when O'reilly
    agrees
    on a set of RDoc templates to use for rdoc Ruby publications, like they
    do for
    Perl. Anyone know if such an undertaking/dialog has begun?

    Rob Muhlestein, Jan 3, 2007